Summer is coming to a close, meaning it’s almost time for teachers to return to the classroom. Many teachers aren’t given a hefty budget to cover the cost of school supplies, so they’re forced to use their own funds to make up the difference.
For the 2015-2016 school year, teachers spent an average of $487 of their own money stocking their classrooms, according to a survey conducted by SheerID and Agile Education Marketing. This can become a huge financial burden even when items are purchased during a teacher sale. Being a good teacher can cost a lot of money, so many retailers offer special discounts for teachers to help cover extra expenses.
How To: Give Yourself a $12,000 Raise
27 Teacher Discounts on Classroom Supplies, Books and Software
Stocking a classroom is expensive, but thankfully many retailers offer discount teacher supplies to help cover costs. GOBankingRates put together a list of teacher discounts on everything from classroom essentials to school clothes, with the help of RetailMeNot, DealsPlus, Coupon Sherpa and Offers.com. Use these teacher deals to buy everything you need, without paying full price.
- ABBYY: Save up to 30 percent on Abbyy software products with valid ID.
- A.C. Moore: Take 15 percent off your entire purchase — certain exceptions apply — when you present valid ID.
- Apple: Score education pricing on products and get free Beats headphones with select purchases of Macbooks, iPods, iPads and iPhones until Sept. 5 at Apple stores, the U.S. Apple Online Store for Education Individuals, U.S. Apple Authorized Campus Stores or by calling 1-800-MY-APPLE.
- Barnes & Noble: Head to a Barnes & Noble or Bookstar store to enroll in the B&N Educator program, allowing you to save 20 percent off the publisher’s list price on all purchases for the classroom — exclusions apply — and get up to 25 percent off the publisher’s list price on Educator Appreciation Days.
- Ben Franklin Crafts & Frames: Create an account online or in-store using your valid Teacher’s ID to save 15 percent on all classroom-related purchases.
- Book Warehouse: Show your teacher ID to get 15 percent off your purchase every day.
- The Container Store: Sign up for the Organized Teacher Discount Program to receive discounts to help organize your classroom until Dec. 31. Offers are redeemable in-store, online or by phone.
- Crayola: Teachers get free professional development resources and free admission to the Crayola Experience — multiple locations — with a valid ID.
- Dick Blick Art Materials: If your school purchases bulk art supplies throughout the year, call Blick’s Institutional Sales Department to set up a fixed discount on most items.
- Dollar Tree: Take 10 percent off everything at participating stores with a valid ID.
- FedEx Office: Apply for the company’s National Educators Discount Program to save 15 percent on most products and services nationwide.
- Finger Puppets Inc.: Teachers can save 25 percent off your entire order with code TEACH until Sept. 15.
- Half Price Books: Apply for a Teacher and Librarian Discount Card to save 10 percent on all purchases year-round.
- Jo-Ann Fabric: Get your Jo-Ann Teacher Rewards Discount Card and save 15 percent on every purchase. As a bonus, when you enroll, you’ll receive a coupon for 20 percent off your total purchase.
- Lakeshore Learning: Join the Teacher’s Club to get 15 percent off hundreds of in-store items and low prices on self-serve lamination.
- Lowe’s: Pay no sales tax on if you’re shopping for educational purposes and using school funds, by presenting a tax exempt form with your school’s tax ID number at checkout.
- Mead: Take 15 percent off your purchase and enjoy free shipping as part of the Teacher Appreciation Sale with code TEACHER until Sept. 1.
- Michael’s: Take 15 percent off your entire in-store purchase on products for the classroom every day.
- Naked Binder: Email Naked Binder with your name and school you teach at to get a coupon code for 3-ring binders and folders for your classroom.
- National Geographic: Teachers can receive a digital subscription for $1.
- New York Times: Teachers pay $0.99 for a four-week trial of web/smartphone, web/tablet or all digital access subscriptions, and subsequently receive 50 percent off the regular subscription rate. Teachers also receive a 50 percent off discount on home delivery.
