With $69.5 billion in sales in 2016 throughout its 1,802 stores, Target ranks as one of the top retailers in the United States. You can find everything from shoes to personal hygiene products to food and games at Target stores, which makes for one-stop shopping. Faithful shoppers return for the store’s many deals and low prices.
Target also offers a debit or credit card with perks designed to save you money and improve your shopping experience. So far, the card has saved shoppers more than $4 billion, according to the company. Learn more about the Target REDcard now and to save even more money at Target.
How to Get a Target REDcard
Before you can begin enjoying the benefits of a Target card, you’ll need to qualify for one. All cards are issued by TD Bank, which will run a credit check to determine your eligibility. Here’s a list of steps you’ll need to take to apply for a Target REDcard:
- Gather personal information including your Social Security number, driver’s license or other form of identification that proves you are at least 18 years of age.
- Visit your local Target for a paper application, or apply online at the Target REDcard website.
- Fill out the form with your full name, email address, physical address and telephone number.
- Accept the terms and click “Submit.”
- Wait to receive a decision, which will typically take between seven and 10 days. You can check on the status of your application by calling Target REDcard customer service at 800-659-2396.
Target Cards: Store-Specific Perks
Once you’re approved and have your credit card number, you can begin taking advantage of Target’s store-specific perks. Review them and decide if this is a good card for you:
- You’ll get 5 percent off purchases in the store or on the website.
- You can stack coupons — from Target and other manufacturers — for extra savings.
- If you need to return something, you’ll get 30 additional days to do it.
- You’ll receive free shipping to a store or your home on most purchases.
You get the same perks with the Target debit card as the credit card, plus you can get up to $40 cash back when you check out. The debit card links to your existing checking account for Target purchases.
Target REDcard Additional Benefits
In addition to all the money-saving perks you’ll get with this credit card, you can enjoy the convenience of managing your REDcard online. Just enter your Target login information from your laptop or cell phone and you’ll be able to view your transaction history, keep an eye out for fraud, enroll for paperless statements, set alerts and even add another authorized user to your card.
Aside from providing cardholders with an identity theft protection guide, Target card services also monitor every account for suspicious activity and contacts customers immediately if there’s any unusual activity.
Should You Apply for a Target REDcard?
The Target REDcard is an attractive offer if you’re a Target shopper. That said, the Target credit card comes with a high, 23.65% APR and a late fee of $38 — but if you make payments on time and pay off the balance each month, that shouldn’t be an issue.
Another thing to keep in mind is that the card doesn’t offer 5 percent cash back on all items — for instance, the offer doesn’t apply to prescriptions, eye exams, Target gift cards or shipping and handling of Target.com purchases. With no annual fee or inactivity fee and no charges for going over your credit limit, however, the Target REDcard is a good choice for Target regulars.
Up Next: 12 Odd Items You Can Buy at Target