- 1.5% unlimited cash back on all purchases
- No foreign transaction fees
- No expiration on rewards
- Intro APR period
- Rewards can be redeemed for cash
- Requires an excellent credit score
- No bonus categories to increase reward earnings
Capital One Quicksilver Credit Card Overview
The Capital One Quicksilver credit card is available only to people with excellent credit scores. Its wide range of cardholder benefits and perks makes it a good option for those who qualify. It’s an especially good option for people who prefer to earn a standard cash-back rate across all spending categories.
Here’s how it does in terms of rewards, fees and other important aspects.
Cardholders can earn unlimited 1.5% cash back every day. Unlike other cards that limit cash back with purchase eligibility requirements, the Capital One Quicksilver credit card rewards every purchase.
You can redeem your Capital One rewards for cash or a statement credit. You can also use them when you check out with PayPal at millions of e-commerce stores or when shopping on Amazon.com. Besides shopping perks, cardholders have access to VIP concert and sporting event tickets, five-star meals and other experiences.
A slight shortcoming of the unlimited 1.5% cash back offering is that you don’t get any bonus rewards in popular categories, such as dining or entertainment, but you can earn unlimited 5% cash back on hotels and rental cars as long as they are booked through Capital One Travel.
There’s no annual fee for the Capital One Quicksilver credit card. Moreover, new members enjoy 0% APR for the first 15 months on balance transfers and purchases. However, a 3% balance transfer fee applies during this introductory period.
After 15 months, there’s a APR, which applies to both purchases and balance transfers, but the 3% balance transfer fee no longer applies. Although the low introductory APR and no annual fee are attractive perks, the high standard APR makes this card relatively expensive if you carry a balance.
For travelers who frequently use their credit cards outside the U.S., however, the lack of foreign transaction fees is a great benefit.
New cardholders get a one-time $200 cash bonus after spending $1,000 on purchases within three months of account opening.
However, to be eligible for the bonus, you must apply for the Capital One Quicksilver credit card by clicking the green “Apply Now” button on the official Capital One website.
Capital One Quicksilver also offers these benefits to cardholders.
- Travel Assistance: Cardholders receive 24-hour travel assistance. If your card gets stolen or lost during travel, Capital One will provide an emergency replacement along with a cash advance.
- Complimentary Concierge: Capital One Quicksilver cardholders get personalized and comprehensive assistance with travel, entertainment and dining plans throughout the year. However, this service is available only for select merchants and is subject to merchant terms and conditions.
- Travel Accident Insurance: If you purchase a fare with your Capital One Quicksilver credit card, you automatically qualify for insurance that covers travel accident-related losses at no extra expense.
- Shopping: Capital One’s designated online shopping tool can be added to your Chrome browser as an extension and will automatically apply available coupon codes to your order. The tool also shows the best prices available for any product on top retailers’ websites. All you need to do is search for the product directly or scan the product’s barcode. It also keeps track of the items you’ve previously purchased and viewed and will alert you in the event of a price drop.
- Extended Warranty: You’ll receive free additional warranty protection on eligible items you purchase with your credit card.
Apart from rewards and bonuses, this credit card offers some additional features that you might find helpful.
Eno is Capital One’s virtual assistant. It monitors cardholders’ accounts 24/7 and sends instant notifications if it detects something is wrong. Along with keeping an eye on any unusual charges to the cardholder’s account, Eno also helps track spending.
It sends useful insights about recurring charges and free trials that might be able to save you money. You can use it to:
- Request an overview of your accounts
- Pay your bills
- Check your balance
- Lock or unlock your account
- Get answers to your account-related questions
- Create virtual card numbers to use while online shopping from your desktop
Eno will even tell you jokes if you ask. The virtual assistant is available on the Capital One mobile app and can send you notifications by email or to your smartwatch. You also can reach Eno through Capital One’s desktop browser or by text.
Capital One has notable security features that make its cards even better for travelers, including:
- Security Alerts: Eno sends you a security alert when there is a suspicious transaction on your card.
- $0 Fraud Liability: If your card is reported stolen or lost, you’re not liable for any transactions made on it.
- Card Lock: You can lock your card through the Capital One mobile app if it is stolen or misplaced.
- CreditWise: You get automatic alerts from TransUnion and Experian when your credit report changes.
