Marriott International has over 6,000 properties worldwide and 30 hotel brands, including Ritz-Carlton, Courtyard, Westin and Sheraton. If you frequent Marriott hotels, the Chase Marriott Rewards Visa can help maximize the rewards for your loyalty.
All Marriott Rewards program members receive a Marriott rewards number, free Wi-Fi, low rates and no blackout dates. As you move up to Silver, Gold and Platinum levels — 10, 50 and 75 nights, respectively — you earn point bonuses, enhanced internet, room upgrades and late checkout. Read this review of the Chase Marriott card to determine if it’s the best hotel rewards program for you.
Marriott Rewards Credit Card and Program Review
The Marriott Rewards card is a great addition to your wallet if you frequent Marriott properties and are looking for the best travel credit card. Here are some of the features of the Marriott Rewards program and card:
Points and Status
- Spending at Marriott properties with your Marriott credit card earns you five points for every dollar. You will also earn two points for every dollar spent on travel and dining, and one point per dollar spent on all other purchases. As long as you use your card at least once every 24 months, your points never expire.
- Using the card helps you move up to higher Marriott status levels. Each year you keep the card, you earn 15 credits toward your Marriott rewards status, ensuring you reach at least the Silver level every year. Plus, you will earn one bonus credit for every $3,000 you spend on the card.
Check Out: Best Ways to Use Credit Card Rewards Points
Protection and Insurance
- The card comes with trip cancellation and interruption insurance and lost luggage reimbursement.
- Your purchases with the card are protected for 120 days against damage or theft for up to $500 per purchase and $50,000 per account.
Fees and Interest Rate
- The card carries an $85 annual fee.
- Your interest rate will depend on your creditworthiness and ranges from 16.99% APR to 23.99% APR.
- The card does not charge any foreign transactions fees, so you can travel abroad without worrying about paying extra.
Pros and Cons of Marriott Rewards Credit Card and Program
To help determine if this is the best rewards credit card for you, check out the advantages and disadvantages of the Marriott Rewards credit card:
- The Marriott card offers five points for every dollar of Marriott purchases and additional perks for staying at Marriott properties.
- You can use your points at over 4,600 Marriott rewards hotels.
- When you redeem points for four free nights, you get a fifth night free.
- Each year you have the credit card, you will get a free hotel night.
- Depending on your tastes, it can be expensive to redeem points for nights. Lower-tier hotels cost only 7,500 points per night, but higher-tier hotels cost 45,000 points per night.
- If you don’t spend much money at Marriott, other hotel credit cards and other hotel rewards programs could save you more money and be more rewarding.
- Similar to other travel credit cards, redeeming your points for cash back is not an option.
- To be approved, you will likely need good or excellent credit.
Who Should Choose the Marriott Rewards Card?
If you stay at Marriott or travel frequently to redeem the points for your journeys, it’s a contender for the best travel rewards credit card. If you’d rather have cash in your bank account, it might make sense to review other cards to see if you could save more.
Chase is currently offering a bonus for new card holders that awards you 80,000 Marriott rewards points for spending $3,000 in the first three months. This equates to three to four nights in rewards depending on which tier hotel you choose. You also get an additional 7,500 Marriott points for each authorized card user you add.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of the bank advertiser, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. This site may be compensated through the bank advertiser Affiliate Program.