With the average San Antonian carrying $5,177 in debt, according to a report by Equifax, few should be surprised that the city ranks No. 1 on Experian’s list of the top 25 cities with the highest credit card debt.
The study, which measures debt levels at the end of 2012, blames people being a little too merry with their San Antonio credit cards during the last holiday season for the substantial spending hangover.
We’ve compiled a list of the best credit cards in San Antonio to help residents make more responsible spending decisions this time around.
Lone Star Capital Bank
Low Rate Credit Card: Alicia Smith, assistant vice president of operations at the bank’s San Antonio’s Division, explained its features:
- $0 annual fee
- After its six-month introductory rate of 2.9 percent, the interest rate is prime plus 6.99 percent
- Collision damage waiver protection for rental cars is available for Visa card holders. Gold MasterCard holders enjoy an additional benefit of travel insurance.
Preferred Points Credit Card: Smith also recommends this card because — along with the same intro rate, rental car coverage and zero annual fee — card holders can also earn redeemable points. “Earn one point for each dollar spent up to 10,000 points per month,” she said, which can be used for “cash back, travel, merchandise and retail gift cards.”
San Antonio Credit Union
SACU Alamo MasterCard: Approved applicants enjoy world-wide access to cash at millions of locations, $0 annual fee, low introductory fee and variable long term rates. Rates are based on the type of credit card issued:
- Platinum: 2.9 percent for six months, then 9.9 percent variable
- Gold: 5.9 percent for six months, then 12.9 percent variable
- Standard: 8.9 percent for six months, then 15.5 percent variable
Firstmark Credit Union
New card holders benefit from Firstmark Credit Union‘s latest credit card promotion that both helps save customers’ money and is forgiving every now and then, to boot:
- A 3.5 percent introductory APR for 12 months
- No cost to transfer a balance
- $0 annual fee
- “Savvy” — a financial wellness-checkup
- Option to skip a credit card payment
Randolph Brooks Federal Credit Union
Randolph Brooks Federal Credit Union offers three credit cards. The Gold CashBack and Platinum Rewards cards offer rates as low as 9.7 percent, while the Platinum Preferred rate dips to 7.7 percent. All three San Antonio credit cards offer:
- $0 balance transfer and cash-advance fees
- Complimentary savings at online and retail merchants including cellphone, fitness and car repair partners
- Reasonable exchange rates for foreign purchases
Generations Federal Credit Union
Ashley M. Harris, associate vice president of corporate communications for Generations Federal Credit Union, explained its latest credit card offer:
- 2.9 percent APR for purchases, balance transfers and cash advances
- Secured and unsecured credit cards enable anyone to apply
- Online banking provides flexible payment and account management
- Businesses established in 2010 or later are eligible