When you’re rushing around until the last minute trying to check off every item on your holiday to-do list, getting to the bank might fall to the bottom. So it’s always helpful to know what’s open over the Christmas holiday in case you have last-minute banking needs. Although most banks aren’t closed on Christmas Eve, you probably won’t be able to bank on Christmas Day.
- Banks Open on Christmas Day
- Banks Open on Christmas Eve
- How Can I Access My Money if My Bank Is Closed?
- Bank Holidays
Christmas is a standard Federal Reserve Bank holiday and the last bank holiday for 2019, so all banks will be closed on Dec. 25, Christmas Day.
Although yours might be closed on Christmas Day, some bank branches will be open for limited or regular hours on Christmas Eve. Here are some banks that will be open on Christmas Eve, Dec. 24:
- Bank of America: Most branches open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Bank of the West: Branches open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- BBVA: Branches open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- BB&T: Branches open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- BMO Harris Bank: Branches open 8 a.m to 12-3 p.m., depending on location**
- Capital One: Branches open 9 a.m to 2 p.m.**
- Chase Bank: Branches open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Citizens Bank: Branches open 10 a.m. to 2-3 p.m., depending on location**
- Fifth Third Bank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.**
- Huntington National Bank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- KeyBank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.**
- People’s United Bank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.**
- PNC Bank: Branches open 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Regions Bank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.**
- Santander Bank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- SunTrust Bank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.**
- TD Bank: Many branches open 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- UBank: Branches open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Union Bank: Many branches open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- US Bank: Branches open 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., but widely varies
- Veritex Community Bank: Varies from branch to branch, with some branches closing
- Wells Fargo: Branches open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.**
Most banks observe pre-holidays with operating hours that differ from their usual schedules, so be sure to call your local branch to confirm its hours of operation on Christmas Eve.
Just because your bank closes early doesn’t mean you won’t be able to access your funds. Many ATMs are available 24/7 and only require that you know your PIN. In the event your checking account balance is running low but a friend or family member can loan you enough money to get you through the holiday, have them send you a payment through a mobile banking app like Venmo — or write you a check you can deposit into an ATM — so you can withdraw the funds.
You can also use a money order to access funds. Even if your bank closes early on Christmas Eve, Walmart stores can provide money orders, and they’re open later than banks on Christmas Eve. But Walmart will only cash MoneyGram money orders.
Banks shuttering for a federal holiday means you’ll need to do some planning if you bank at brick and mortar locations often. Keep a lookout for these upcoming 2020 federal holidays.
|2020 Federal Holidays|
|New Year’s Day||Jan. 1|
|Martin Luther King Jr. Day||Jan. 20|
|Presidents Day||Feb. 17|
|Memorial Day||May 25|
|Independence Day||July 4|
|Labor Day||Sept. 7|
|Indigenous Peoples Day||Oct .12|
|Veterans Day||Nov. 11|
|Thanksgiving Day||Nov. 26|
|Christmas Day||Dec. 25|
Holiday banking can be a little tricky, but some advance planning and research into your bank’s Christmas schedule will help you keep your finances on track this holiday season.
More From GoBankingRates
- Your Best Age To Retire
- How To Write a Check (with Visuals)
- Where To Get Small Personal Loans
- CVS’ Holiday Hours for Christmas and New Year’s
Taylor Bell contributed to the reporting of this article.
Bank hours vary by location and are subject to change. Always call your local branch to confirm.
**Branch(es) did not have final holiday schedule when called.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of the bank advertiser, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. This site may be compensated through the bank advertiser Affiliate Program.