- Cardholders earn 3x miles on travel with no requirement to purchase through TD.
- The APR is highly competitive.
- Visa Signature rewards provide travel perks for cardholders.
- New cardholders can earn bonus miles by meeting minimum spend requirements.
- Balance transfers have an introductory APR for 12 billing cycles after account opening.
- Rewards categories are limited.
- There's no introductory APR for purchases.
TD First Class Visa Signature Credit Card Overview
The TD First Class Visa Signature Credit Card is geared toward consumers who charge their travel and dining purchases but rely mostly on cash or debit for the bulk of their everyday purchases. You earn 3x First Class miles on travel and dining and 1x miles on all other purchases made with the card. If you spend $3,000 in the first six billing cycles after receiving the card, you’ll earn 25,000 bonus miles worth $250 toward travel and dining purchases.
Like most travel rewards cards, the TD First Class card has an annual fee — $95, waived for the first year. However, it also has an introductory 0% annual percentage rate for 12 months on balance transfers and a comparatively low standard APR of 15.49% variable, so you can save on interest by transferring higher-interest balances.
Overall, the TD First Class Visa Signature Credit Card earns 4.3 out of 5 stars based on a number of card features. The card scores highest on the following:
The APR tells you how much it’ll cost to carry a balance on a particular card, and a recent GOBankingRates survey found it’s one the most important things people consider when it comes to picking a new card.
The TD First Class Visa Signature Credit Card currently has a highly competitive 15.49% variable APR. Although there’s no promotional APR for purchases, the card does offer one for balance transfers — 0% for the first 12 billing cycles after account opening. That means you can transfer balances from high-APR cards to lower your payments, save on interest and pay the debt down faster.
Foreign Transaction Fees
Foreign transaction fees can add a significant amount — around 3%, typically — to the cost of goods and services you purchase when you’re traveling outside of the U.S. In fact, they can completely cancel out any mile rewards you earn on those purchases. The TD First Class card doesn’t charge foreign transaction fees, so you pay the actual cost of your purchases and reap the full benefit of your rewards.
Caps on Rewards
For example, a card might start cardholders out with a high reward for purchases in a certain category, but only on the first $1,500 in purchases made in that category each year. After that, and until the new year starts, purchases in that category earn just one point per dollar spent. Averaged out over the course of a year, rewards caps can significantly reduce the average value of the points or miles you’ve earned.
The TD First Class Visa Signature Credit Card has no caps on rewards. You get unlimited 4x miles on travel and dining purchases and 1x mile on all other eligible purchases. What’s more, the miles don’t expire.
TD Bank has a range of accessibility services to ensure customers have equal opportunity to use the products and services offered by the bank. Here are some of the accommodations TD has in place to ensure access:
- Retrofitted branches
- New branch design with:
- Accessible doors, vestibules and restrooms
- Wheelchair-accessible ATMs, vaults and service areas
- Reserved parking, where possible
- Tablets with real-time video remote interpretation for American Sign Language during business hours
- Wheelchair-accessible ATMs with audio capabilities as well as Braille and large print
- Alternate document formats such as Braille, large print, e-text, accessible PDF and audio CDs
- Braille and large-print marketing materials
- Web accessibility tool for the visually impaired and non-native English speakers
- Relay-call compatibility, including video relay from Canada VRS
For accessibility requests and feedback, contact TD via teletypewriter at 800-361-1180 or by phone at 800-831-1158.
How the TD First Class Visa Signature Credit Card Stands Out
The TD First Class Visa Signature Credit Card stands out for being a straightforward travel rewards card with a basic set of rewards you don’t have to jump through hoops to earn. The 15.49% variable APR is especially noteworthy. Cardholders who carry a balance from month to month stand to save more with a low APR than with more or larger rewards.
Comparable Travel Rewards Card Options
Travel rewards cards are everywhere these days, so it’s a good idea to compare a few cards before you choose one. Here are two you might consider along with the TD First Class Visa Signature Credit Card.
Barclays JetBlue Plus Mastercard
The Barclays JetBlue Plus Mastercard earns 6x points on JetBlue purchases, 2x points at restaurants and 2x points at grocery stores. Cardholders also receive 50,000 bonus points — a $500 value — after spending $1,000 in purchases and paying the annual fee within the first 90 days.
Other benefits include 5,000 bonus points each anniversary, 50% in-flight savings and an annual $100 statement credit after the purchase of a JetBlue Vacations package of $1,000 or more. Also, fliers’ first checked bag is free. The card has a $99 annual fee and APRs ranging from 18.24% to 27.24% variable.
U.S. Bank Altitude Connect Visa Signature Card
The U.S. Bank Altitude Connect Visa Signature Card has a high APR of 18.24% to 26.24% variable and a $95 annual fee beginning in the second year.
But its rewards program is strong, offering 5x points on prepaid hotels and car rentals booked in the Altitude Rewards Center, 4x points on other travel, gas and EV charging, 2x points at grocery stores and on grocery delivery, dining and streaming services, and 1x point on all other purchases. New cardmembers earn 50,000 bonus points — worth $500 — by spending $2,000 in the first 120 days.
How To Apply
You can apply for the TD First Class Visa Signature Credit Card from the card’s main page on the TD Bank website.
If you’re already a TD Bank customer, log in to your account for a quicker application process. Otherwise, fill in your personal information on the application form. In addition to your name, address and primary phone number, you’ll need your:
- Email address
- Social Security number
- Monthly rent or mortgage
- Gross annual income
- Source of income
- Employment status
Once you’ve entered that information, click the Next button to continue the application.
To apply for a card by phone, call TD Bank at 888-561-0608.
Who the TD First Class Visa Signature Credit Card Is Best For
The TD First Class Visa Signature Credit Card is best for those who usually only charge dining and travel purchases — with no other categories earning more than one mile per dollar spent, there’s not much incentive to use the card more routinely unless you carry a balance. If you do, the competitive APR could save you much more in interest than you stand to gain from the higher rewards offered by other cards.
For more casual credit card users who carry a card for travel and dining but avoid charging everyday expenses, the TD First Class Visa Signature Credit Card is worth serious consideration. It earns unlimited miles that never expire, has a low interest rate compared to other travel cards and offers a good selection of travel perks from Visa.
FAQLearn more about the TD First Class Visa Signature Credit Card with these frequently asked questions.
- What credit score do you need to get a credit card at TD Bank?
- Although TD Bank doesn't disclose a minimum credit score, it does note that to be eligible for a credit card, you must meet certain income, residency, age, credit quality and other requirements. That said, the $5,000-minimum credit limit on Visa Signature cards – and the single published APR vs. the range of APRs most credit card issuers publish – suggest you'll need excellent credit to be approved for the First Class Visa Signature card.
- Does the TD First Class Visa have lounge access?
- The TD First Class Visa Signature Credit Card offers a number of travel benefits, but it does not offer lounge access.
- What does the TD First Class travel card cover?
- The First Class Visa Signature card covers up to $3,000 in lost luggage reimbursement. Cardmembers also receive travel and emergency assistance services and pay-per-use roadside assistance.
- What is the limit on a TD credit card?
- Credit limits vary by card and the cardholder's creditworthiness. The TD First Class Visa Signature Credit Card has a credit limit of at least $5,000.
Rates are subject to change; unless otherwise noted, rates are updated periodically. All other information on accounts is accurate as of Oct. 10, 2022.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by any entity covered in this article. Any opinions, analyses, reviews, ratings or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any entity named in this article.