- Office Depot & OfficeMax: Show your school ID at checkout when buying qualified school supplies and your designated school will receive 5 percent back in credit for free supplies. You can also take advantage of Office Depot’s Teacher Appreciation Days between Aug. 27 and Aug. 30. If you are an Office Depot OfficeMax Rewards member, you can receive a coupon for 25 percent off qualifying purchases.
- Party City: If you’re buying supplies with a school credit card, provide an official letter from your school to get up to 20 percent off your order.
- Pets in the Classroom: Submit an application, and if you’re selected, you’ll receive a certificate or coupon to get pets for your classroom.
- Staples: Register for the Teacher Rewards program to get 5 percent back in rewards, save 10 percent on teaching and art supplies and enjoy free shipping on all Staples.com orders.
- ThriftBooks.com: Take 15 percent off all used class sets for teachers with promo code APPLE when you purchase at least 20 used books. Enroll in the Educator Program to qualify.
- Western Digital Store: Save up to 20 percent on your purchase when you create an account with your school email address.
11 Deals for Teachers on Clothing, Accessories and Smartphones
Some of your favorite retailers offer teacher discounts year-round, so you never have to pay full price. Take advantage of these deals for teachers on everything from school clothes to smartphones.
- Aerosoles: Save 15 percent on any footwear purchase of $39.99 or more when you present your teacher ID or paystub in store or call 800-798-9478 to place your order.
- Banana Republic: Save 15 percent off your full-priced, in-store purchase when you present your school ID at checkout.
- Gap Outlet: Save 10 percent on your purchase until Dec. 31 by presenting your valid teacher ID at checkout.
- J.Crew: Save 15 percent on all in-store purchases when you show a valid ID at checkout — also valid at J.Crew Factory and J.Crew Mercantile locations.
- The Limited: Save 15 percent off every in-store purchase when you show your school ID — not valid with other discounts.
- LOFT: Save 15 percent off full-priced purchases every day, plus gain access to the store’s annual $50,000 Loft Best In Class Grants, enjoy exclusive sweepstakes and score invites to Teacher Appreciation Nights when you sign up online.
- Madewell: Present your valid school ID at checkout to save 15 percent on your purchase.
- Pure Formulas: Verify your teacher status using I.D.m.e. and take 10 percent off your order.
- T-Mobile: Sign up for T-Mobile’s educational discount to save up to $60 on smartphones.
- Talbots: Take 15 percent off your full-price purchase with a valid teacher ID.
- West Elm: Present your valid ID at checkout or register online with a valid .edu email address to take 15 percent off your order.
12 Discounts for Teachers on Travel, Hotels and Dining Out
Enjoy life outside the classroom by using these sales for teachers to have fun, without breaking your budget. These teacher sales cover everything from discount hotel rooms to tonight’s dinner, so don’t pass them up.
- Bally’s Atlantic City: Save 10 percent on rooms with valid ID.
- Caesar’s Palace: Save 10 to 15 percent on your room at any Caesar’s property with valid ID. This offer can be used in conjunction with select sales and discount codes.
- The Cromwell Las Vegas: Teachers get 10 percent off rooms.
- Endless Vacation Rentals: Save 25 percent on vacation rentals if you’re a member of the American Federation of Teachers.
- E-Z Rent-A-Car: School employees and teachers save 5 percent off rental cars.
- Harrah’s Cherokee and Harrah’s Laughlin: Take up to 15 percent off rooms.
- Marble Slab Creamery: Take $1 off any purchase with your teacher ID.
- National Park Service: Use your teacher ID to take 15 percent off park purchases, excluding entry fees.
- Pizza Hut: Save 10 to 20 percent off your order with a valid ID at select locations.
- Pluckers: Present your school ID to enjoy a free appetizer every Friday. Eligibility requirements vary by location.
- Sixt Rent a Car: Present your teacher ID to take 5 percent off car rentals.
- Tunica Roadhouse Casino & Hotel: Take 10 percent off room rates.
Being a teacher is hard work, so you’ve more than earned these savings opportunities. Use these teacher discounts to better manage your bank account, so you can get everything on your shopping list with money to spare.