New Year’s Day is a federal holiday, so many people have the day off from work and school, leaving time for going out if you know where to go. Read on to find out what businesses are open on New Year’s Day.
Restaurants Open New Year’s Day
According to data from Cake, a subsidiary of Sysco, restaurants that opted to stay open on New Year’s Day in 2015 saw an increase in profits of 40 to 50 percent versus non-holiday openings. As restaurants plan for New Year’s Day traffic, you can use this list to find out which restaurants are open on New Year’s in your area:
- 54th Street Grill: If you’re craving baby back ribs and an ice cold draft beer, then head to 54th Street Grill between the hours of 11 a.m. and midnight. Don’t forget to take advantage of happy hour, which is 9:00 p.m. to closing.
- Applebee’s: Applebees maintains its normal operating hours on New Year’s Day, which are 11 am to midnight.
- Au Bon Pain: For fresh-baked goods and a hot cup of hazelnut coffee to start your new year, you could try this chain, but hours vary from store to store, so be sure to call ahead to confirm times.
- Benihana: This restaurant is open 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m., with happy hour taking place from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Bob Evans: From 6 a.m. to 9 p.m., you can feast on everything from ham and green beans to a double-crusted apple pie.
- Bonefish Grill: On New Year’s Day, you can treat that special someone to shrimp and swordfish at the Bonefish Grill. This establishment is open from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Boston Market: Stop by between 11 a.m. and 10 p.m. and you’ll be able to order a homestyle meal.
- Buffalo Wild Wings: Grab a few friends and head over to Buffalo Wild Wings between 11 a.m. and 1 a.m. to watch a game and chow down on wings.
- Burger King: Typical hours are from 6 a.m. to midnight; however, the chain tends to reduce these hours on New Year’s Day. Contact your local store for exact times.
- Carrabba’s Italian Grill: Dine anytime from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. or join happy hour between 4 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.
- Chili’s: Should you have a craving for Texas-style ribs, head to Chili’s between 11 a.m. and 11 p.m.
- Cold Stone Creamery: Choose your ice cream flavors and ingredients and watch the skilled craftsmen put it together on a granite slab. The store is open from noon to 9 p.m.
- Cracker Barrel: From 10:45 a.m. to 10 p.m., you can shop in Cracker Barrel’s country store or dine in the restaurant. Some locations might close early, so call your local store before going.
- Denny’s: Most Denny’s locations continue to remain open 24 hours daily, including on New Year’s Day.
- El Torito: Start the year with a Mexican dish from El Torito. The establishment is open from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m., with happy hour from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Five Guys: Whether you want to dine in or avoid the crowd with a take-out order, Five Guys is ready to serve you from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Friendly’s: Satisfy that craving for ice cream when you dine at Friendly’s. Hours of operation are 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Golden Corral: Choose from a variety of tasty dishes when you visit Golden Corral between the hours of 10:30 a.m. and 10 p.m.
- Houlihan’s: Although the restaurant is only open from 11 a.m. to midnight, the bar and lounge don’t close until 1 a.m. There’s also a happy hour from 4 p.m. to close.
- Humperdinks Brewpub: Open from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m., consider starting your New Year off with a chicken, beef or seafood dish that is paired with a seasonal beer.
- IHOP: Whether you want breakfast food at 7 a.m. or as late as 10 p.m., IHOP has you covered.
- KFC: Welcome 2018 with a New Year’s Day dinner that consists of fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, and a hot biscuit. The fast food chain is open from 10:30 am to 11 p.m. every day except Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter.
- Krystal: Although Krystal closes on Christmas Day, it is open 24 hours every other day of the year, including New Year’s Day.
- Long John Silver’s: If you’re in the mood for seafood, Long John Silver’s will be open on New Year’s Day. Hours vary and are not listed online, so you’ll need to call to verify times.
- Marie Callender’s: Stop for a sit-down meal or order holiday feasts and pies online. The restaurant is open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- McCormick & Schmick’s: Between 11:30 a.m. and 11 p.m., customers can get steak, seafood and more.
- McDonald’s: Order a meal to go from McDonald’s on New Year’s Day. The fast food chain is open from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Noodles & Company: Stop by between 11 a.m. and 9 p.m. and you’ll be able to order your favorite pasta dish.
- Old Country Buffet: Old Country Buffet is one place where you can have Italian, American, seafood and more all on one plate. Restaurant hours are 11 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Olive Garden: Enjoy Italian cuisine when you order New Year’s food from Olive Garden. This restaurant is open from 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Outback Steakhouse: Hours vary by specific location, but Outback Steakhouse is open New Year’s Day to serve steak, seasonal cocktails and more.
- Panera Bread: Panera Bread opens its doors at 6 a.m. and serves items such as baked goods and soups until 9 p.m.
- Papa John’s: Order take-out or have your New Year’s Day dinner delivered right to your home. Papa John’s will be open from 10 a.m. to 12:30 a.m.
- P.F. Chang’s: Satisfy your craving for Chinese food when you stop by P.F. Chang’s between the hours of 11 a.m. and 10 p.m.
- Pizza Hut: Open 10 a.m. to 11 p.m., customers can order New Year’s Day food that includes a deep-dish pizza, all-you-can-eat salad bar and a Hershey’s dessert.
- Rainforest Cafe: Beef, pork, chicken and seafood — Rainforest Cafe has them all. The restaurant opens at 10 a.m. and closes at 9:30 p.m.
- Red Lobster: Red Lobster is open on New Year’s Day from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Romano’s Macaroni Grill: Stop by between 11 a.m. and 10 p.m. for pasta, artichokes, rib-eye and other options.
- Ruby Tuesday: 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. is when you’ll be able to sit down to a hot meal at Ruby Tuesday.
- Ruth’s Chris Steak House: This restaurant doesn’t close for holidays. Customers are welcome between 5 p.m. and 10 p.m. for a pairing of steak and wine.
- Shoney’s: This American restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner, welcoming guests as early as 6 a.m. and as late as 10 p.m.
- Starbucks: Start New Year’s Day off with a cappuccino and a breakfast sandwich from Starbucks. The chain has locations open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. New Year’s Day.
- Ted’s Montana Grill: Try the juicy bison meatloaf or stick with the salt-and-pepper trout when you visit Ted’s Montana Grill between 11 a.m. and 10 p.m.
- TGI Fridays: Stop by between 11 a.m. and 1 a.m. and you can celebrate the new year with a big meal and a refreshing cocktail.
- The Melting Pot: Go out for a fun fondue experience at The Melting Pot. Hours of operation are 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Village Inn: This restaurant is open from 5:30 a.m. to midnight.
- Waffle House: Waffle Houses are generally open 24 hours on New Year’s Day. Each location does have the discretion to reduce these hours, so call ahead to verify your nearest location is open.
- Wawa: Open 24 hours, even on holidays, Wawa offers a place to grab a quick meal for breakfast, lunch, or dinner on New Year’s Day.
- White Castle: This burger-and-fries chain stays open 24 hours per day.
- Zaxby’s: Whether you want to utilize the drive-thru window or dine in, Zaxby’s will be open from noon to 10 p.m.
Restaurants Closed New Year’s Day 2018
Most restaurants surveyed by GOBankingRates reported that they will be open on New Year’s Day 2018 — even if the hours are limited. Although many larger chains will remain open, many local eateries will not — so it’s always best to call your local location before you head out.
GOBankingRates found one chain that traditionally chooses to close its doors until Jan. 2: