If building up your savings account is a high priority, make sure you’re taking advantage of the best savings account rates and bonus offers available right now. Many banks and financial institutions will deposit cash bonuses directly to your savings account after you keep the account active for a certain period of time.
To help you make a decision about which savings account to open, here’s a roundup of the latest bank promotions and special offers. These include incentives such as cash bonuses, transfer match bonuses and special interest rates.
Survey Finds: 69% of Americans Have Less Than $1,000 in Savings
These are the 10 best savings account promotions available right now:
- Chase Bank — Chase Savings
- Regions Bank — LifeGreen Savings
- Capital One — 360 Savings
- Citizens Bank — CollegeSaver
- Amboy Direct — eSavings
- Discover Bank — Discover Savings
- U.S. Bank — Start Smart Savings
- BBVA Compass — Build My Savings Account
- SunTrust Bank — Select Savings Account
- EverBank — Yield Pledge Money Market
|Bank||Savings Account||Minimum Opening Deposit||Monthly Fee||Minimum to Avoid Fee||Promotion Details||Expiration of Promotion||How to Apply|
|Chase Bank||Chase Savings||$25||$5||$300 or have at least one repeating automatic transfer of $25 or more from your personal Chase checking each month||
|Regions Bank||LifeGreen Savings||$5 at branch, $50 online||$0||$0||
|Capital One||360 Savings||$250||$0||$0||
||$0||Minimum total savings accumulated each month, different depending on child’s age||
||None, based on child’s age||Learn More|
|Amboy Direct||eSavings||$100||$0||No monthly balance minimums or fees||
|Discover Bank||Discover Savings||$500||$0||$0||
|U.S. Bank||Start Smart Savings||$25||$0||$0||
|BBVA Compass||Build My Savings Account||$25||$0||$0||
|SunTrust Bank||Select Savings Account||$100||$7||$1,000 minimum daily balance or $25 auto transfer from a SunTrust checking account||
|EverBank||Yield Pledge Money Market||$1,500||$0||$0||
Open a Chase savings account at Chase Bank and get a $150 bonus when you deposit $10,000 or more in the account within 10 business days and maintain a $10,000 balance for 90 days.
Other details about this promotion:
- No $5 monthly service fee applies if you maintain a minimum daily balance of $300 or set up at least one repeating, automatic transfer of $25 or more from your Chase checking account. You can also avoid the monthly service fee if you have a linked Chase Premier Plus Checking, Chase Premier Platinum Checking or Chase Private Client Checking account.
- You must deposit $10,000 or more within the first 10 business days of opening the account and maintain a balance of at least $10,000 for 90 days.
- A savings withdrawal limit fee of $5 applies to each withdrawal or transfer that exceeds the six allowed per monthly statement period.
- This promotion expires on Jan. 15, 2017.
Open a Regions LifeGreen savings account with only $5 at a branch or $50 online and set up automatic transfers from your LifeGreen checking account to earn a 1 percent, annual savings bonus of up to $100.
What else you should know about earning your savings account bonus:
- You pay no monthly fee with a Regions checking account.
- There is a limit of six transfers or payments — including drafts, checks, debit card transactions or other orders — you can make from your savings account per statement cycle.
- You must set up an automatic transfer of at least $10 from a Regions checking account to earn the 1 percent, annual savings bonus.
- Your bonus is calculated on your average monthly balance for the 12 calendar months preceding the account’s anniversary date month; you can earn a maximum bonus of $100.
- The APY is based on your balance and can change at any time.
Open a Capital One 360 savings account with an initial deposit of $250 and earn a $25 bonus.
What you need to know about this promotion:
- The initial $250 deposit doesn’t include the bonus.
- You can receive a bonus only for an account that you open with an initial deposit from a non-Capital One 360 account and to which you post a total of three debit card purchases or person-to-person payments — or any combination of the two — within 45 days of opening.
- Capital One will hold initial deposits for 10 business days.
- You can maintain your account completely online, and it comes with mobile banking privileges and no fees.
- The $25 bonus is available only to new Capital One 360 customers.
- There is no waiting period to receive the bonus: Capital One will deposit $25 directly into the account when you open it.
- Your bonus will earn interest as soon as you open the account, but you can’t make withdrawals for 30 days.
- The 360 savings account cannot be used as a business or retirement account or for beneficiaries.
- The interest rate is variable — starting at 0.75% APY — effective Oct. 28, 2016.
You have two options to collect the $1,000 bonus available from a CollegeSaver interest savings account at Citizens Bank: You can open the account before your child’s 6th birthday and contribute at least $25 per month until his 18th birthday, or you can open the account on your child’s 6th birthday — but before his 12th birthday — and contribute at least $50 per month until his 18th birthday.
What you should know about earning your bonus:
- You receive the bonus when you complete the program.
