Money Market Accounts
- Extended branch hours on nights and weekends
- Sign-up bonuses for checking accounts
- Rewards for having multiple accounts
- Low CD interest rates
- Monthly fees unless minimums are met
TD Bank Overview
TD Bank provides banking services at more than 1,200 branch locations and 700 ATMs throughout the East Coast, as well as online banking and a mobile app. It also offers investment services through its TD Ameritrade affiliate and its TD Wealth Private Client Group and TD Financial Services, plus small business and commercial banking services. GOBankingRates has named it one of the Top Banks of 2023 on the Best Banks list. It has brick-and-mortar locations in the following states.
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New York
- North Carolina
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- Washington, D.C.
Check out TD Bank’s account options and what they offer customers.
TD Bank Checking Accounts
TD Bank offers several different checking account options.
- TD Beyond Checking: No annual fee when you have direct deposits of $5,000 or more per statement cycle, or maintain a $2,500 minimum balance, or have a $25,000 combined balance across eligible accounts. If you don’t meet one of these criteria, the fee is $25.
- Convenience Checking: Avoid the $15 monthly fee by maintaining a $100 minimum daily balance, although this requirement is waived for students and those between 17 and 23 years old.
- Beyond Checking: Account earns 0.01% APY interest and will reimburse other bank’s ATM fees if your minimum daily balance is $2,500 or more. Fees will also be reimbursed for rush bill payments, outgoing wire transfers and two overdrafts per year.
- TD Simple Checking: No minimum balance and a $5.99 monthly maintenance fee. It’s a no-frills account that offers access to the mobile app and a discount on your first order of checks.
- TD Essential Banking: A “checkless” account that provides debit card access and online bill pay. There is no minimum balance requirement, and the monthly maintenance fee of $4.95 is waived for those aged 13 to 17, who can open an account with a secondary owner. There are no overdraft services, so you can’t spend more than what’s in the account, making it a great choice for a first checking account.
New customers can earn $300 by opening a TD Beyond Checking account or $150 by opening a TD Convenience Checking account, with qualifying direct deposits.
TD Bank checking accounts offer instant debit card issues, and curbside replacement of your card if it’s lost, stolen or damaged. You also get access to the TD Bank mobile app, and you can send and receive money with Zelle.
TD Bank Savings Accounts
TD Bank offers two savings accounts: Beyond Savings and Simple Savings.
- Beyond Savings: Pays 0.05% APY when you maintain a $250,000 minimum daily balance. If you link your Beyond Savings account to another TD Bank account, you’ll get a ‘bump’ rate based on your balance. You can waive the $15 monthly maintenance fee by keeping a minimum daily balance of $20,000 or linking your Beyond Savings account to a TD Beyond Checking account.
- Simple Savings: To waive the $5 monthly maintenance fee, keep a minimum daily balance of $300 in the account, or link to a TD Beyond Checking account. It has a low APY but it is applied to any balance.
TD Bank Money Market Accounts
GOBankingRates named TD Bank’s TD Growth Money Market one of the Best Money Market Accounts, and it ranks as one of the top overall banks in 2023.
When you open a TD Growth Money Market account, you can get a bump rate if you make a recurring transfer from your linked TD Bank Checking account of at least $50 per month. The standard interest rate for this account is 0.01% APY, but the bump rate increases as your balance increases.
The $12 monthly maintenance fee can be waived if you keep a $2,000 minimum daily balance in your money market account, or if you are 62 years old or older.
TD Bank CD Accounts
TD Bank offers TD Choice Promotional CDs with terms ranging from three months to five years. The interest rate is 0.05% APY, regardless of term or relationship.
You can also get a TD No-Catch CD, which pays the same APY, but with one no-penalty withdrawal per term.
The TD Step Rate CD is available for a three-year or five-year term. The rate starts at 0.10% APY and increases each year, up to 0.25% in year five. You also get one penalty-free withdrawal on each anniversary.
Take a look at some of the features used to evaluate TD Bank’s overall score.
