This post is part 5 of our 12 Days of Finance series. Make sure to cast your vote for your favorite finance expert below!
In 1993, two brothers began an investment newsletter that quickly evolved into a successful multimedia financial services company. Today, David and Tom Gardner’s The Motley Fool–which includes award-winning website, Fool.com–has become a leading online financial information exchange.
Foolish Advice: What the Motley Fool Is All About
When it comes to these brothers, being a “fool” is a good thing. The Gardners based the company’s name on some of the most well-known and appreciated Shakespearean characters–the fools–who were “both instructed and amused, and could speak the truth to the king–without getting their heads lopped off.”
The Motley Fool offers a number of services designed to help investors of all kinds take control of their financial lives, including:
- Fool.com: The Motley Fool website publishes hundreds of articles around investment news, commentary and analysis.
- CAPS: This stock rating service provides insight into the performance of over 5,000 stocks, based on the feedback of Motley Fool members and Wall Street firms alike.
- Newsletters: Several subscription investment newsletters are backed by a team of analysts and offer superior stock and fund recommendations.
- Motley Fool Asset Management: These retail and institutional investment services are focused on providing exceptional long-term performance.
- Foolanthropy: The Motley Fool gives back with philanthropy–the program has raised over $3 million for charities recommended by the Fool online community.
Unlike most experts featured in the 12 Days of Finance, David and Tom Gardner don’t just give advice–they have built and continue to maintain a community of savvy investors who share their knowledge with others, so they can make well-informed decisions regarding how they invest their money.
Are David and Tom Gardner your favorite personal finance experts? Vote Team Gardner below!
Why These Fools Are Personal Finance Experts
The Gardner brothers do more than run a popular website. These two have established themselves as true experts in investing and finance. They have co-authored a number of bestsellers, such as The Motley Fool Investment Guide, You Have More Than You Think and Million Dollar Portfolio.
Additionally, Dave and Tom Gardner spread The Motley Fool message through:
- A nationally syndicated newspaper column (published in over 250 papers)
- Their newsletter David and Tom Gardner’s Motley Fool Stock Advisor
- The Motley Fool Radio Show–airing nationally and hosted by the pair
By following a strong set of core values and emphasizing the importance of the individual shareholder, David and Tom Gardner have established themselves as not only experts in finance, but influential community-builders.