- Citizens Bank sends out reminders to keep you on track with your deposits.
- You can set up Steady Save transfers from a Citizens Bank checking account.
- There is no limit on how much you can save and no limit on how much you can earn in interest.
- You can use the $1,000 bonus for anything, not just college-related expenses.
Open an Amboy Direct eSavings account online with a minimum $100 deposit and earn a $50 bonus.
Here’s what you need to know about this savings account promotion:
- Amboy Direct offers guaranteed high rates on savings accounts, and you earn your bonus on top of the standard interest rate.
- There is a minimum required deposit of $100.
- You must open the account with an initial deposit from a personal account with check-writing privileges.
- Your initial deposit accrues interest one business day after you make it, and funds are available for withdrawal after seven business days.
To earn a $100 bonus, open a Discover savings account with a minimum of $500 by Jan. 31, 2017, enter an offer code and deposit at least $15,000 by Feb. 15, 2017.
Here are some other details about this promotion:
- You must open the account by Jan. 31, 2017, and use offer code NW1016.
- You must make a deposit of at least $15,000 by Feb. 15, 2017, to qualify for the bonus.
- This offer is valid only for new Discover savings customers.
- Your account must be in good standing for you to receive the bonus credit.
- The $100 bonus is considered interest earnings and is taxable.
- The Discover savings account rate is 0.95% APY for all balances as of Oct. 29, 2016.
Open a U.S. Bank Silver Checking Package and link it to a Package Money Market savings account to enroll in Start Smart. Earn a $50 goal reward when you save $500 in your Package Money Market savings account plus a 1 percent debit card bonus of up to $50 during the 12-month enrollment period.
Here’s how this program works:
- You’ll need a Silver Checking Package and a Package Money Market savings account to enroll in Start Smart.
- You must make a minimum deposit of $25 to open the account, and you can set up automatic transfers from checking to savings.
- You earn a $50 goal reward when you reach your savings goal of $500 in your Package Money Market savings account.
- You get a 1 percent net bonus — up to $50 — on all your gas and grocery debit purchases during the 12-month enrollment period. U.S. Bank will deposit your goal reward — and your 1 percent bonus if applicable — into your Package Money Market savings account on the program payout date.
- You must enroll in Start Smart within 90 days of opening your account.
- This offer is available only to new customers.
Open a BBVA Compass Build My Savings Account with at least $25 and earn a 1 percent match bonus — up to $50 per month, depending on your savings plan — on automatic transfers from your BBVA Compass consumer checking account.
Some details you should know about this program:
- You will earn a maximum of $50 for a 12-month savings plan and $25 for a six-month savings plan.
- Account fees apply: You must pay $3 for paper statements, $5 for image statements and a $10 service fee per withdrawal.
- You’ll earn interest on your entire balance.
- When you complete your savings plan, you’ll receive the match bonus, which is based on your opening balance, transfer amount and savings plan term.
- You are free to transfer as much and as frequently as you want.
You can earn a bonus for setting up and contributing to your SunTrust Bank Select savings account. You’ll receive an annual, 1 percent anniversary bonus of up to $25 when you link your account to your SunTrust Bank Select Checking or Signature Advantage Checking account.
Here’s what you need to know about this savings account promotion:
- You can avoid a monthly, $7 maintenance fee by setting up an automatic monthly transfer of at least $25 or by maintaining a $1,000 minimum daily balance.
- You can set up automatic transfers from SunTrust Select Checking or Signature Advantage Checking accounts only.
- To receive your bonus, your checking account must be in good standing.
- Your bonus is credited to your Select savings account on the anniversary of the date you opened it.
- You are limited to six, pre-authorized, telephone, or online transfers to other SunTrust accounts or third parties per month.
- Only one Select savings account is available per customer.
Earn 1.11% APY on balances up to $250,000 during your first year as a new checking client with EverBank.
Here’s what else you should know about this special savings interest rate offer:
- You will need a minimum of $1,500 to open the account, and you can’t initially fund it from another EverBank account.
- EverBank rates are more than 15 times the national average; in addition, the bank promises to keep Yield Pledge Checking and money market rates in the top 5 percent of leading banks’ competitive offerings.
- The one-year rate for balances up to $250,000 is 1.11% APY.
- After the first year, an ongoing 0.61% APY is applied to balances from $100,000 to $10 million.
- You pay no ATM fees, and you get 100 percent reimbursed for ATM fees from other U.S. banks if you maintain a minimum average daily balance of $5,000.
Seize Your Savings Bonuses
Whether you want to open a checking account to start saving for college or a money market account to build up some long-term savings, don’t miss out on some of the latest savings account bonuses and interest rates. Making a few smart decisions when you open a savings account can help you earn rewards for your efforts and make your balance grow even faster.
Keep Reading: 10 Best Savings Accounts of 2016