Shopping in Chicago is world-renowned for the sheer selection and density of stores, boutiques and restaurants located on the Magnificent Mile and tucked in the city’s 77 unique neighborhoods. Finding which of these stores, banks and restaurants are open on Christmas Day in Chicago, however, can be a hassle. Knowing what’s open can be helpful whether you want to stop for a bite while on the road, you need more holiday dinner supplies or you forgot about the money you owe your cousin. Here’s a list of stores, restaurants and banks open and closed on Christmas Day in Chicago.
Chicago Restaurants Open and Closed on Christmas Day
Dining at one of these popular Chicago restaurants on Christmas gives you the opportunity to enjoy a day of celebration without all the grueling production. You could save some energy and possibly money when you share a special meal out with friends and family. You also might want to pick up your favorite local dish to complement your holiday meal or to replace a recipe gone wrong.
The following is a list of Chicago restaurants that are open and closed on Christmas Day. In the case of popular national chain restaurants, some Chicago branches may choose to close at their discretion.
Chicago Restaurants Open on Christmas Day
- ARTango South American Bistro — open 12 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Bistronomic — prix fixe menu from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Café des Architectes — brunch 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.; dinner 2 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Filini Restaurant and Bar — open 6:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.; special menu 12 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Nico Osteria — open 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Sixteen — brunch 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.; dinner 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Travelle — special menu 12 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Popular Chicago Restaurants Open on Christmas Day
- Burger King
- Denny’s — open until 12 a.m.
- Dunkin’ Donuts
- Panda Express
- Pizza Hut
- Sonic Drive-In
- Starbucks Coffee
- Steak ‘n Shake — open at 7 a.m.
- Taco Bell
Chicago Chain Restaurants Closed on Christmas Day
- Buffalo Wild Wings — open until 6 p.m. on Christmas Eve
- Olive Garden
- Panera Bread
Other Chicago Stores Open and Closed on Christmas Day
After-Christmas sales are some of the best deals to be had this season, and if the Black Friday deals were any indication, post-Christmas sales are not to be missed. Even if you aren’t planning a shopping spree on the Miracle Mile, knowing which stores will be open on Christmas so that you can buy forgotten necessities and additional holiday spirits or gifts can get you out of a jam. The following list details stores that will be open on Christmas Day, as well as the Christmas Eve closing hours for stores where you might get your dinner fixings or a last-minute gift for that someone special.
Chicago Grocery and Drug Stores Open on Christmas Day
- Safeway — open 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- 7-Eleven — open 24 hours
- Walgreens — open 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Holiday Store Hours on Christmas Eve in Chicago
- Best Buy — closes at 6 p.m. on Christmas Eve
- Big Lots — closes at 7 p.m. on Christmas Eve
- Costco — closes at 5 p.m. on Christmas Eve
- JCPenney — Christmas Eve hours vary by location
- Kohl’s — closes at 6 p.m. on Christmas Eve
- Macy’s — closes at 6 p.m. on Christmas Eve
- Meijer — closes at 7 p.m. on Christmas Eve
- Nordstrom — closes at 5 p.m. on Christmas Eve
- Target — closes at 9 p.m. on Christmas Eve
- Trader Joe’s — closes at 6 p.m. on Christmas Eve
- Walmart — closes at 8 p.m. on Christmas Eve
- Whole Foods — closes at 7 p.m. on Christmas Eve
Chicago Banks Open and Closed on Christmas
Banking during the hectic holidays can be difficult when you are trying to get enough money before you travel or need to cash your holiday bonus check before your local branch closes. Finding your in-network ATM in a unfamiliar city can be time-consuming — and settling for an out-of-network ATM can be costly. To help make getting to a branch or ATM easier when you need to conduct a transaction that you can’t do online, here are the holiday hours for banks in Chicago on Christmas Eve. All Chicago banks are closed on Christmas Day.
Chicago Holiday Bank Hours on Christmas Eve
- Bank of America — 3 p.m.
- Chase — 3 p.m.
- Citibank — 2 p.m.
- PNC Bank — 2 p.m.
- SunTrust — 2 p.m.
- Wells Fargo — 2 p.m.
- WinTrust Bank — 12 p.m.
Photo credit: Matt Katzenberger
Editorial Note: This content is not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of the bank advertiser, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. This site may be compensated through the bank advertiser Affiliate Program.