Whether you indulge frequently enough to own your own pair of bowling shoes or it’s been years since you laced up a pair of two-toned rentals, late summer is an ideal time to bowl a few frames and beat the heat in an air-conditioned alley. National Bowling Day, which falls on Saturday, Aug. 13, offers an even better excuse to bowl a few games — without breaking the bank.
National Bowling Day is celebrated annually on the second Saturday of August as a way to encourage friends and family to get together and take part in the sport of bowling. Many companies and charities also use it as a springboard for fundraising activities, and this year is no exception. Bowlmor AMF, which operates AMF, Bowlmor Lanes, Bowlero, Brunswick Bowling, Brunswick Zone, Brunswick Zone XL and Brunswick’s brand bowling centers is encouraging bowlers to participate in the “Million Pin Challenge” to support Feeding America.
Free Bowling Games, Discounted Games and More
This is bowling. There are rules. Here are the best ways to bowl for free or get a few discounts on National Bowling Day.
- AMF | Brunswick Zone | Brunswick Zone XL: One free game per person from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Aug. 13 along with many other giveaways and contests at participating locations.
- Bowlmor AMF: Check out the “Summer Games” pass, good through Sept. 5, which entitles you to play three free games each day at participating centers during certain hours. Passes are good only at the center where they are registered and prices vary by center and depend on when passes are purchased.
- Bowl America: This chain’s 18 locations offer a Summer Blast Pass that entitles kids grades 12 and under who register online two free games of bowling every day from June 6 through Labor Day. Moms and dads get one free game each daily when they accompany a child registered in the Blast Pass program, and kids can also earn extra games if they’ve earned “As” and bring their original, end-of-school-year report card to their nearest Bowl America center.
- Bowlmor: If you want a good deal the day after National Bowling Day, some Bowlmor AMF locations offer a Sunday Funday special, with $2.50 games and $2.50 shoe rentals.
- GoBowling.com: Print this coupon for one free game per person, per coupon, per day at participating bowling centers, for a savings of up to $6 until Aug. 31. Games must be played between 8:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. and some other exclusions may apply.
- Kids Bowl Free: Many bowling centers around the country participate in the Kids Bowl Free program. Young people who register for the program are eligible for two free games each day at each alley where they are registered, although shoe rental is typically mandatory. Age requirements, hours of availability, dates of the program and other details vary by bowling center, but kids can be registered at more than one center.
- Kids Bowl Free Family Pass: Parents and caregivers can also pay for a family pass that entitles up to four adults two free games a day during a center’s Kids Bowl Free hours. Whether the participating kids must be present depends on individual centers’ requirements, so the Kids Bowl Free website recommends calling the center where you and your kids are registered. The Family Pass starts at $24.95. Take 25 percent off the Kids Bowl Free Family Pass with promo code SAVE25 for a limited time.
- Splitsville: The Splitsville location in Fairview, Texas, is giving out a card good for one free game, to be used at a future date, to everyone who comes in and bowls on National Bowling Day.
- The Ranch at Rock Creek: Book a stay at this all-inclusive ranch and bowl for free on one of the four lanes available at Rock Creek’s Silver Dollar Saloon.
- Red Rock Casino Resort Spa: Use this Groupon at this Las Vegas resort and get two games of bowling and a breakfast buffet for two for free.
Bowling Happy Hour, Food Deals and Other Freebies
From happy hours to food specials, here are the best bowling alley deals on food and drink while you’re enjoying a game on National Bowling Day.
- Bowlmor: Get $3 PBRs after 6 p.m. every Sunday.
- Lucky Strike: Many Lucky Strike locations feature a Summer Social Special through Aug. 31. Book an event for at least eight people through participating locations’ events department and each guest will receive a free dessert during the event and a $25 Summertime Cool Bucks gift card good toward shoe rental and games on a future visit.
- Lucky Strike: Several Lucky Strike locations also offer happy hours and other food, drink and game specials. From 10 p.m. to close every Sunday, get half-off food, $1 drafts, $3 well drinks and more. Check the Lucky Strike location nearest you for details on area-specific specials.
- Punch Bowl Social: Punch Bowl Social will celebrate National Bowling Day on Aug. 13 by showing “The Big Lebowski” on all TVs in the bowling area, featuring a White Russian cocktail for $5 all day long in honor of Jeff Bridges’ iconic character “The Dude.” Locations will also offer an hour of bowling for $5 — including free shoes — from open until 2 p.m.
- Various Bowling Centers: Look into loyalty clubs at various bowling centers around the country. For example, AMF offers the Pinsiders Club. Sign up and get $20 off your next visit ($5 per person for up to four people), and receive special offers and news about upcoming events and promotions via text or email.
So, whether you plan to commemorate National Bowling Day on Aug. 13 with some free games or drinks, these offers will keep the fun rolling and leave you some cash to spare.
Keep Reading: 10 Financial Habits You Need to Start Today