GOBankingRates Editorial Processes, Guidelines & Staff Ethics
The goal of the GOBankingRates editorial team is to publish objective, informational and compelling personal finance and consumer banking news and features. While we aim to be conversational in tone, providing solid and friendly financial advice, our objective remains to offer our readers valuable ideas and takeaways for better money management in their everyday lives.
ConsumerTrack ― GOBankingRates’ parent company ― requires all employees, contractors and freelancers who contribute to GOBankingRates.com to uphold high standards of principle and integrity.
The standards outlined here apply to all editorial employees and to the work they produce for GOBankingRates, whether it appears on GOBankingRates.com, third-party websites or any other platform.
All GOBankingRates content should meet our five primary goals:
- Be accurate
- Be transparent and objective
- Give credit to sources
- Uphold GOBankingRates’ quality and integrity
- Provide information our audience can apply in their everyday money management
To meet these goals, all GOBankingRates contributors and editors follow a strict set of guidelines:
- Publish as fact only that which you believe to be true. If your statement is speculation, say so. If it’s not speculation, you must have documentation from a reputable source to back it up.
- If reference material exists online and provides additional relevant information to the reader, refer to and/or link to the source when referencing it. Linking to referenced material allows readers to judge for themselves the accuracy and insightfulness of your statements.
- Disclose any conflict of interest or relationship details (i.e. make all business relationships known in content prior to publishing). Sponsored articles are clearly marked as such.
- Note any questionable and biased sources, or do not use them.
- Be as transparent as possible by revealing all personal affiliations and business relationships.
- Staff members may not cover individuals or institutions with which they have a financial relationship without disclosure within the article.
- Staff members are prohibited from accepting gifts from sources or potential sources or clients.
For more information see: