Are you tired of spending hours each week cooking for yourself or your family? A meal delivery service can help. Meal delivery services include all the ingredients you need to create a tasty dinner, eliminating the need for lengthy grocery store visits and recipe research. However, some meal delivery services can get pricey.
5 of the Best, Cheapest Meal Delivery Services for 2023
GOBankingRates analyzed the best, cheapest meal delivery services available, so you don’t have to. Here are the top recommendations:
- Mosaic Foods
- Blue Apron
Leading the list as one of the cheapest meal delivery services, Dinnerly offers ready-to-cook fare starting at $4.99 per serving. You can select meals from over 100 recipes weekly, with options for low-carb, low-calorie, gluten-free and vegetarian meals. You’ll also find appetizers and desserts in its selections. Customers new to Dinnerly can take advantage of its sign-up discounts, which currently include 24 meals for just $1.99 each.
- Meals start at $4.99 per serving
- Shipping is $11.99
- Lots of recipes to choose from
- Kid-friendly meal options available
- Some meals are ready-made and don’t require any preparation
- The $4.99 per portion option is only available for people who purchase 24 servings each week
- No delivery to Alaska or Hawaii
- Shipping is expensive and can add up quickly if you have multiple deliveries each week
Another meal delivery service that emphasizes affordability is EveryPlate. Through EveryPlate, you can choose from 26 recipes each week. While EveryPlate doesn’t offer quite as extensive of a selection as some of the other meal delivery services on the list, you’ll still find a variety of meals to suit your tastes. Meals start at $4.99 per portion on its most extensive plan, which includes 24 servings weekly.
- Starts at $4.99 per serving
- $9.99 for shipping
- The shipping fee applies once weekly
- Variety of options, including vegetarian and family favorites
- Meals can stay fresh in the delivery box for up to 48 hours
- Offers add-ons like salads and small appetizers
- Fewer recipes to choose from than other delivery services
- Only available in the contiguous U.S.
- No ready-made options
3. Mosaic Foods
If you prefer healthy meals with a global twist, consider Mosaic Foods. Mosaic Foods offers a variety of breakfast, lunch and dinner meals that are entirely plant-based. It offers both vegan and vegetarian meals and snacks.
- Breakfasts start at $5.99 each
- Lunches and dinners start at $9.99 each
- Free shipping for all orders over $100
- Excellent choice for vegans and vegetarians
- Several high-protein meal selections
- All meals are ready in five minutes; no preparation required
- Committed to sustainability; all shipping materials are recyclable
- Just a handful of options for each meal category (veggie bowls, family meals, soups, and pizzas)
- Delivery limited to major metropolitan areas on the East Coast and West Coast
4. Blue Apron
Blue Apron prides itself on its fresh ingredients and flexible meal options. Through its service, you can select from a variety of meals, including signature dishes and family-friendly options. Health-conscious individuals will find low-calorie and vegetarian selections. Add-ons include heat-and-eat meals, breakfasts, snacks and desserts. Each meal is carefully portioned to minimize food waste.
- Starts at $7.99 per meal for 20 weekly servings
- Shipping is $10.99
- A weekly rotating menu of over 70 recipes
- Special discounts for active military and veterans, students, teachers, seniors, medical staff and first responders
- Majority of ingredients sourced directly from producers
- Option to add on monthly wine deliveries
- Most meals require between 25 and 50 minutes of preparation time
- Not available in Alaska or Hawaii
HelloFresh is one of the most well-known meal delivery services in the U.S. Both Newsweek and USA Today recognized the company for its customer service and superior meal options. Signing up for HelloFresh gives you access to over 30 new recipes weekly, including traditional meat-based meals and low-calorie, pescatarian and vegetarian options. In each delivery, you’ll receive recipe instructions and nutritional details. Like several other meal companies, HelloFresh emphasizes sustainability. The majority of its packaging is fully recyclable.
- Starts at $8.99 per portion for 24 weekly servings
- Shipping varies based on delivery location
- Downloadable HelloFresh app to manage your plan directly from your smartphone
- Customize your meals by swapping sides or proteins
- Weekly plan discount of 15% for up to 51 weeks for military and veterans, nurses, medical providers and hospital employees
- Prepare most meals in 30 minutes or less
- Ships to all 48 states, plus a few cities in Alaska and Hawaii
- No ready-to-eat options, but some selections take just 15 minutes to prepare
- Strictly for dinner and lunch; doesn’t provide breakfast or desserts
The cheapest meal delivery services available are Dinnerly and EveryPlate. However, other options may appeal to those with particular needs. For instance, Mosaic Foods is ideal for vegans and vegetarians who want nutritious meals. Blue Apron is an excellent solution for college attendees on a budget, as the company offers a significant student discount. Residents of Hawaii and Alaska may look to HelloFresh since the company is one of the only meal prep companies that deliver outside the continental U.S. Whichever meal service you choose, you’ll likely spend less time in the grocery store and the kitchen.
- How much does HelloFresh cost weekly?
- The weekly cost of HelloFresh depends on how many meals and servings you order. Two meals per week for two people run $12.49 per serving, while six meals for four start at $8.99 per serving. You'll pay an additional shipping fee for your order, which will vary depending on your delivery location.
- Do meal delivery services actually save you money?
- The budget-friendliness of meal delivery services depends on your current eating habits. If you regularly eat out at restaurants, you'll likely see more savings from a meal delivery service than someone who primarily cooks from home.
- Is HelloFresh expensive?
- HelloFresh isn't the absolute cheapest meal delivery service available, but it can save you money. According to the company's website, customers who order meals through HelloFresh can save up to 25% on their weekly grocery bill.
Information is accurate as of July 31, 2023.