How To Cancel Spotify Premium
Quality of time often wages war with frugality. Sure, you can carefully craft your playlist and listen to it over and over, but do you want to do so with ads? If you went from Spotify to Spotify Premium and didn’t find it to be worth paying for something you once got for free, it may be time to switch back and cancel your Spotify Premium account.
You could need to cancel Spotify Premium if you found a way to get it without paying for it. For example, if you subscribe to Walmart+, you get six months of free Spotify Premium. For any reason, it’s always good to know how to stop paying for something you no longer wish to use. Though you can cancel anytime, Spotify does slightly bury the opt-out option. Worry not, for you are in the right place to learn how to cancel Spotify Premium.
How To Cancel Spotify Premium: Desktop
Canceling your Spotify Premium account can be as simple as following a few simple steps, if you know where to look.
Canceling Spotify on a Computer
- Make sure you are logged in and then open the display name drop-down menu and click on Account — this will redirect you to your Spotify account page.
- Under Your Plan click on Change Plan.
- Scroll down until you see Spotify Free and select Cancel Premium and then Continue to Cancel.
- When you select Cancel Premium, it will redirect you to the Cancel Premium page. Click on Yes, Cancel to confirm your Spotify Premium cancellation.
How To Cancel Spotify Premium: Mobile
Where Spotify can get a little tricky is when you try to cancel directly from the app. As you cannot cancel Spotify Premium from within the mobile app, you instead have to sign in to Spotify via a web browser. Follow these steps:
- Log into and access your Spotify account page via a web browser — not the mobile app.
- Under Your Plan click on Change Plan.
- Once there, scroll down until you see Spotify Free and select Cancel Premium and then Continue to Cancel.
- When you select Cancel Premium, it will redirect you to the Cancel Premium page — click on Yes, Cancel to confirm your Spotify Premium cancellation.
How To Cancel Spotify Premium: Apple
If you run your subscription to Spotify Premium by paying through iTunes on your iPhone or iPad, you can follow Apple’s steps to cancel Spotify Premium.
- Open the Settings app and click on your name.
- Once there, tap the subscription option for Spotify.
- Scroll down and select the Cancel Subscription button.
The bottom line is that you shouldn’t continue to pay for something that is no longer serving you. Canceling your subscription to Spotify Premium doesn’t have to be a hassle, and you can do so anytime. Even if you switch back to your free Spotify account, you don’t lose any of your playlists or saved music — you can still log in and listen with ads.
FAQHere are the answers to some common questions about cancelling Spotify Premium.
- How do I cancel my Spotify subscription on my phone?
- Though you cannot cancel your Spotify subscription through the mobile app, you can cancel Spotify Premium on your phone by navigating to your Spotify account page via a web browser.
- If you pay for your subscription through iTunes, you can also cancel through the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Why can't I cancel Spotify Premium on my phone?
- You may not be able to cancel Spotify Premium on your phone if you are trying to do so through the app. Instead, you need to log into your Spotify account via a web browser, such as Safari or Chrome.
- Is Spotify Premium hard to cancel?
- Spotify Premium can be relatively easy to cancel once you know where to look. Just note that you'll need to navigate to the Your Plan page, then select Change Plan before you see an option to cancel.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by any entity covered in this article. Any opinions, analyses, reviews, ratings or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any entity named in this article.