With a convenient drive-thru or the option for personal service from a barista, Starbucks is a popular coffeehouse destination for people seeking a caffeine fix. To make your purchases more tempting, Starbucks offers a rewards program that allows you to earn Starbucks stars toward your favorite food and drink, such as a panini or latte. For those who find themselves frequenting the chain, the upcoming Starbucks rewards credit card might be the best way to rack up and use rewards points.
Starbucks Rewards Program Review
With the Starbucks Rewards program, coffee and tea lovers can earn two stars for every $1 spent using the Starbucks app or a registered card at Starbucks or Teavana locations, at the Starbucks website and on qualifying Starbucks purchases in select grocery stores. Rewards members can achieve Green or Gold Level status. Here are the details for each Starbucks level:
Starbucks Green Level
Rewards members who earn between zero and 299 points achieve this status. Green Level members enjoy:
- Two stars for every $1 spent
- Free birthday reward
- Pay-by-phone and order ahead capabilities with the Starbucks app where available
- Free in-store refills
- Special member events and offers
Starbucks Gold Level
Once you earn 300 or more points, you’ll achieve Gold Level status. At this tier, you’ll benefit from everything included in the Green Level, plus the following:
- Monthly double-star days
- Personalized Starbucks gold card
- Reward earned every 125 stars
Check Out: Best and Worst Deals at Starbucks
Here’s a look at the restrictions for the Starbucks Rewards program:
- Stars cannot be earned on alcoholic beverages or Starbucks gift cards.
- Reward points cannot be redeemed for alcoholic drinks or multi-serve food and beverages.
- Free refills on brewed tea or coffee only apply on the same in-store visit.
- Birthday rewards expire one day after your birthday.
- Stars earned expire in six months.
- Mobile order and payment options are not available everywhere.
- Members must sign up for promotional email for special offers.
Starbucks Rewards Program Pros and Cons
The current Starbucks Rewards program is connected to a Starbucks card that you register online or on the Starbucks app. It does not involve a store credit card, credit score, credit report or credit history check at this time. To decide if the current rewards program is for you, check out these pros and cons:
- Free food and drinks
- Free in-store refills
- Birthday reward
- Mobile pay and pre-ordering at some locations
- Double-star days each month at Gold Level
- Easier reward achievement at Gold Level
- Ability to earn stars outside of Starbucks coffeehouses
- Earning and redeeming rewards restricted to certain items
- Limited life for birthday rewards and stars earned
- Member opt-in Starbucks emails required to get special offers
Starbucks and More: The Best Gift Cards to Buy This Holiday Season
Starbucks Credit Card Review
When you have a daily Starbucks habit, you’re in the perfect position to get something in return for your loyalty. And there’s something new on the Starbucks horizon: A co-branded Visa store credit card, the Starbucks Chase credit card. Starbucks and Chase Bank are expected to launch Starbucks’ first credit card this winter, which might prove to offer better deals than the current rewards program. And, it will certainly rank as the best credit card for Starbucks lovers.
The prospect of racking up credit card debt for designer beverages might be a deterrent to some customers, however. But, if the rewards credit card allows you to use it outside of Starbucks and has a competitive interest rate, it might turn out to be one of the best store credit cards available. Details for the Starbucks Visa are pending at this time, so check back at a later date to find out about the credit card application process and any new credit card reviews.
Are Starbucks Rewards Worth It?
For people who enjoy Starbucks products, the rewards might be worthwhile, especially the ones that you can earn outside of the Starbucks store. For example, if you enjoy stocking up your pantry with Starbucks coffee, you can earn from two to 25 stars on specially marked coffee products at select grocery stores. In addition, if you opt-in for email, you’ll be eligible for over a billion Bonus Stars that Starbucks makes available to members each year.