Are Banks Open on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day 2021?
To start the new year off right, you might want to drop by your bank and make sure your finances are in order. But because New Year’s Day is a standard Federal Reserve bank holiday, celebrated by most — if not all — banks, be sure to visit your bank before then.
Banks Open on New Year’s Eve 2020
Many banks will remain open on New Year’s Eve. However, hours might vary from normal branch hours. Here are some of the banks open on New Year’s Eve:
- Bank of America: Normal branch hours
- Bank of the West: Normal branch hours
- BBVA: Normal branch hours
- BB&T: Branches open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- BMO Harris Bank: Branches open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Capital One: Normal branch hours
- Chase: Branches open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Citizens Bank: Branches open 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Fifth Third Bank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Huntington: Branches open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- KeyBank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- People’s United Bank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- PNC Bank: Most branches open 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Regions: Branches open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Santander Bank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- SunTrust: Normal branch hours
- TD Bank: Many branches open 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- UBank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Union Bank: Many branches open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- U.S. Bank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Wells Fargo: Branches open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Keep in mind that some branch locations might be closed or have limited service due to the pandemic. Call ahead to make sure your preferred branch is open.
Banks Open on New Year’s Day 2021
New Year’s Day is a Federal Reserve bank holiday, so most banks will be closed Jan. 1, 2021.
Keep in mind, however, that many financial institutions have online and mobile banking options that you’ll still be able to access — even if your local branch is closed.
How To Access Your Money If Your Bank Is Closed
Online banking and ATMs allow you to access your funds even if your bank is closed. Many ATMs are open 24/7, and many bank branches even have drive-thru ATMs that are open when the bank itself is closed.
If you need to purchase a money order, options are still available. The trick is finding a provider that stays open long enough for you to complete the transaction. For example, Walmart sells money orders at its Supercenter and Neighborhood Market stores, which will be open on the New Year’s holidays.
2021 Bank Holidays
Start the new year off right by penning this holiday schedule into your calendar.
|2021 Bank Holidays|
|New Year’s Day||Jan. 1|
|Martin Luther King Jr. Day||Jan. 18|
|Presidents Day||Feb. 15|
|Memorial Day||May 31|
|Independence Day||July 4|
|Labor Day||Sept. 6|
|Columbus Day||Oct. 11|
|Veterans Day||Nov. 11|
|Thanksgiving Day||Nov. 25|
|Christmas Day||Dec. 25|
Every day listed here is a federal holiday, which means banks will typically be closed on these days. Always do your due diligence, however, and check your local bank hours to see if this is the case.
Bank hours vary by location and are subject to change. Always call your local branch to confirm.