If you’re a cookie fanatic, Dec. 4 might just be your favorite day of the year — it’s National Cookie Day. Cookie Day honors what many consider the best dessert in existence. This delectable holiday honors cookies of all types, including of course chocolate chip cookies.
The dessert itself has a long history that dates back approximately 1,400 years, with early traces going back as far as 10,000 years, according to the Otis Spunkmeyer fundraising site. Defined as “little cake” in Dutch, cookies were initially used as test cakes to help Persian bakers calculate the correct amount of ingredients when making cakes.
If you have a favorite cookie recipe, you’ll likely make it to celebrate the holiday. However, plenty of retailers will offer discounts on this budget-friendly dessert for this delicious holiday.
13 Cookie Deals to Help Eat Your Way Through National Cookie Day
Finding a discounted or free cookie on National Cookie Day is easy. Use these deals and freebies to get your favorite type of cookie without paying full price.
- Cheryl’s: Save 20 percent on orders of $40 or more with code GET2016 through Jan. 30.
- Cinnabon: Become a member of Club Cinnabon and get a free Minibon roll at participating bakeries — a great alternative if you’re not interested in free chocolate chip cookies.
- Cookies by Design: Get 15 percent off any purchase of $50 or more with code WINTERCBD15 through Jan. 31.
- Eleni’s New York: Enter code HolidayCheer at checkout to save 15 percent off Christmas, Hanukkah and winter products — including cookies — through Dec. 26.
- Harry & David: Present this coupon with your in-store purchase to save 20 percent through Dec. 31. Use it to save money on a variety of Cookie Day sweets, including The Book of Christmas Cookies and the Signature Bakery Assortment.
- Hershey’s: Print this coupon to take $1 off two new Hershey’s Cookie Lyaer Crunch bars until Jan. 31.
- Fairytale Brownies: Take 5 percent off birthday brownies and cookies through Feb. 27 with code SAVE5.
- Great American Cookies: Sign up for the Cookie Club and get $3 off your next purchase.
- Mrs. Fields: Register for the email club and get 10 percent off your next purchase.
- Nestle Toll House Cafe: Join the Nestle Toll House Cafe Club and get a free mini cookie just for signing up.
- Steak ‘n Shake: Buy one regular-sized Cookie Butter Milkshake, get the second free with this printable coupon at participating locations through Jan. 22.
- Subway: Use your receipt to take a one-minute survey and receive a coupon for a free cookie.
- Tate’s Bake Shop: Take 20 percent off gifts — including those of the cookie variety — with code TATESTREATS through Jan. 31.
Don’t be bummed if you don’t get the chance to make your famous chocolate chip cookie recipe in time for National Cookie Day. Take advantage of one of the deals above to save money at your favorite restaurant or retailer, and use the ingredients in your pantry to whip up a batch of your delicious cookies for a holiday gathering.