The Chase Sapphire Preferred is an exceptional rewards card for frequent travelers with good to excellent credit. Cardmembers get a lot of perks for the card’s affordable annual fee, and it has an attractive new cardmember offer of 60,000 bonus points after spending $4,000 in the first 3 months, which is worth $750 toward travel redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards.
You may wonder: “What benefits come with Chase Sapphire Preferred?” Here is a rundown of the many benefits that potential and current cardmembers should know to make the most of this card.
Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits: 20 Perks Every Cardmember Should Know
The provides a host of travel and consumer perks and protections that can help cardmembers save money and bring peace of mind when traveling or shopping, including:
1. Multiple Ways To Earn Up to 5x Rewards Points
Sapphire Preferred cardmembers earn the following on eligible purchases:
- 5x total points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards and 2x on other travel purchases
- 5x points on Lyft rides
- 3x points on dining, select streaming services and online grocery purchases, excluding Target, Walmart and wholesale clubs
- One point per dollar on all other purchases
2. An Annual 10% Point Bonus
Chase awards cardmembers an annual point bonus worth 10% of the year’s total purchases. That’s an extra 1,000 points for every $10,000 in purchases.
3. Ability To Combine Rewards Points From Other Chase Cards
Cardmembers with multiple Chase cards can transfer points between cards to maximize point usage. They can even transfer points to another cardmember who lives in the household.
4. Multiple Ways To Use Rewards Points
Cardmembers can redeem points in the following ways with some redemption methods increasing point value:
- Book travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards and get 25% more value per point.
- Redeem for Chase Pay Yourself Back purchases and get 25% more value per point.
- Use Shop through Chase® to purchase from more than 450 retailers and earn an additional 1x to 15x bonus points.
- Purchase a gift card from more than 175 merchants.
- Pay with points for all or part of purchases from popular brands like Apple and Amazon.
- Transfer points to more than a dozen airline and hotel partners at a 1:1 point value.
5. DoorPass Membership
Cardmembers get a complimentary DashPass membership good for DoorDash and Caviar. The membership covers delivery fees and lowers service fees on eligible orders.
6. Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver
Cardmembers can safely decline the expense of the rental car company’s insurance. This perk covers reimbursement for theft or collision damage of any rental car paid for with a Chase card or rewards points.
7. Baggage Delay Insurance
Baggage delay insurance reimburses cardmembers for essential purchases, such as clothing and toiletries, that result from baggage delays over six hours when flying.
8. Lost Luggage Reimbursement
No need to worry about lost luggage costs when booking trips with Sapphire Preferred. Cardmembers may be eligible for reimbursement of up to $3,000 per bag per covered person.
9. Roadside Dispatch
A tow or roadside assistance is only a phone call away for cardmembers. Roadside Dispatch is a pay-per-use program available around the clock to cardmembers traveling within the United States.
10. Travel Accident Insurance
Suppose an injury or accident occurs during a trip booked on the card. In that case, the cardmember and family members may be eligible for reimbursement for medical and other expenses that result from an accident.
11. Travel and Emergency Assistance Services
Sapphire Preferred cardmembers can receive assistance if an emergency arises when traveling. Benefit administrators can connect Chase members with local emergency and assistance resources any time of day.
12. Trip Cancellation and Interruption Insurance
Chase will reimburse cardmembers who use the card to book travel that results in a cancellation or interruption. Reimbursement may be up to $10,000 per person and up to $20,000 per trip.
13. Trip Delay Reimbursement
This benefit covers expenses such as meals and lodging incurred during a delay of more than 12 hours or that require an overnight stay.
14. $50 Annual Hotel Credit
A credit of up to $50 will be applied to a cardmember’s account each year when the card is used to book hotel stays through the Ultimate Rewards program.
15. Purchase Protection
Eligible purchases made with the card are covered for 120 days against damage or theft. Cardmembers may receive up to $500 per claim and $50,000 per account under purchase protection.
16. Extended Warranty Protection
Some purchases made with the card are eligible for extended warranty protection up to an additional year beyond a U.S. manufacturer’s warranty of three years or less.
17. Fraud Protection and Alerts
Chase provides real-time round-the-clock fraud monitoring to all cardmembers. A cardmember is alerted by text, email or phone if any unusual card activity is detected.
18. Zero Liability Protection
Chase fraud protection won’t catch every fraudulent charge, but cardmembers need not be concerned about paying for such charges. Once Chase is notified of an unauthorized charge and determines it to be fraudulent, it will remove it from the cardmember’s account.
19. No Foreign Transaction Fees
The Sapphire Preferred card can help cardmembers save when booking travel and during their trips. Cardmembers do not have to worry about hefty foreign transaction fees when traveling internationally and using their Chase card.
20. A Significant Sign-Up Bonus
Perhaps the best Chase Sapphire Preferred benefit is the sign-up bonus. New Chase cardmembers who spend $4,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening earn 60,000 bonus points. Bonus points can be redeemed in any way, but according to Chase, the 60,000 bonus points are worth $750 toward travel booked through Chase Ultimate Rewards.
Chase provides a lot of perks for the Sapphire Preferred card’s annual fee and several ways to earn enough points to make this a worthwhile card. Staying up to date on Chase Sapphire Preferred benefits will ensure cardmembers get all they can from this travel rewards card. Those who travel extensively throughout the year and have excellent credit might wish to also consider the Chase Sapphire Reserve when applying for a Chase travel card.
Chase Sapphire Preferred Card FAQHere are answers to some popular questions about the Chase Sapphire Preferred card.
- Is the Chase Sapphire Preferred worth keeping?
- Frequent travelers, especially those who book travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards, will find the card worth keeping. It has a lower annual fee than some other travel rewards cards and an impressive rewards program.
- Does Chase Sapphire Preferred offer airport lounge access?
- The Chase Sapphire Preferred card does not provide complimentary airport lounge access. Sapphire Reserve cardmembers with Priority Pass get complimentary access.
- Is the Chase Sapphire Preferred hard to get?
- Those with good to excellent credit may be eligible for the Chase Sapphire Preferred. Chase may also consider an applicant's income, credit history and other factors to determine eligibility.
Information is accurate as of Aug. 31, 2022.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by any entity covered in this article. Any opinions, analyses, reviews, ratings or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any entity named in this article.