TaxHawk Review: Find Out If This Tax Software Flies Above Its Peers
Ease of Use
Available Return Types
Tax Refund Value
- Free federal tax return filings
- Easy to use interface
- Free complex return types
- Maximum tax refund guarantee
- 100% accuracy guarantee
- Pro Support users have access to live support for just $24.99
- No full-service tax preparation options
- Limited support for free users
- No W-2 or 1099 imports
TaxHawk makes it easy for consumers and businesses to file their annual tax return documents. Federal filings are always free when using the TaxHawk website, and state filings only cost $14.99 per state.
The company also has two paid package options:
- Deluxe: For $6.99, the Deluxe service includes unlimited amended returns, priority email support and audit support.
- Pro Support: The Pro service, which costs $24.99, includes everything from the Deluxe package plus live phone support, live screen sharing, personal tax advice and filing assistance.
Users also have access to all tax forms, no matter how simple or complex. The TaxHawk website walks users through basic tax filings and forms for investments, small businesses, health savings account contributions and K-1 income, among others.
TaxHawk guarantees the highest possible tax return and 100% accuracy. Because TaxHawk is an IRS-approved e-file provider, taxpayers can also take advantage of e-file features once their return documents are complete.
The biggest drawback is that TaxHawk only provides quality support to paying subscribers. Taxpayers won’t find full-service tax preparation services with TaxHawk either.
Best Features of TaxHawk
Here are some of the most exciting features that TaxHawk offers.
Ease of Use
The TaxHawk website is easy to use. Once users register, it asks them to complete a series of questions. The questions are easy-to-digest, bite-sized bits and written so that they’re simple to understand.
When taxpayers answer all the questions asked, they simply click a button to e-file their returns and TaxHawk takes care of the rest.
Taxpayers won’t pay a dime to file their federal tax returns, but they will pay $14.99 for state filings. The service also has two paid options.
The Deluxe option brings the following perks:
- Priority email support from TaxHawk: The service responds to emails from Deluxe members before responding to emails from free users.
- Unlimited amended returns: Users can file amended returns without incurring additional charges.
- Audit assistance: Deluxe members have access to on-staff audit experts who can answer their questions about the audit process.
Pro Support: $24.99
Pro Support members have access to all features included for Deluxe members plus:
- Live phone support: Pro users can get their questions answered faster with phone support.
- Live screen sharing: Support staff members have screen-sharing capabilities to better assist Pro users.
- Personal advice and assistance: TaxHawk’s staff will offer personalized tax advice to Pro users and assist them when it’s time to file their tax returns. This service includes access to an enrolled agent or a CPA.
Available Return Types
TaxHawk supports both simple and complex returns. Some of the supported tax return forms include:
- Simple returns: All the forms needed to file a simple tax return.
- Homeownership forms: Taxpayers use these forms to write off homeownership expenses like mortgage interest.
- HSA contributions: The TaxHawk website includes the necessary forms to write off contributions to a health savings account.
- Capital gains: Users will find all the forms they need to report capital gains or losses from their investments.
- Small business tax forms: The website’s tax filing process includes all forms necessary for small business tax filings.
- K-1 income forms: Users have access to the forms needed to report business earnings, interest and dividends.
Tax Refund Value
TaxHawk guarantees its users the highest possible tax refund. If users can get a larger refund using a different tax preparation service, TaxHawk will refund any fees it has collected. TaxHawk will also give the user a coupon for a free amended tax return.
Other Features of TaxHawk
Aside from basic tax filing, TaxHawk also offers additional services. These include:
- Prior year return filings: Taxpayers can file their federal returns for free, whether those returns are for the current year or prior ones. However, prior year state filings will cost $17.99 each.
- Free extensions: TaxHawk also makes it easy for taxpayers to e-file an extension on their tax returns if they need a little more time to get their documents prepped.
Comparable Tax Prep Services
There are several tax prep services available, and certain consumers will like some more than others. Those who would rather pass on TaxHawk’s offerings should consider the following options.
TurboTax is a popular, do-it-yourself tax prep solution that includes a free service for simple returns. Those who need complex returns involving investment capital gains, small business documents or K-1 income statements, for example, will have to pay to file.
Users will also have to pay if they’d like full-service tax preparation. TurboTax offers a 100% accuracy guarantee, a maximum refund guarantee, all the forms taxpayers might need to file and e-file capabilities.
Like TurboTax, TaxAct is also free for simple tax returns. Those with complex returns will have to pay between $46.95 and $94.95, depending on the types of forms they need.
Like the other services mentioned, TaxAct offers a 100% accuracy guarantee and a maximum refund guarantee. Taxpayers can also sign up for start-to-finish filing by TaxAct’s in-house tax experts. Additionally, TaxAct users can easily import the previous year’s data from a competing tax software provider.
How To Sign Up for TaxHawk
Anyone interested in using TaxHawk to prepare their state or annual returns needs to sign up for an account. Here’s how that’s done:
- Go to the TaxHawk website.
- Click one of the many “Start Free Return” buttons on the TaxHawk homepage.
- Create a username and provide the information requested, which includes an email address and phone number.
- Verify the email address provided by clicking the link sent to it.
Once a user signs up for the service, they’ll be ready to start building their tax return documents.
TaxHawk: A Great Service That’s Free for Various Types of Taxpayers
Those who stand to benefit the most from TaxHawk are taxpayers who can capitalize on its free services. These taxpayers include those with simple returns, small business owners and investors.
While several tax software providers offer free services to those with simple returns, small business owners and investors usually find themselves having to pay to get their taxes done. TaxHawk eliminates those fees for them, allowing them to file for free, too.
TaxHawk’s free tax filing service goes above and beyond to ensure that its users can file their federal tax documents for free. However, those with highly complex tax returns should consider working with a full-service tax preparation service.
Good To Know
TaxHawk owns and operates FreeTaxUSA. Taxpayers who are familiar with FreeTaxUSA will enjoy the same quality of service when using TaxHawk.
TaxHawk FAQHere are some answers to common questions people have about tax preparation services like TaxHawk.
- What is TaxHawk?
- TaxHawk is a tax preparation website that was founded in 2001 by a certified public accountant and a team of professional software developers. TaxHawk is an authorized IRS e-file provider, and its website notes that it's an original member of the Free File Alliance.
- How much does TaxHawk cost?
- TaxHawk is free to those filing simple federal returns as well as business owners and investors. Filers who live in states requiring state tax filings must pay $14.99 per state filing. TaxHawk also offers a Deluxe package for $6.99 and a Pro Support package for $24.99, which includes live support.
- Is TaxHawk a legitimate site?
- TaxHawk has an A rating and is accredited by the Better Business Bureau.
- Is TaxHawk secure?
- Yes, TaxHawk is a secure platform. It encrypts data transferred to the IRS and submits it securely to ensure safety for its users.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by TaxHawk. Any opinions, analyses, reviews, ratings or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by TaxHawk.