Los Angeles, Dec. 27, 2017 — Civil engineer and computer systems analyst are among the jobs expected to see an above-average rate of employment in 2018, found a new study by personal finance website GOBankingRates.
For those looking for employment in these fields, GOBankingRates found that Los Angeles has the most job openings and offers the highest salaries of any U.S. city.
To identify the top three cities for the best jobs in the nation, GOBankingRates looked at U.S. News & World Report’s list of “Best Jobs of 2017” and found the positions in each industry with at least 10,000 projected new openings over the next decade. GOBankingRates then looked at job listings on ZipRecruiter to determine which cities had the highest average salaries for each job, and of the top three cities, which had the most available job openings.
For more details on methodology and to view the full list of jobs, please visit: Best Cities to Score Your Dream Job
Best Cities for the Top Positions of 2017*
- No. 1 City: Los Angeles, $80,500
- No. 2 City: Chicago, $76,500
- No. 3 City: Houston, $76,000
Computer Systems Analyst
- No. 1 City: Los Angeles, $85,000
- No. 2 City: Fort Meade, Md., $83,500
- No. 3 City: Phoenix, $76,500
- No. 1 City: Dallas, $127,000
- No. 2 City: Houston, $117,500
- No. 3 City: Miami, $115,500
Elementary School Teacher
- No. 1 City: San Diego, $44,000
- No. 2 City: Atlanta, $42,000
- No. 3 City: Philadelphia, $40,500
- No. 1 City: Jacksonville, Fla., $78,500
- No. 2 City: Cleveland, $75,500
- No. 3 City: Hartford, Conn., $73,500
*Positions are listed alphabetically and do not indicate ranking.
- Dallas is the top city to look for work as a dentist. The city has the highest median dentist salary and the most job openings among the top-paying cities.
- Interpreters and translators rank highly on U.S. News & World Report’s list of “Best Creative & Media Jobs” because of the work-life balance the position offers. New York has the greatest number of translator jobs among the cities with the highest earning potential for the position.
- Chicago has the most available sales manager jobs out of the cities that pay the highest for the role. Chicago is also one of the U.S. cities where incomes are growing the fastest, according to a separate GOBankingRates study.
GOBankingRates.com is a personal finance news and features website dedicated to helping visitors live a richer life. From tips on saving money to investing for retirement or finding a good interest rate, GOBankingRates helps turn financial goals into milestones and money dreams into realities. Its content is regularly featured on top-tier media outlets, including MSN, MONEY, AOL Finance, CBS MoneyWatch, Business Insider and dozens of others. GOBankingRates specializes in connecting consumers with the financial institutions and products that best match their needs. Start your journey toward a rich mind and full wallet with us here.
Natalie Richter, Media Relations