The growing popularity of digital wallets has added a new layer of convenience and security when making online and peer-to-peer payments. While the technology has seen strong growth rates among consumers, not all retailers have adopted the tech as an accepted form of payment.
Amazon has recently moved to allow Apple Pay on the platform alongside two other popular digital wallets:
- Visa Checkout
However, Amazon has left it up to individual vendors to choose whether or not to accept the payment method. That means your ability to make a purchase with Apple Pay depends entirely on the individual or business that you’re buying from on the Amazon platform.
Which Amazon Vendors Accept Apple Pay?
There is no definitive list of vendors that accept Apple Pay. You’ll need to check with each vendor to see if they accept the digital wallet. On the checkout page, you should see logos associated with various payment methods. If the Apple Pay logo appears, you’re good to go. Amazon automatically saves your payment details meaning you can simply select Apple Pay from a drop-down menu when filling out your payment details.
However, if the Apple Pay logo is not present on the checkout page, you will have to use an alternative payment method, such as a credit or debit card. Alternatively, you can try one of the following workaround solutions to sidestep this problem.
Are There Workarounds If You Can’t Use Apple Pay on Amazon?
Even if a vendor has chosen not to enable Apple Pay purchases, you can use one of these two methods to pay with your Apple digital wallet.
Add Your Apple Card as an Amazon Payment Method
It’s possible to add your Apple Card as a payment method directly to your Amazon account. Simply open up your Amazon app or log into your Amazon account through a web browser.
- Click into your account and then navigate to the “Your Payments” tab.
- Under the “Wallet” header, click “Add” and then “Add a credit or debit card.”
- Input your card information in the appropriate slots and hit save.
- You can select the default payment option prior to saving if you’d like Apple Pay to serve as your automatic payment method.
Send Apple Cash to Your Bank Account
If you don’t have an Apple Card, you can simply transfer Apple Cash to your bank account. Once the transfer is complete, you can make a purchase on Amazon using your debit card.
Using Apple Pay on Amazon FAQAlthough the basic idea behind a checking account can be simple to understand, there are still many common questions surrounding them, in part because there are so many different kinds. Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions regarding checking accounts.
- Can I use Apple Pay on Amazon?
- Yes, however not every vendor accepts the payment method.
- How do I activate Apple Pay on Amazon?
- To activate Apple Pay on Amazon simply add it as a saved payment method to your account. Alternatively, you can input your payment details at checkout.
- Can you use Apple Pay for an Amazon gift card?
- Yes, you can purchase an Amazon gift card using Apple Pay either on the Amazon website or on a third-party platform.
Our in-house research team and on-site financial experts work together to create content that’s accurate, impartial, and up to date. We fact-check every single statistic, quote and fact using trusted primary resources to make sure the information we provide is correct. You can learn more about GOBankingRates’ processes and standards in our editorial policy.
- ComputerWeekly.com. 2022. "More than 60% of world population will use digital wallets by 2026."
- Amazon Payment Services. "Digital wallets."
- Wise. 2022. "Can You Use Apple Pay on Amazon? (2023 Complete Guide)."
- Apple. 2022. "Transfer money in Apple Cash to your bank account or debit card."
- OJ Digital Solutions. 2023. "Can You Use Apple Pay on Amazon? A Comprehensive Guide."