Q&A: Can I Claim My Girlfriend as a Dependent on My Taxes or Is Saving Money on My Return Impossible?

can i claim my girlfriend as a dependent

Q: Last year, my girlfriend lost her job and I basically supported her. We’re not married, but we do live together — can I claim my girlfriend as a dependent on my tax return to recoup some of the money I spent?

A: The good news is yes, you can claim your unemployed girlfriend (or broke boyfriend) as a dependent on your taxes — IF she passes a number of qualifications.

In order to claim someone who is not a blood-relative as a dependent, they must qualify under the following four conditions:

  1. He/she is a U.S. citizen, or resident of the U.S., Canada or Mexico.
  2. You provided more than 50% of the dependent’s financial support.
  3. He/she lived in your home all year.
  4. He/she earned less than $3,800 during the 2012 tax year, usually not including Social Security.

If your girlfriend passes these qualification tests, congratulations: You may claim your girlfriend as a dependent on your return and receive a $3,800 exemption on your taxes.

Photo credit: hoyasmeg

Share This Article

Why Americans Have Been Obsessed With Presidential Candidates’ Tax Returns Since 1968

How to Find U.S. Post Offices with Extended Hours for Tax Day

These responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Featured In: