Mother’s Day provides a special opportunity to let your mom know how much you appreciate what she’s done for you, and to thank her for it. After all that your mother has done to support you over the course of your life, this is the time to spoil her.
Unfortunately, not everyone has a large-enough savings account to afford the over-the-top gift mom deserves. With Mother’s Day 2014 less than a week away, last-minute gift shopping can take a heavy toll on your wallet — especially if you don’t know where to get the best deal.
In fact, according to John Boyd, CEO and co-founder of price-comparison app ShopSavvy, typical Mother’s Day gifts do escalate in price as the date nears.
“We actually do see about a 2 [percent] increase on average in prices each year right before Mother’s Day,” Boyd said. “Many items, like accessories and jewelry, tend to go up quite a bit more though.”
How Much Will Americans Spend on Mom This Year?
There are differing opinions regarding how much money people will spend this year on Mother’s Day gifts. According to the National Retail Federation’s 2014 Mother’s Day spending survey, conducted by Prosper Insights & Analytics, shoppers will spend an average of $162.94 on Mother’s Day gifts — slightly lower than last year’s prediction of $168.94.
Total spending nationwide on this holiday is expected to reach $19.9 billion, with two-thirds of shoppers planning to purchase flowers for their mothers — and that alone will total some $2.3 billion. 91 percent of people surveyed in RetailMeNot and The Omnibus Company’s Shoppers Trend Report plan to purchase a gift for their mothers this Mother’s Day.
In contrast, Offers.com Vice President Howard Schaffer gave a lower estimate for this year’s Mother’s Day spending.
“Our survey showed that the majority of Mother’s Day shoppers will spend $50 or less this year,” Schaffer said. “There are deals out there to accommodate this price range. Just look online for deals and coupons before you buy.”
Considering the high demand for flowers, jewelry and women’s accessories, and the likelihood of retailers increasing their prices at this time, we rounded up a master list of 2014 Mother’s Day deals, discounts and freebies with the help of our friends at BeFrugal, Offers.com, Savings.com and RetailMeNot, to help you celebrate mom without sacrificing your budget.
The 72 Best Mother’s Day Gift Deals and Discounts
Retail and Jewelry
- Bath & Body Works: Get 25 percent off your entire purchase with code SPRINGTREAT, both in store and online.
- Beauty Bridge: Take 15 percent off store-wide until May 11 with code mother15.
- Best Buy: Get 20 percent off the purchase of one small appliance in store with this coupon or online with coupon code MOTHERSDAY20.
- Elizabeth Arden: Give your mom a $75 Elizabeth Arden Red Door Mother’s Day gift set at 53 percent off its total value. You can currently enter code SWEET to rack up even more savings with free shipping and a free eight-piece deluxe gift.
- Gap: The retailer’s spring sale coincides with Mother’s Day. Save up to 60 percent in stores and online, and receive an additional 30 percent off your purchase online only with code TREAT.
- Gettington.com: Buy one kitchen item and get 30 percent off the second until May 24.
- Gordon’s Jewelers: Save 30 percent off regular-priced items storewide and receive guaranteed Mother’s Day delivery on in-stock items ordered by 4 p.m EST May 8.
- HSN: Save $5 on your next beauty purchase of $25 with code 5BEAUTYSPRING or $15 off your jewelry purchase of $75 with code 143838.
- JCPenney: All purchases in-store and online through JCPenney receive up to 20 percent off with code 2SUNNY, until May 7.
- Jewelry.com: Get 20 percent off site-wide plus free shipping with coupon code OFFERS20, available through May 11, or enter code MOM for extra savings on items in the Mother’s Day Gift Guide.
- Kohl’s: Enjoy 50 to 60 percent off fine and silver jewelry, 25 to 40 percent off watches and an additional $10 off these purchases in store and online with promo code MDJEWELRY; deal ends May 11.
- Lane Bryant: It pays off to buy two, one for you and one for mom, of the retailer’s jewelry and accessories — they’re buy-one-get-one-free.
- Levi’s: Select women’s jeans are discounted by 30 percent both in store and online until May 13.
- Lord & Taylor: Get an extra 25 percent off regular and sale items with promo code LOVE.
- Macy’s: All orders placed by May 7 receive guaranteed Mother’s Day delivery for free, while coupon code MOM applies a discount to select pajama and robe styles and other gifts.
- Neiman Marcus: Save 40 percent online or in stores when shopping the retailer’s sale items. Take an extra 30 percent off the retailer’s Last Call site until May 7, for women’s apparel, shoes, jewelry and home.
- New York & Company: In celebration of Mother’s Day, New York & Company is offering buy-one-get-one 50 percent off everything in the store, as well as an extra 30 percent off online purchases with promo code 3613.
- Old Navy: Spend $35 or more and get a $5 shop card redeemable between May 11 and 22, 2014. This deal is available until May 10 and applies in-store only.
