Like so many of the world’s popular dishes, the origin of tacos is shrouded in mystery — some historians theorize that these tortilla-based delights go back as early as the 18th century in Mexico, because the word “taco” derives from what Mexican silver miners called the explosive charges they would use to excavate the ore.
Whatever the origin of this favorite dish, you can celebrate its holiday for cheap: National Taco Day is Oct. 4 and you can observe the holiday by enjoying everything from cheap, hot-and-spicy fast food to upscale Mexican fare for less — or even for free.
Enjoy These National Taco Day Deals
Here’s where you can take advantage of free food and other Taco Day deals on Oct. 4 and beyond:
- Baja Fresh: Join Club Baja and get a free taco just for signing up.
- Chili’s: Get dinner for two, including an app and two entrees, for just $22.
- Chuy’s: Join the celebratory scavenger hunt and refreshments — you can get a buck off your favorite Mexican beer all day long, and free queso cards will be hidden throughout the restaurant.
- Del Taco: Join the Raving Fan eclub and get two free grilled chicken tacos.
- El Pollo Loco: Get a free entree up to $7 in value when you join Loco Rewards and download the app. The offer is redeemable with the purchase of any food or beverage.
- Jack in the Box: Print and present this coupon to get two free tacos on your birthday when you make a purchase.
- Moe’s Southwest Grill: Get a free bowl of queso when you sign up for Moe’s Rocking Rewards.
- Old El Paso: Print this coupon to take $0.75 off either a Taco Boats Dinner Kit or Taco Boats Flour Tortillas to make your tacos.
- On the Border: They’ll be offering up mini tacos for 50 cents a pop all day long during National Taco Day.
- Ortega: Making tacos at home? Print this coupon to take $1 off any two Ortega products.
- Rubio’s: Print this coupon to take $2 off a wild Alaskan halibut two-taco plate. The coupon is good through Oct. 15.
- Steak ‘n Shake: Beef taco salad is among the two dozen special meals you can get for under $4 at Steak ‘n Shake.
- Taco Bell: When the Warriors won a big playoff game in June, cities all over the country celebrated with free Taco Bell tacos. Although there will be no Taco Bell free tacos in October, you can feast all day, every day — including Oct. 4 — on more than 20 items for just $1 each.
- Taco Bueno: You can score a full taco platter for just $2.99 the day before National Taco Day. But the deal is not just for the eve of Taco Day — it’s every Tuesday of every month.
- Taco Cabana: Use coupon code 174 to get personal chips and queso and a 20-ounce drink when you buy two fajita tacos.
- Taco John’s: It’s football season, and the Taco Blitz special starts under $6 and includes a taco, a burrito, a 20-ounce beverage and a chance to win tickets to the Super Bowl.
- Taco Time: Print this coupon to take $1 off the purchase of street tacos.
If you’re in the market for a great taco, but you don’t want to pay full price, hit up your favorite Mexican restaurant on Oct. 4 for National Taco Day.
Bottom’s Up: 15 Mexican Beers That Won’t Break the Bank