If you’ve stayed at one of the Marriott’s vacation properties, you’ve probably heard of the Marriott Bonvoy rewards program. Members of the program receive Bonvoy points every time they book a reservation with Marriott or one of its several brands.
Whether you’ve already signed up and started racking up points or are still considering signing up for the Marriott Bonvoy rewards program, you’re likely wondering how much money Bonvoy points are worth.
The Marriott points value varies depending on which property you book. Point values typically range from 0.727 cents to 1.365 cents per point, with an average of 1.08 cents per point.
How Much Money Are Marriott Points Worth?
The value of Marriott Bonvoy points varies wildly by location. For example, here are five resorts and hotels, along with the cost per night and the point values for each one:
- Grand Bohemian Hotel Orlando: It costs $465 per night to book a room at the Grand Bohemian Hotel in Orlando. However, you can instead use 40,000 Bonvoy points to book at this hotel. That means the Marriott points value for this hotel is 1.163 cents per point.
- Courtyard New York Manhattan: You’ll pay $436 or 60,000 Bonvoy points per night to stay at the Courtyard New York Manhattan. That works out to a point value of 0.727 cents per point.
- San Francisco Proper Hotel: You’ll pay $379 or 46,000 points per night at the San Francisco Proper Hotel. That means Marriott Bonvoy points are worth 0.824 cents per point at this hotel.
- The St. Regis Rome: The St. Regis Rome costs €1029 per night. At time of publication, that works out to $1,078.13. You can also pay 79,000 Bonvoy points per night, giving the points a value of 1.365 cents each.
- W London: The W London has rooms starting at £755 per night, which at time of publication is about $923.10. You can also pay 70,000 points for a room. That gives the points a value of 1.319 cents each.
What Is the Average Marriott Points Value?
The only way to get a true average of the Mariott points value is to figure out the per-point value at thousands of hotels and resorts individually and average them out. However, it is possible to give a roundabout figure here.
When you average the value per point of all listings above, you’ll find that the average point value for this data sample is about 1.08 cents each. However, this is a very rough figure, and Mariott doesn’t share its average point value with the public.
How To Estimate the Average Marriott Points Value
If you want to estimate the average dollar value of Marriott Bonvoy points yourself, use the following steps:
- Find five offerings: Start by signing up for the Marriott Bonvoy rewards program and searching for five hotel offerings in three big cities in the United States and two large international cities.
- Determine points values for each offering: Next, divide each room’s dollar cost by the room’s point cost to determine how much points were worth at each Marriott location.
- Average the results: Finally, add the point values of all five locations together and divide the result by five to get the average point value across all destinations.
Keep in mind that Marriott has more than 8,000 properties around the world. Your point value may vary significantly from the 1.08 cents per point average cited above depending on which properties you check.
How To Determine How Much Marriott Bonvoy Points Are Worth for Specific Trips
The best way to determine how much value you’re getting from each Marriott Bonvoy point you use is to do the math for the specific trips you plan. The point value formula is as follows:
Per Point Value = Dollar Cost / Points Cost
So, if you find a room that costs either $400 or 42,000 points per night, your equation looks like this:
0.952 Cents = Per Point Value = $400 / 42,000
Can You Buy Additional Marriott Bonvoy Points?
You can purchase additional Marriott Bonvoy points at a rate of $12.50 per 1,000 points. That means it costs 1.25 cents per point to purchase additional points.
If you compare this to the average value of Bonvoy points, you may find that buying points is not worth the money. If the average value of Bonvoy points is 1.08 cents per point, buying points costs more than simply booking the hotel using cash.
On the other hand, there are a few exceptions where point values are over 1.25 cents, making it worth purchasing the points you need to book a reservation.
Before you buy points, do the math to determine if you’ll save money by booking with points or if you’re better off booking with cash.
The Marriott Bonvoy rewards program offers valuable rewards that are worth investigating if you travel often. You can sign up for free on Marriott’s website if you are interested in this program.
Frequently Asked Questions About Marriott Bonvoy PointsFind the answers to some of the most common questions about Marriott Bonvoy points below.
- How many Marriott points is $100?
- At an average value of 1.08 cents per point, it would take about 9,260 points to reach $100 in value.
- How much are 25,000 Marriott points worth?
- 25,000 Marriott Bonvoy points are worth approximately $270 in rewards based on the average Marriott points value of 1.08 cents each.
- How much are 100,000 Marriott points worth?
- 100,000 Marriott Bonvoy points are worth approximately $1,080 based on the average point value of 1.08 cents each.
- How many Marriott nights is 100,000 points?
- Since every hotel has a different offering, the number of nights you get for 100,000 points varies wildly from one location to the next.
Information is accurate as of Dec. 9, 2022.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by any entity covered in this article. Any opinions, analyses, reviews, ratings or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any entity named in this article.