How Does Bank of America Mobile Deposit Work and How Long Does It Take?
Bank of America mobile deposit makes it easy to add funds to your account using any device with a built-in camera. The mobile app lets you know when you’ve reached your monthly deposit limit. In most cases, funds deposited by the 8 p.m. or 9 p.m. cut-off time are available the next business day.
How Long Does Bank of America Mobile Deposit Take?
How long it takes for a Bank of America mobile deposit to hit your account depends on the time zone where your account was opened, the type of deposit and when the deposit is made.
Check deposits made before the cut-off time on a business day are usually available the following business day. Cut-off times, based on time zones, are as follows:
- Eastern: 9 p.m. ET
- Central: 9 p.m. ET
- Mountain: 8 p.m. PT
- Pacific: 8 p.m. PT
- Accounts opened at Bank of America financial centers in New Mexico, western Kansas and El Paso, Texas: 9 p.m. ET.
If, for example, you opened your account in the Eastern time zone and you deposit a check before 9 p.m. on a Thursday, your funds will be available on Friday.
If you make the deposit after 9 p.m. on a Friday, your funds will be available the following Tuesday.
Deposits made on a Saturday or Sunday will be available on Tuesday. Deposits made on a federal holiday will hit your account on the first day following the next business day. If the holiday falls on a Monday, for example, your money will be available on Wednesday.
When Funds May Be Delayed
According to Bank of America’s Deposit Agreement and Disclosure, there might be instances where funds availability is delayed. In those cases, you’ll be notified by the next business day. The first $225 of the deposited funds will be available to you the next business day, however.
Special rules apply to new accounts. During the first 30 days your account is open, funds from personal check deposits usually are available by the fifth business day after your deposit. When you deposit certified or cashier’s checks, or teller, travelers or government checks, the first $5,525 of each day’s deposits are available before the second business day. The remaining funds are available on the fifth business day after the deposit.
Transfers are handled differently from check deposits. You have immediate access to funds transferred into your account from another Bank of America deposit account. However, when the transfer occurs after 10:45 p.m. on a business day, you won’t see it in your transfer history until the next day. Funds transferred on a Saturday, Sunday or bank holiday will show in your transfer history on the next business day.
Bank of America Mobile Deposit Limits
Bank of America imposes limits on total check deposits into your account made via mobile deposit. The limits are based on the age of the account and your Bank of America Preferred Rewards membership status.
Bank of America Preferred Rewards Members:
- Membership for fewer than three months: $25,000 per month limit
- Membership for more than three months: $50,000 per month limit
Bank of America Preferred Rewards Non-Members:
- Account open for fewer than three months: $2,500 per month limit
- Account open for three months or longer: $10,000 per month limit
Bank of America Mobile Deposit Fees
There’s no fee to use Bank of America mobile deposit. However, your wireless carrier might charge messaging or data fees.
How Does Bank of America Mobile Deposit Work?
You make mobile deposits using the Bank of America mobile app, which is available from Google Play and Apple’s App Store.
Mobile App Features
On either platform, the app is a powerful tool not just for managing your accounts, but for organizing your finances as well. Here are some of the things you can do:
- Review account activity
- Check loan and credit card balances
- Transfer funds between Bank of America accounts
- Send money using Zelle
- Pay bills and schedule bill payments
- Deposit checks
- Take advantage of special offers
- Stay on top of your budget with the spending and budgeting tool
The app features Erica, a virtual assistant who can help you use the app and send alerts with financial information and advice. You also can use the app to contact customer service in the event you need live assistance or want to schedule an appointment with an account specialist. Security features such as Touch ID and Face ID protect your accounts against fraud.
Good To Know
You can deposit most types of checks online with Bank of America when you use the mobile app. Eligible check types are personal and business checks, cashier’s checks, and government and treasury checks.
How To Deposit Checks With Bank of America Mobile Deposit
Depositing checks requires just a few easy steps. Before you start, detach the check from any stub or other paper. Then position the check so it lies flat on a dark-colored, adequately lit surface.
Step-by-Step Guide to Bank of America Mobile Deposit
- Endorse the back of the check by signing it and writing “for deposit only at Bank of America” below your signature.
- Open the app and log in securely using your fingerprint.
- Select the “Deposit Checks” link.
- Photograph the front and back of the check with your smart device by selecting the “Front of Check” and “Back of Check” buttons in the app.
- Select the account into which you’re depositing the check.
- Enter the amount of the deposit.
- Confirm the deposit details.
- Tap “Deposit.”
In addition to depositing the check, you can use the app to save, print or email a copy of it.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Bank of America Mobile Deposit
Most users should find the Bank of America mobile deposit to be a valuable tool. But there are some drawbacks.
- Check deposits are fast, free and secure.
- Funds from cashier’s checks and government checks are available the next business day.
- Customers can save, print or email copies of the checks they deposit.
- Funds from personal check deposits into new accounts aren’t available for five days.
- Mobile deposit isn’t available for money orders, travelers checks or third-party checks.
- Bank of America imposes a monthly limit on check deposits. The app will track how many deposits you have remaining.
Is Bank of America Mobile Deposit the Right Choice for You?
Bank of America mobile deposit provides a quick, easy way for customers to deposit money into their accounts. Although there are some exclusions to the types of checks you can deposit this way, the most common — personal, cashier’s and government-issued checks — are compatible.
That said, the basic mobile deposit capabilities are standard issue. What sets Bank of America’s mobile app apart from other major bank apps are the virtual assistant and budgeting tool that can help you manage all aspects of your finances, and even schedule a face-to-face meeting with an account specialist.
Information is accurate as of Nov. 11, 2020.