Unemployment is a very real issue right now. If you’re concerned that layoffs at your job are eminent and your savings account won’t float you for long, take these steps to mitigate the damage:
- Make yourself indispensable: Make sure your employer knows how much you love working at your company, and show them what a great asset you are.
- Network: This is the time to be social. Join professional organizations and use social networks like LinkedIn, Facebook and others to get your name out there. Don’t be afraid to ask your friends if their companies are hiring.
- Credentials: There may be jobs available on the market that you want but require a degree or certificate. Think about ways to make that happen.
- Be creative: Think outside the box and open up your horizons. Your current job isn’t the only job out there.
- Emergency fund: Be sure you live on a budget and prepare enough emergency savings. You don’t want to be caught off guard not knowing how much money you need to survive in case you do lose your job.
- Family: You’re not in this situation alone. This impacts your family members, too. Tell them what’s going on, but bring them into the situation safely and positively.