- Columbus Day, or Indigenous Peoples’ Day, is a national holiday.
- It’s been officially recognized as a holiday since 1937.
- Most banks are closed on Columbus Day.
Columbus Day falls on Oct. 14, 2019, and has been recognized as a federal holiday since 1937. There’s a push to rename the holiday to Indigenous Peoples’ Day, as an effort that can be traced back to the early 90s. Berkeley, California, was the first city to recognize the holiday in 1992. Indigenous Peoples’ Day acknowledges the plight of Native Americans in the face of a centuries-old battle with colonialization and genocide. In April 2019, Maine became the latest state to officially recognize the holiday.
Because Columbus Day is a federal holiday, some government offices and schools close in observance of the holiday, but it is still a normal workday for many people. Find out whether your bank will be open for your financial needs.
- Are Banks Open on Columbus Day?
- Banks Open on Columbus Day
- Banks Closed on Columbus Day
- Banks Closed With Special State Exceptions
- Tips for Banking on the Holiday
At least 130 cities across the U.S. have renamed the holiday Indigenous Peoples’ Day as of 2019, according to The New York Times. Whatever it’s called, one thing’s for sure: Oct. 14 is still a bank holiday for most banks. To avoid a wasted trip, verify your bank’s hours before heading to a branch. If your bank will not be open, you can conduct online banking transactions or visit an ATM.
Although most banks will be closed on Columbus Day, the following banks will be open:
- American National Bank
- Chase Bank
- Huntington State Bank
- TD Bank
See Also: These Banks Are Open on Sunday
Here are the major banks that close in observance of the holiday so that you can plan accordingly. If you bank with one of these financial institutions, you’ll most likely need to wait until Oct. 15 to get to a branch:
- Amarillo National Bank
- Bank of America
- Bank of the West
- Barclays Bank Delaware
- BBVA Bank
- BMO Harris Bank
- Comerica Bank
- Eastern Bank
- East West Bank
- Fidelity Bank
- First Citizens Bank
- First Tennessee Bank
- HSBC Bank (closed for Canadian Thanksgiving)
- M&T Bank
- Peoples Bank
- PNC Bank
- Regions Bank
- Santander Bank
- SunTrust Bank
- Synovus Bank
- Union Bank
- USAA (Most centers closed)
- Wells Fargo
Get Your Money Sooner: 20 Perks of Direct Deposit
Some banks close for Columbus Day but keep certain branches open. See if your bank is one of these:
- KeyBank: KeyBank branches in the state of Utah will be open, but all other branches will be closed.
- U.S. Bank: Most U.S. Bank branch locations will be closed, but some branches will remain open at the discretion of the bank. If you are a U.S. Bank customer, contact your branch before visiting. In addition, many in-store retail bank branches will be open.
Although the regular branches of these banks will be closed Oct. 14, some customer service call centers will be open on Columbus Day — but it depends on the bank. Call your bank before the holiday to find out if you will be able to access your account via phone.
If you must do some banking Oct. 14 and your bank is closed, you can access your online banking account to check your balance, pay bills or transfer money. ATMs will also remain in operation for the holiday, so you will still have access to your cash. Or you can just do your banking the preceding Friday.
More From GoBankingRates
- 10 Best National Banks of 2019
- How To Save Money on All Your Monthly Expenses and Bills
- Your Complete Guide to Cashier’s Checks
- What Is a Money Market Account?
Sean Dennison has been writing about consumer finance since 2018 and is a regular contributor to GOBankingRates.
Bank hours vary by location and are subject to change. Always call your local branch to confirm.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of the bank advertiser, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. This site may be compensated through the bank advertiser Affiliate Program.