If you love sandwiches, you have a guy named John Montagu to thank. Montagu was better known as the fourth Earl of Sandwich — and he was known for gobbling down meat and bread while he gambled, thus inventing the sandwich.
Every year on Nov. 3, National Sandwich Day — not to be confused with National Hoagie Day in May — gives businesses and restaurants a reason to offer sandwich coupons, deals and discounts. This year, it’s up to you to make the Earl of Sandwich proud by seeking out the best savings.
Blimpie, Quizno’s and Other Stores Celebrating Sandwich Day
These restaurants, sandwich shops, eateries and websites are offering cheap or even free sandwiches — take a bite out of some of the best offers.
- Blimpie: Join the Blimpie EClub and you’ll get a free regular sub with the purchase of a regular sub and regular drink.
- Burger King: Burger King is offering several sandwich deals, including two for $6 Whoppers, two for $4 Croissan’wiches and two for $6 mix and match.
- Cousin’s Subs: Coupon code SHARE1 gets you $1 off your first combo meal.
- D’Angelo: You don’t need a coupon code to get two grilled sandwiches for $11.99.
- Einstein Bros. Bagels: Join the Shmear Society and you’ll get not only a free bagel with shmear — that’s cream cheese, in case you were wondering — but also a free egg sandwich with a purchase on your birthday.
- Firehouse Subs: Sign up for Firehouse rewards and you’ll be rewarded with a free large drink when you purchase a sub.
- Honeybaked Ham: Join the Honeybaked Ham rewards program and you’ll get a free ham classic sandwich. No coupon code is needed to enjoy this offer.
- Mazzio’s Italian Eatery: Print this coupon to get a Mazzio’s Signature Calzone Ring for just $8.99 through the end of the year. Although it’s not exactly a sandwich, you do pick it up and eat it with your hands.
- McDonald’s: The McPick 2 deal lets you pair two all-star items, including several sandwiches, for just $5.
- Penn Station: When you join the Penn Station app rewards program, you’ll get a free six-inch sub.
- Schlotzsky’s: Join the Lotz4Me mobile app and get a free small original sandwich just for signing up.
- Subway: No coupon code is needed to get a select footlong sandwich for just $6 for a limited time.
- Wing Zone: Purchase a zesty hand-breaded chicken sandwich and a drink, and you’ll get a free sandwich. No coupon code required.
- Zaxby’s: Join the Zax Email Club to get a free sandwich meal right away, plus a free Nibbler on your birthday.
Not in the mood to head out, but still want your sandwich fix? Look no further than your fridge, but heads up — groceries aren’t always the cheaper option. Find out the real cost of your weekly grocery hauls.
Other Ways to Save in November
Not in the market for a sub? Don’t worry, there are plenty of unrelated deals to go around this month.
- Amtrak: Barring some blackout dates, including a few in November, Amtrak is offering 25 percent discounts on Northeast Regional & Select Keystone and Pennsylvanian service.
- Dillard’s: Spend $500 or more on a regular-priced Eileen Fisher purchase and you’ll get a $75 Dillard’s rewards card that can be redeemed through Nov. 4.
- Nailite: November monthly specials include up to 60 percent off.
- The Spice House: You don’t need a coupon code to get 15 percent off plus free shipping when you buy four or more boxes of tea during the November Gift Box Sale.