Account Opening Bonus
The account opening bonus is becoming rarer by the day, and the requirements to earn one more are onerous. However, if you open a new checking account with direct deposit with TD Bank, you get $300 or $150, depending on which account you choose.
If you already have a TD checking account, you can add a savings account and get an additional $200, although you’ll have to deposit $20,000 to do so.
Breadth of Products
TD Bank offers just about every banking product you could need — checking, savings, home loans, auto loans, credit cards and more. There’s also a wealth of information available on the website to help your money work as hard as it can.
A toll-free number where you can reach a live person 24 hours a day, seven days a week is remarkable.
The TD Bank mobile app earns high marks from users. It’s rated 4.8 stars on the App Store, and 4.3 stars on Google Play.
How TD Bank Stacks Up Against Competitors
Even though it is regional, TD Bank can hold its own against nationwide banks in terms of product offerings, rates, and fees. Where it sets itself apart is availability — most locations are open seven days a week, and customer service is available 24/7.
TD Bank vs. Chase Bank
If you’re looking at other major banks, you might consider Chase Bank, which has a wide variety of credit card choices, each with its benefits. If having the perfect credit card is important to you, Chase is a good option to look at.
TD Bank vs. Wells Fargo
Wells Fargo is a national bank with 7,200 branch locations and 13,000 ATMs nationwide, so if you need a bank you can get to anywhere in the country, it may be a better choice for you. TD Bank branches are open more days and longer hours than Wells Fargo, however.
TD Bank vs. Bank of America
Bank of America is another choice to consider if you’re looking for a bank that has a national reach plus a wide variety of products. From student checking accounts for those just starting, to large investment portfolios for the well-heeled, Bank of America has a product for just about everyone.
TD Bank’s tagline of being “America’s Most Convenient Bank” is not hyperbole. There are not many businesses, let alone banks, where you can get a live person on the phone any time of day or night. And the Essential Banking “checkless” account is a great idea to put newly employed kids on the path to financial responsibility.
From lots of physical branches throughout its service area to longer hours than most banks to 24/7 telephone customer service, you can get your banking done any time.
Compare to Other Banks
- Chase Bank Review
- Wells Fargo Bank Review
- Capital One Bank Review
- US Bank Review
- All Bank Reviews
- Best Bank Bonuses and Promotions
TD Bank FAQHere are the answers to some commonly asked questions about TD Bank.
- Is TD Bank or Chase better?
- Chase does have a wider variety of credit card options available, but TD Bank has extended hours at their branches on both nights and weekends. These are factors to consider when choosing a bank that matches your banking needs.
- How safe is TD Bank?
- TD Bank is FDIC insured and all accounts are protected up to $250,000.
- What is TD Bank good at?
- TD Bank is considered a convenient bank with great customer service. They have a variety of checking account options as well as 24/7 customer service.
- What are some disadvantages of choosing TD Bank?
- TD Bank is located throughout the East Coast in the U.S. as well as Canada. Though it does have a highly rated mobile app, if you are someone who doesn't live in this region but likes to do in-person banking, this may not be the best bank for you.
Caitlyn Moorhead contributed to the reporting for this article.
To discover the Top Banks, GOBankingRates looked at the top national institutions (excluding credit unions) with over $100 billion in total assets. To determine rankings, GOBankingRates looked at the following factors: (1) checking product minimum deposit; (2) monthly checking fee ratio (percentage based on the minimum to avoid the fee compared to the monthly fee itself); (3) savings product minimum deposit; (4) savings product APY; (5) Bauer rating (out of 5 stars); (6) products/services offered (auto loans, mortgage loans, credit cards, investment services and insurance); and (7) the average mobile app rating between the Android and Apple app stores. All factors were then scored and combined, with the lowest score being best. Factors (1) and (3) were weighted 0.5 times, factor (4) was weighted 2.5 times, and factor (6) was weighted 1.5 times.
Rates are subject to change; unless otherwise noted, rates are updated periodically. All other information on accounts is accurate as of Jan. 5, 2022.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by any entity covered in this article. Any opinions, analyses, reviews, ratings or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any entity named in this article.