The Police and Fire Federal Credit Union is the largest credit union in the Philadelphia area. PFFCU serves Philadelphia police officers, firefighters and their family members, providing members with a variety of financial services, with a focus on loans and deposits. Check out this Police and Fire Federal Credit Union review to find out if it’s the best credit union for you.
Police and Fire Federal Credit Union Review
The Police and Fire Federal Credit Union serves its members at 14 bank branches located throughout the Philadelphia area. PFFCU also has a loan center and a local full-service call center. In addition, you can access your accounts 24/7 with online banking, mobile banking and 24-hour EXPRESSBanker. The credit union — which is federally insured by the National Credit Union Administration — offers loans with low rates as well as high-yield deposits.
Bank branches are open Monday through Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., Thursday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. (with the exception of the Arch Street location, which closes at 6 p.m.) and Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Learn: What Is a Credit Union?
Police and Fire Federal Credit Union Membership Eligibility
All active or retired Philadelphia police officers and firefighters are eligible for membership with PFFCU. You are also eligible if your parents, grandparents, sisters, brothers or children are Police and Fire Federal Credit Union members. Additionally, you can become a new member if you work for one of the numerous employee groups, associations and organizations that offer PFFCU membership as a benefit. Applying for membership can be done online and only takes a few minutes.
Police and Fire Federal Credit Union Products and Services
PFFCU offers a number of products and services to help with your loan and banking needs, such as loans, checking accounts and more.
Real Estate Loans
If you are looking to purchase or refinance a home, you can choose from the four types of real estate loans that PFFCU offers:
- Home Purchase Mortgage: Features no application fees and low rates
- Mortgage Refinance: Can be used to reduce your term or monthly payment, or use the equity you’ve earned
- Home Equity Loans: Features no application fee or closing costs; available terms range from five to 20 years with rates are as low as 3.99% APR
- Home Equity Line of Credit: Features no application fee or closing costs; loans up to $600,000
There is no down payment required to take out a car loan with PFFCU. Plus, you can get up to 120 percent financing. Rates for auto loans are as low as 3.24% APR, which is below the national average.
Apply online to receive a personal loan that matches your funding needs. PFFCU offers three types of personal loans:
- PFFCU Credit Card: Variable rates as low as 10.40% APR — which is over 6 percent below the national average — plus earn Rewards Points on qualified purchases
- Personal Line of Credit: Line of credit of up $10,000 with variable rates as low as 9.65% APR
- Signature Loans: Terms up to five years, and fixed rates as low as 9.90% APR
Pay no minimum balance and no monthly fees with a PFFCU checking account. Plus, you’ll get a 1.00% APR on the first $5,000 in your account.
Savings and CDs
Those looking to save with PFFCU also have a number of options that are insured by the NCUA:
- Premium Yield and Money Market Plus Accounts: No service charges and no minimum balance fees with these high-yield accounts
- Certificates: Three- to five-year terms are available
- IRA: High-yield savings for retirement
- Savings Account: $5 minimum balance is required, and no minimum balance fees
- Share Accounts for Minors: Maximize returns while saving for your child’s future
Related: 10 Best Credit Unions for CD Rates
Additional Account Services
In addition to all of the products and services listed above, PFFCU offers:
- Mobile app, online banking and 24-hour EXPRESSBanker
- Phone and mail deposits
- TruStage life insurance
- Investment services
- Income tax preparation
- Visa gift cards
Police and Fire Federal Credit Union Pros and Cons
If you are eligible for membership and live near one of the 14 Police and Fire Federal Credit Union locations, PFFCU could be a good choice for you. The credit union offers competitive credit union rates for auto loans, home equity loans and credit cards, and has a number of additional loans and banking services available. PFFCU also has free checking and gives members 24/7 access to their accounts through online and mobile banking.
The Police and Fire Federal Credit Union might not be the best choice for you if you don’t live near one of its branches and prefer to do your banking in person. PFFCU also has limited customer service hours: Representatives are available only during business hours Monday through Saturday and are not available on Sunday.
Click to see how much police officers make in every state.
More on Money