Walmart, the world’s second-largest retailer, has nearly 5,300 stores across the United States. In addition to all the products Walmart sells, the store offers several non-merchandise services to customers.
One such service is the Walmart MoneyCenter. This banking alternative provides financial services such as check cashing, money transfers, bill pay and more, inside select Walmart locations. Here is how to determine Walmart MoneyCenter hours of operation and an overview of some of its services.
Walmart MoneyCenter Hours of Operation
The easiest way to find a Walmart MoneyCenter and its hours of operation is to perform a Google search for “Walmart MoneyCenter” to get a list of stores that have an actual MoneyCenter. Then call the store and ask for the MoneyCenter hours of operation. Hours are not listed on the Walmart website.
The store locator on the Walmart website can also be used to find stores with a MoneyCenter, although it requires a few more steps. To use the Walmart store locator:
- Go to the Walmart MoneyCenter page on the Walmart website and click the “Find a Store” button.
- Click the zip code box to enter a different zip code if necessary.
- Click “Details” and then “Store Details” for any location to view a list of the store’s services. If the store has MoneyCenter capabilities, “Money Services” will be listed.
- Call the store to confirm the MoneyCenter hours of operation.
Many Walmart stores are open from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. seven days a week, but hours vary by store. Walmart MoneyCenters may not follow the schedule of the main store, but many money services are available at the Walmart customer service desk as well.
What Money Services Does Walmart Offer?
Walmart MoneyCenter offers several financial services, such as check cashing, bill pay and money transfers, that give customers an alternative to a traditional bank. Other services, such as tax preparation or reloadable debit cards with bill pay capabilities, go beyond what some banks offer.
For those who don’t have a bank account, Walmart can cash MoneyGram money orders and many checks made out to the check holder. There are check amount limits, depending on the type of check and the state’s laws and a fee to cash any check.
Here’s a look at the check-cashing limits and fees for each check type:
|Check Type||Amount||Maximum Fee|
|Preprinted checks||Up to $1,000||$4|
|Preprinted checks||$1,001 to $5,000||$8|
|Preprinted checks — only available January to April||$5,001 to $7,500||Varies|
|Two-party checks||Up to $200||$6|
Walmart MoneyCenter bill pay service enables customers to pay more than 20,000 payees, with some payments posting the same day they are paid.
The company name and account number are required to pay any bill. A photo ID may be required for payments greater than $900. The fee for this service varies by biller and delivery speed of the transaction.
Customers can transfer money domestically and to more than 200 countries and territories via the Walmart MoneyCenter. Fees start at $2.50 and rise as the transfer amount increases. A competitive exchange rate may apply to international transfers.
Money is usually available to the recipient within 10 minutes, but some transactions can be delayed.
Debit and Credit Cards
Walmart offers several card options, from reloadable debit cards to the Walmart MoneyCard and the Capital One Walmart Rewards Card.
Here’s a closer look at a few of Walmart’s card offerings and their features:
Capital One Walmart Rewards Card
The Capital One Walmart Rewards Card pays cash-back rewards for all purchases, not just Walmart purchases: 5% on Walmart.com purchases, 2% on Walmart in-store and fuel station purchases, 2% on travel and restaurant purchases and 1% on all other purchases.
The Capital One Walmart Rewards Card has no annual fee. It is subject to credit approval and based on that, has a variable annual percentage rate.
Walmart Rewards Card
Those who do not qualify for the Capital One Walmart Rewards Card may be eligible for the Walmart Rewards Card. The Walmart Rewards Card only earns cash-back rewards on Walmart purchases and cannot be used for purchases at other retailers.
The Walmart MoneyCard is a reloadable prepaid MasterCard or Visa card that can be used in much the same way as a traditional checking account, including paying bills and depositing checks. The cardholder earns cash-back rewards on Walmart purchases: 3% on Walmart.com purchases, 2% at Walmart fuel stations and 1% on Walmart in-store purchases, up to $75 per year. Grocery delivery and pickup purchases made via the store’s website or app earn 1%.
Walmart also offers the following reloadable debit cards:
- Bluebird American Express
- American Express Serve
- Netspend Visa
- GO2bank Visa
- Green Dot Visa
Fees for reloadable debit cards vary. Check with the card issuer for details about usage fees.
Money orders can be purchased at any Walmart MoneyCenter with cash or a debit card. Fees vary by location, but the maximum fee is $1. For money order purchases over $1,000, a valid government-issued photo ID is required.
Tax Prep Services
Walmart also offers tax preparation services in partnership with Jackson Hewitt at about 3,000 stores. Fees for tax preparation vary by return.
Refunds can be issued as follows:
- A check that can be cashed at Walmart
- On a prepaid card
- A direct deposit into a bank account
For those who are unbanked or like the convenience of having access to financial services in the same place they shop, Walmart MoneyCenter can fill many banking needs. Since Walmart MoneyCenter hours may differ from regular store hours, anyone needing MoneyCenter services should call the store to confirm the MoneyCenter hours.
Walmart MoneyCenter FAQHere are answers to common questions about the Walmart MoneyCenter.
- Is the MoneyCenter open at Walmart?
- Walmart MoneyCenter hours vary by store, but customers can get many money services at the customer service desk whenever the store is open.
- How much cash back can you get at Walmart MoneyCenter?
- Walmart has a $100 cash-back limit with any debit card purchase. The cash-back limit for personal checks is $20. Capital One Walmart Mastercard or Walmart Rewards Card cardholders can use the Quick Cash feature to withdraw $20 per day.
- How often can you cash a check at Walmart?
- Walmart does not limit how often someone can cash checks but does have limits on the check amount. Walmart customers can cash two-party checks up to $200 and preprinted checks up to $5,000. From January to April, the limit for preprinted checks is $7,500.
- What is the money order limit at Walmart?
- The money order limit at a Walmart MoneyCenter is $1,000.
Information is accurate as of July 1, 2022.