Ethereum (ETH) Price Prediction 2022
When it comes to an ethereum price prediction, some experts say the cryptocurrency could reach record prices in 2022. However, a continuous downtrend has been forming. An uncertain macroeconomic environment could continue to drive the price lower just as easily.
What Is Ethereum?
Ethereum is a layer-1 blockchain solution and the second most valuable cryptocurrency globally by market capitalization. Ethereum’s decentralized ecosystem focuses on banking, gaming and app creation, leading to it being dubbed the “world’s programmable blockchain.” Ethereum is also the name of the native cryptocurrency on the Ethereum blockchain.
How Does Ethereum Work?
Wondering what the ethereum coin can do? As the native cryptocurrency of the Ethereum blockchain, it is used for transactions across roughly 3,000 decentralized applications built on the blockchain by the developer community. Validators also receive rewards in ethereum in exchange for securing the network, storing data and processing transactions.
Many holders choose to retain ethereum tokens with the expectation that as the network grows, so will the value of each ethereum token. Ethereum holders can also “stake” their crypto with reputable exchanges such as Binance.US and Coinbase to earn interest from the asset.
Ethereum (ETH) Price Prediction 2022
Investors can examine the ethereum price prediction from two angles: the bull case and the bear case. The most bullish analysts predict ethereum could reach over $4,500 in 2022 if an upcoming “Merge” upgrade is successful, according to NextAdvisor.
Experts surveyed by Finder predict anywhere from a low of $500, in the case of a deepening selloff, to $3,000 in the event of a successful Merge launch.
The Bull Case for Ethereum
The adoption of the Ethereum blockchain has sped up drastically in recent years. It is a leader in terms of the number of developers and growth in transaction volume. Moreover, brand recognition has increased, and the price of ethereum tokens has appreciated significantly.
There are now roughly 600 crypto exchanges processing billions of dollars in transaction volume every single day. Separate from exchanges, neobanks such as Revolut and established fintech giants like PayPal have joined the cryptocurrency revolution to meet customer needs. Crypto has become more accessible in general, and for ethereum — as one of the most prominent crypto assets — this is favorable.
Perhaps the most exciting development this year is “The Merge,” which is expected to be complete on Sept. 14 or 15, according to the newest update from Ethereum. The Ethereum Merge will shift the network from the existing proof-of-work mechanism to proof-of-stake, eliminating the need for mining. Staked ethereum tokens will secure the network.
This is a major milestone as part of the Ethereum 2.0 rollout, which aims to improve scalability and reduce transaction fees. The weeks leading up to the Merge have seen record inflows as investors have bought up tokens in anticipation of the upgrade, CoinTelegraph reported.
At present, 30 transactions are processed per second on the Ethereum blockchain. The Merge could increase that by 10%, according to a Citigroup research report detailed in a CoinDesk article. A future planned upgrade nicknamed the Surge is expected to grow transaction processing speed to 100,000 per second.
Last but not least, a key measure to examine is the crypto fear and greed index. The indicator shows the market is currently in “Fear” territory. That means there’s room for increased demand, which could support higher ethereum prices.
The Bear Case for Ethereum
One of the primary concerns is the macroeconomic environment. Almost all asset classes declined in the first half of 2022, suggesting a risk-off market is underway. Fears of a “crypto winter” have arisen as a result. Ethereum transaction volume has been volatile in recent months, possibly due to fears of a retraction in overall consumer spending.
The Ethereum founder himself, Vitalik Buterin, has also expressed concerns recently about exuberant non-fungible token trading. Many NFT marketplaces, such as OpenSea, value NFTs in ethereum. So, should there be a decline in the NFT wave, which is tied closely to cryptocurrency, it may result in negative consequences for the ethereum price because of a sell-off.
On top of that, the Ethereum blockchain faces growing competition from other layer-1 blockchains, all of which perform similar functions. These include:
Ethereum has been criticized for its inefficiencies in scalability and high transaction fees. Some of these blockchain rivals — dubbed “Ethereum killers” — are beating it on certain performance metrics.
The collapse of Terra LUNA also has created negative sentiment. The overall crypto market experienced broader selling pressure due to a loss of confidence in May.
Several experts have weighed in on Ethereum’s price.
Winkelvoss Twins on Ethereum
Tyler and Cameron Winkelvoss are the billionaire founders behind the crypto exchange Gemini. The pair predicted a “Crypto winter” — a period of flat trading — in the near term. This is due to the unpredictability of the current macroeconomic environment.
Kevin O’Leary on Ethereum
The “Shark Tank” billionaire referred to the current “panic event” as a “great buying opportunity” in an interview on the Impaulsive podcast. However, he previously proclaimed that Ethereum will always be second-best to bitcoin, according to CNBC. O’Leary has diversified across multiple crypto assets and is an advocate for the space.
James Wang on Ethereum
Last year, the ex-ARK Invest analyst compared Ethereum to where Amazon Web Services was in 2015. He has made an ETH price prediction that sees it possibly reaching $40,000 per token one day.
Current developments such as inflation are likely to have knock-on effects in the back half of 2022 for Ethereum. While the blockchain has exciting developments on the horizon, ETH is unlikely to reach new all-time highs this year. That being said, the long-term potential is still intact.
Ethereum Price FAQsHere are some questions people ask about Ethereum's price.
- What is the historical performance of Ethereum (ETH)?
- Since its inception, the Ethereum price per token has increased by more than 51,000%.
- What is the expected price of Ethereum in 2022?
- Conservative Ethereum price predictions estimate $500 per token in 2022. Experts with more aggressive targets see the price reaching $4,500.
- How much is Ethereum worth in 2025?
- Conservative Ethereum price predictions estimate $5,700 per token in 2025. Experts with more aggressive targets see the price reaching $10,000.
- What will Ethereum be worth in 2030?
- Conservative Ethereum price predictions estimate $5,000 per token in 2030. Experts with more aggressive targets see the price reaching $15,000.
- Did Ethereum rise in 2021?
- In 2021, Ethereum rose from $730 on Jan. 1 to $3,682 on Dec. 31.
Daria Uhlig contributed to the reporting for this article.
Information is accurate as of Sept. 14, 2022.
Our in-house research team and on-site financial experts work together to create content that’s accurate, impartial, and up to date. We fact-check every single statistic, quote and fact using trusted primary resources to make sure the information we provide is correct. You can learn more about GOBankingRates’ processes and standards in our editorial policy.
- CoinDesk. "CoinDesk."
- Forbes. 2022. "Billionaire Winklevoss Twins Issue Stark ‘Crypto Winter’ Alert After Bitcoin, Ethereum, BNB, XRP, Solana, Cardano And Dogecoin Price Crash."
- CoinMarketCap. "CoinMarketCap."
- Statista. 2022. "Number of Ethereum transactions per day on the blockchain from August 2015 to January 9, 2022."
- Coin Price Forecast. 2022. "Ethereum Price Prediction 2022 - 2025 - 2030."
- Finder. 2022. "Ethereum (ETH) price prediction 2022."
- Decrypt. 2022. "What Is Ethereum 2.0? Ethereum's Consensus Layer and Merge Explained."
- Business Insider. 2022. "Shark Tank's Kevin O'Leary explains why he's buying the dip in bitcoin and ether — and says the collapse of risky tokens will help the crypto market in the long run."
- Next Advisor. 2022. "Experts Predict How High Ethereum’s Price Could Go in 2022, a ‘Make-or-Break Year’."
- CoinTelegraph. 2022. "Institutions flocking to Ethereum for 7 straight weeks as Merge nears: Report."
- Alternative.me. 2022. "Crypto Fear & Greed Index."