Labor Day is the first Monday in September, which falls on Sept. 4 this year. A federal holiday, Labor Day celebrates and honors the sacrifices and achievements of American workers and the social uprising known as the labor movement, which fought for and won the protections that modern employees enjoy today.
A nice side benefit of the Labor Day holiday is the many Labor Day sales that accompany the festivities. Get the best deals on this holiday — and take advantage of other summer savings — by staying current on who’s offering what.
Labor Day Deals and Discounts for Travel and Vacation
If you’re planning to hit the road on Labor Day or perhaps use the occasion to book a trip for later in the year, you’re in luck — great travel deals are plentiful:
- Darien Lake Theme Park and Resort: You don’t need a coupon code to take $10 off 2017 season passes and get a free extra ticket for a friend. The passes are valid any day in September, or Monday through Thursday in August. Season passes include free parking — and you’ll also get a free, 32-ounce souvenir mug.
- Hershey Park: Use coupon “21126” to get $8 off — on up to eight tickets — a single-day visit in August or September. It’s valid only for full-day attendance and only for regular-age tickets. Kids and senior tickets are excluded, as are two-day, three-day, sunset, and consecutive day packages and admissions.
- LEGOLAND: You can save money this summer by buying a one-day admission to LEGOLAND California Resort to get four extra days of unlimited admission, which includes the SEA LIFE Aquarium and the Water Park. All visits must occur within five days of your first. LEGOLAND California Resort is closed on select Tuesdays and Wednesdays in February and September.
- WestJet: Save as much as $270 and get a $100 food and beverage credit when you stay a minimum of four nights at the Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort. You have to book by the end of September for travel between Sept. 1 and Dec. 15.
The Best Labor Day Sales for Clothing, Shoes and Accessories
In stores or online, Labor Day 2017 is a great time to update your wardrobe. Check out these deals:
- 6pm.com: The 6pm clearance section is offering discounts of up to 70 percent through the end of October. If you spend $50 or more, you’ll also get free shipping.
- Aldo: You don’t need a coupon code to take $25 off your next purchase of $50 or more when you buy a gift card worth $75 or more. You can use the deal once per transaction, and the redemption period ends on Sunday, Sept. 3, the day before Labor Day.
- Amazon.com: Prime members can take 15 percent off athletic shoes through the end of September — without using a coupon code.
- Anthropologie: You don’t need a coupon code to shop the September Lookbook, which features clothing prices that start at $32.
- Famous Footwear: Buy one pair of shoes and get the other half off, plus get 15 percent off your entire online purchases using code YAYWEEKEND through Sept. 10, 2017.
- Ruche: Sale items are advertised at up to 60 percent off through the end of October. No coupon code required.
- Soccer.com: Save as much as 80 percent on cleats during the September Footwear Sale. Minimum advertised price on brands like Nike and Adidas are excluded.
Find Out: 17 Ways to Save Money on Shoes
Labor Day 2017: Jewelry Sales and Discounts
If you want to buy something sparkly, Labor Day Weekend is a good time to buy.
- Loehmann’s: Take $7 off an Alex and Ani September birthstone bracelet.
- Zales: Save up to 30 percent on select sapphires, September’s birthstone.
Self-Improvement Labor Day Deals
Looking to build a better you once summer passes? Here are a few discounts and offers:
- College Board: Use coupon code “CLEPSEPT” to take $10 off the price of a CLEP exam in the month of September.
- Lazarus Labs: Use coupon code “SAVE15NOW” to take 15 percent off your next order.
Big Box Store Labor Day Sales
If you live in the U.S., chances are you’re within driving distance of these Labor Day sales. Here’s what’s on offer:
- Best Buy: Best Buy is offering steep discounts on appliances of all shapes and sizes throughout the summer and Labor Day.
- Target: Target is advertising Labor Day deals across more than a dozen categories.
- Walmart: The world’s largest retailer is offering deals across a variety of departments.
Miscellaneous Labor Day Sales
Some things don’t quite fit into a category, but they’re still on sale. See if either has your name on it:
- My Spice Sage: Take up to 85 percent off select herbs and spices and get free samples during the September Super Sale.
- Tire Kingdom: You don’t need a coupon code to get two free tires when you buy two tires with a value installation package. You also get a $75, mail-in rebate when you spend $500 on your Tire Kingdom credit card through Sept. 4.