- Philosophy: Save 20 percent off select bath duos, perfumes and more.
- Saks Fifth Avenue: Select gifts and the company’s diamond and jewelry collections are up to 65 percent off, while sandals are 60 percent off until May 11.
- Sears: Save 15 percent with the offer code MOM15, available until May 10.
- The Body Shop: Take 30 percent off gifts for mom and secure Mother’s Day delivery on two-day orders placed by May 6. Additional sales include three body butters for $30, and buy-three-get-two-free, buy-two-get-one-free or buy-one-get-one 50 percent off deals on the entire site.
- Things Remembered: Get a 20 percent discount on a personalized Mother’s Day water globe that plays “Fur Elise.”
- Zales: The diamond store is offering up to 30 percent off regular prices store-wide and Mother’s Day delivery on in-stock items purchased by 4 p.m. EST May 8. In addition, take $40 off your purchase of $200 or more, and secure three-day shipping, with coupon code ZBDAY35DJ8.
Flowers and Candy
- 1-800-Flowers: Spend $49.99 or more and receive 20 percent off with code MDAY49 or 25 percent off flower deliveries from May 6 through 9 with promo code EARLY25MOM. If you decide to give mom a fruit creation, save 25 percent with coupon code EATFRUIT. Also save 25 percent on the Mother’s Day Collection with code HAPPYMOM.
- Edible Arrangements: Get free delivery on any order over $65 with code MDAY2014, available until May 6 at 11:59 p.m. EST.
- FromYouFlowers.com: Save 20 percent site-wide an all floral and gift packages with code 93Z. For phone orders use discount code C77.
- FTD.com: This site offers a few deals right now on flowers for mom. When you have flowers delivered early, on May 9 and 10, you’ll receive a $10 gift card to use on your next purchase on the site. Select items are up to 30 percent off and there is a 10 percent site-wide discount already applied. By clicking through from Offers.com, you can get an additional 20 percent off your entire order with code OFFERS20. Use Groupon and get $40 worth of flowers for $20.
- JCPenney: Any in-store or online purchase made between May 1 and 10 qualifies for a $10 coupon to put toward a flower arrangement from Teleflora.
- Jelly Belly: Take 15 percent off all Jelly Belly products with promo code MOMSDAY14, available until May 11.
- ProFlowers: Save 20 percent on orders of $39 or more, applied at checkout.
- See’s Candies: Satisfy mom’s sweet tooth with $4 off your candy purchase of $40 or more online or by phone only. Reference coupon code A1440101 by phone.
- Boyne Mountain Ziplining: Michigan residents can treat mom to a free Zipline Adventure Tour or Twin Zip Ride this Friday, May 9, through Sunday, May 11, at Boyne Mountain in Boyne Falls, Mich.
- Costco: The wholesale retailer offers hotel and spa packages for you and mom. For a getaway, you can visit Peppermill Resort Spa Casino for a one-night stay for $119.99 or get $100 toward a booking on BedandBreakfast.com for $74.99. For $79.99 you can obtain two $50 gifts cards to either Spafinder Wellness 365 or Spa Gregorie’s Day Spas and Salons.
- King Fisher Fleet Cruise: Moms get a free cruise with King Fisher Fleet at Fishermen’s Village in Punta Gorda, Fla. This deal is available all Mother’s Day weekend, with multiple excursions to choose from.
- Natural Body Spa and Shop: Take 10 percent off a series of four visits. Options include the spa’s organic signature massage, power massage and either the signature or microdermabrasion facial series. Also, with the purchase of a $230 gift card, the spa will add a complimentary hooded bathrobe to your order for your mom.
- Red Door Spa: Elizabeth Arden’s spa is offering $15 bonus spa dollars for every $100 dollars spent on a gift certificate, along with Mother’s Day spa packages.
- Amazon: Enter promo code MOMAPP20 at checkout for 20 percent off your purchase of tops, sleepwear and more.
- Avenue: Spend $100 and get $25 off with code AV141308, and enjoy both 30 percent off the entire site and 40 percent off knit tops, work pants, active wear and sleepwear.
- Bambu: With the code bambu4moms, save 20 percent off online orders.
- Easyspirit: Take 30 percent off your entire purchase.
- eBay: Save up to 70 percent on jewelry, watches, fragrances and other favorites for mom; take advantage of free shipping, and receive an exclusive bracelet, complimentary with every purchase from the site’s Mother’s Day Collection, while supplies last.
- Gift Card Granny: Get 20 percent or more off gift cards to Ann Taylor, Starbucks, The Limited, JCPenney, Pier 1 Imports, Off Broadway Shoes and Bealls.
- LivingSocial: Get over 30 percent off Michael Kors watches.
Photo credit: Dave Kirkham