Summer and winter are the two most popular seasons for travel. As many travelers ween off their travel budgets in preparation for the holidays, airlines and hotels offer up big discounts in October to entice travelers.
Rather than book your next vacation for December — when airline and hotel costs are through the roof — take an early vacation in October. Traveling in the fall can mean big savings. Here are 10 of the cheapest places you can visit in October.
- October flight from Los Angeles to Chicago: $213
- September flight from Los Angeles to Chicago: $370
- Savings: $157*
In the winter, Chicago is extremely cold. Meanwhile, as Chicago resident Kim Clifford said, “the summer is so crowded with tourists, and it can get hot.” But October has comfortable weather for tourists, with temperatures averaging a high of 63 degrees and a low of 43 degrees. If you plan to visit, avoid the weekend of Oct. 11, when the Bank of America Chicago Marathon causes an influx of visitors.
In October, Chicago offers a variety of free activities, such as its Halloween festival and parade. The city also hosts a vegan festival and Open House Chicago, which allows you to get a glimpse of 150 of the city’s finest buildings.
* Compares the cost of a 5-day trip to Chicago from Sept. 25 to Sept. 29 and from Oct. 16 to Oct. 20.
- October flight from New York to Las Vegas, plus 5-day hotel stay: $834
- September flight from New York to Las Vegas, plus 5-day hotel stay: $1,259
- Savings: $425*
The busiest time to visit Las Vegas is during New Year’s, most three-day public holidays and school vacations, according to Smarter Travel. Valentine’s Day is also a popular time for couples looking to tie the knot. If you want to get the best vacation deals on hotel rooms, wait until the last minute — hotels won’t offer deals until they’re certain rooms won’t sell.
* Compares the cost of a 5-day trip to Las Vegas plus hotel stay at Bally’s Las Vegas from Sept. 25 to Sept. 29 and from Oct. 16 and Oct. 20.
Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
- October flight from Detroit to Punta Cana, plus 7-day resort package: $1,237
- September flight from Detroit to Punta Cana, plus 7-day resort package: $1,687
- Savings: $450*
The most expensive time to travel to the Caribbean is over the winter and spring break, according to Independent Traveler. Traveling to the Dominican Republic is much cheaper in the fall because of hurricane season. If you’re willing to take a gamble on the weather, you can find cheap vacation deals.
* Compares the cost of a 7-day trip to Punta Cana including flight and an all-inclusive stay at the Westin Puntacana Resort & Club from Sept. 25 to Sept. 29 and from Oct. 16 and Oct. 20.
- October flight from Philadelphia to Nassau, plus 5-day resort package: $1,223
- September flight from Philadelphia to Nassau, plus 5-day resort package: $1,398
- Savings: $175*
Americans can find some of the cheapest all-inclusive deals to the Bahamas during hurricane season. To help you save more during your vacation, avoid taxis, which are unnecessarily pricey, and exchange currency outside of your resort.
* Compares the cost of a 5-day trip to Nassau, including flight and an all-inclusive stay at the Riu Palace Paradise Island Hotel from Sept. 25 to Sept. 29 and from Oct. 16 and Oct. 20.
San Jose, Costa Rica
- October flight from Buffalo, N.Y., to San Jose, plus 7-day hotel stay: $1,176
- September flight from Buffalo to San Jose, plus 7-day hotel stay: $1,327
- Savings: $151*
October is one of the rainiest months of the year in Costa Rica, according to Costa Rica Guide, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the outdoors in this tourist hotspot. In fact, the country’s green season is gaining popularity among tourists. The Pacific side of Costa Rica has hotels offering discounts between 20 percent and 40 percent in October.
* Compares the cost of a 7-day trip to San Jose, including flight and an all-inclusive stay at the Doubletree Cariari by Hilton San Jose from Sept. 19 to Sept. 26 and from Oct. 10 to Oct. 17.
- October flight from Boston to Toronto: $287
- September flight from Boston to Toronto: $395
- Savings: $108*
The Canadian dollar is sitting at about 0.75 cents to the American dollar, meaning Canada can be a great vacation destination for tourists looking to save money. Some of the cheapest flights to the city are through Porter Airlines, though the airliner does not fly from all American cities.
* Compares the cost of a roundtrip flight to Toronto for a 5-day trip, traveling from Sept. 24 to Sept. 28 and from Oct. 22 to Oct. 26.
- October flight from Washington, D.C. to Montreal: $291
- September flight from Washington, D.C. to Montreal: $430
- Savings: $139*
Montreal is the closest thing to Europe in North America. The city is a cultural hub. Tourists can enjoy an enchanting array of cafes, bistros and fine restaurants in Old Montreal. In October, the city can be quite cool, with temperatures between 50 degrees and 60 degrees.
* Compares the cost of a flight to Montreal for a 5-day trip, traveling from Sept. 25 to Sept. 29 and from Oct. 16 to Oct. 20.
- October flight from Providence, R.I., to Seville, plus 5-day hotel stay: $2,611
- September flight from Providence to Seville, plus 5-day hotel stay: $2,815
- Savings: $204*
The cheapest time to fly to Europe is during the winter, which starts in October and lasts through March. The weather in Seville, however, is warm in October, with temperatures between the high 50s and high 60s. Owners of La Banda Rooftop Hostel in Seville say Southern Spain is a backpacker’s paradise, so bring your hiking boots.
* Compares the cost of a 5-day stay in Seville and includes the cost of a room at the Silken Al Andalus Palace Hotel from Sept. 26 to Oct. 3 and from Oct. 18 to Oct. 24.
- October flight from Phoenix to Barcelona, plus 7-day hotel stay: $1,798
- September flight from Phoenix to Barcelona, plus 7-day hotel stay: $2,010
- Savings: $212*
Through most of October, Barcelona maintains a warm climate, with temperatures averaging 71 degrees, making it an ideal location for European vacations. Visitors can explore museums for free on Sunday afternoons, walk La Rambla — a street full of historical buildings and Spanish vendors — and see street art around El Raval and Poblenou.
* Compares the cost of a 7-day trip to Barcelona and includes the cost of a room at Hotel EuroPark from Sept. 20 to Sept. 26 and from Oct. 17 to Oct. 23.
- October flight from Houston to Venice: $880
- September flight from Houston to Venice: $1,112
- Savings: $232*
As the weather cools in Venice to an average 57 degrees in October, flights and hotel costs drop off. Meanwhile, ski resorts in South Tyrol open in September and offer discounts on passes in the early snow season. Vacationers looking to enjoy Italy for its culture and natural surroundings can begin their vacation in the cultural hub of Venice and later explore the mountains of South Tyrol.
* Compares the cost of a 7-day trip to Venice from Sept. 23 to Sept. 29 and from Oct. 16 to Oct. 23.
Disclaimer: All data on fares were gathered from between September 21 and September 27.