By the end of 2016, Amazon saw an impressive $136 billion in net sales, according to database company Statista. Offering everything from furniture to clothing to electronics and an online platform with two-day shipping options, it’s not hard to see why this site is so popular. Customers who regularly buy items on Amazon might want to take advantage of the Amazon credit card, which offers 3 percent back on purchases made on the site.
Applying for the Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card is easy, using the online application. Just follow the steps outlined here to get your Amazon credit card and start earning cash back when you shop.
How to Apply for an Amazon Credit Card
The requirements to obtain an Amazon Credit Card are similar to standard credit cards. To apply for the Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card, you must be at least 18 years of age — or 19 if you live in Alabama or Nebraska — and you’ll need to follow a few instructions.
Here’s what you need to do to be considered for the Amazon credit card:
- Visit the Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Cards page and click the orange “Apply Now” button.
- Sign in using your Amazon login information, or set up an Amazon account if you don’t already have a login.
- Fill out your name, address, date of birth and annual net income information in the provided boxes. Afterward, click the “Continue to Next Step” button.
- Add your home phone, cell phone, email address, Social Security number and mother’s maiden name where requested. Click the “Continue to Next Step button.”
- Review the “Additional Information” page before selecting your delivery method and checking whether you’d like to take part in the optional card security program. Click the “Continue to Next Step” button when you’re done.
- Review the terms on the final page and check the box that you have read and agreed to the provisions listed within the terms. Click the “Submit” button to have your application processed.
Applications can be approved in as little as 30 seconds or as long as two to four weeks if Synchrony Bank, which authorizes the Amazon credit card, decides it needs a more detailed review of your application. Those who meet the requirements to obtain the Amazon Card and who would benefit from the Amazon rewards might still receive a rejection if they are not able to show adequate income or a high enough credit score.
Benefits of the Amazon Credit Card
The Amazon credit card offers cardholders a number of rewards and benefits. One of the best benefits is that you’ll earn cash back on all your purchases.
You’ll earn on purchases as follows:
- 3 percent cash back for Amazon purchases
- 2 percent cash back at restaurants, gas stations and drugstores
- 1 percent cash back on all other purchases
Cardholders can use their cash back rewards toward Amazon purchases; you’ll see your rewards balance during checkout, and no minimum rewards balance is required in order to redeem. You can enjoy these perks without having to pay an annual fee, and you won’t be charged any foreign transaction fees when you use your Amazon credit card abroad.
Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card vs. Amazon Store Cards
The Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card — the regular Amazon credit card — is different from the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card and the Amazon Store Cards. Here’s a closer look at the differences:
Amazon Chase Visa Card
The Amazon Visa — that is, the Amazon Chase card — can be used anywhere that accepts Visa credit cards, and anyone can apply for it. No annual fee is required for this basic Amazon credit card.
Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card
The Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card can also be used anywhere that accepts Visa, but you can only get this card if you have an Amazon Prime membership, which costs $99 per year. This card offers even more rewards for purchases made on Amazon: You’ll get 5 percent back, instead of 3 percent. Depending on how much you spend at the site, an Amazon Prime membership could be worth the money. Aside from the Prime membership fee, no annual fee is required for the Prime Rewards Visa.
Amazon.com Store Card
The Amazon.com Store Card can only be used on Amazon or on sites within the U.S. that allow Amazon this specific card as a payment option. The Store Card allows cardholders to take advantage of special financing for purchases of $149 or more, and no annual fee is required. You can get the upgraded Amazon Prime Store Card if you’re an Amazon Prime member. The upgraded card doesn’t require an annual fee either, but the required Prime membership will cost you $99 annually. With the Prime Store Card, cardholders can earn 5 percent cash back on qualifying purchases.
The Store Cards could be an ideal option for avid Amazon shoppers who want to use the special financing offers, but probably aren’t a good option for individuals who don’t shop regularly on Amazon. If you’re looking for a credit card you can use just about anywhere, the regular Amazon credit card would be the most useful of these Amazon cards.
Alicia Bodine contributed the reporting for this article.