Good To Know
The Capital One mobile app is your one-stop shop for all card-related activities. You can manage your account from anywhere in the world, pay your bill, make transactions and view your balance. The app is integrated with CreditWise, so you can also stay up to date on any changes to your credit score. Additionally, the ability to log into the mobile app with facial recognition ensures that no one else will be able to access your financial information.
How the Capital One Quicksilver Credit Card Stands Out
If you’re looking for the best rewards credit cards, Capital One Quicksilver’s flat 1.5% cash-back reward on all purchases isn’t the most competitive. However, you won’t have to keep track of categories to get rewarded for your spending.
Also, Capital One makes it easy for cardholders to spend their rewards. As a cardholder, you’ll have the option of redeeming your rewards for purchases through Amazon and PayPal. Plus, the welcome bonus of $200 is relatively easy to earn in a short period of time.
When considering a new rewards credit card, it can help to compare it to other cards in the same category. Here are a couple of alternative choices and a look at how Capital One Quicksilver stacks up.
Wells Fargo Active Cash® Card
If you’re looking for higher cash-back rewards, you might want to check out the Wells Fargo Active Cash Card, which offers 2% unlimited cash back.
Like Capital One Quicksilver, this card has no annual fee and features a 0% introductory APR for 15 months. This introductory period will be followed by an APR of . You have to spend $500 in the first three months to get a rewards bonus of $200. Capital One Quicksilver requires you to spend $1,000 to get the $200 bonus.
Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
If you mostly use your credit card for department store purchases and groceries, you should consider the Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express®, Member FDIC, for its rewards rates. It offers 3% cash back on up to $6,000 in U.S. supermarket purchases every year, with 1% cash back after that. Plus, you get 3% cash back on U.S. gas stations and online retail purchases up to $6,000 per year, then 1% after that.
This card does offer a welcome offer bonus of $150, but you’ll have to spend $2,000 in the first six months of card membership to receive the statement credit. Terms apply.
Overall, the American Express Blue Cash Everyday welcome bonus offer requires a bigger spend and a longer qualification period than the Capital One Quicksilver bonus offer does. However, it does offer a better rewards rate if you use it for gas and grocery purchases.
All information about the Blue Cash Everyday Card has been collected independently by GOBankingRates.com. The Blue Cash Everyday Card is not available through GOBankingRates.com.
Chase Freedom Unlimited®
If you mainly use your credit card for travel purchased through Chase, the Chase Freedom Unlimited credit card is one you should consider. You can earn 5% cash back on travel, 3% cash back on drugstore purchases and dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery service, and unlimited 1.5% cash back on all other purchases.
The card also has no annual fee and is currently offering an extra 1.5% on everything you buy (on up to $20,000 spent in the first year) — worth up to $300 cash back.
How To Apply
You can apply for a Capital One Quicksilver credit card directly through Capital One’s website. Start the process by clicking the “Apply Now” button. Be prepared to provide your name, Social Security number, date of birth, annual income and other financial details.
If you aren’t sure about your approval odds, consider seeking pre-approval before applying.
Who the Capital One Quicksilver Is Best For
The Capital One Quicksilver credit card is best for people with high credit scores who make a habit of paying off their credit card balance in full each month. The Capital One shopping tool, coupled with the cardholder’s ability to apply earned rewards to purchases on Amazon and PayPal also makes it ideal for online shoppers.
Because the Capital One Quicksilver card doesn’t have any foreign transaction fees and offers 24-hour travel assistance, it would also be a good pick for students studying abroad or people who take frequent business trips.
The Capital One Quicksilver credit card might be right for you if you have an excellent credit score, use your cards for a variety of purchases — including online shopping — and you could benefit from the introductory APR period. But if you’re looking for a high rewards rate in specific categories, this card isn’t the best choice.
FAQHere are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions regarding Capital One Quicksilver credit card.
- What score is needed for Capital One Quicksilver?
- You need an excellent credit score, which FICO defines as 800 or better.
- What type of card is Capital One Quicksilver?
- The Capital One Quicksilver is a simple cash-back credit card offering 1.5% on everyday purchases.
- Can I upgrade my Capital One card to Quicksilver?
- Yes, if you qualify. If you receive a pre-qualified offer, you can upgrade. Otherwise, you need to call the number on your card to ask whether you qualify or use their online pre-approval check.
- Does Quicksilver have an annual fee?
- No. The Capital One Quicksilver card doesn't have an annual fee.
- Is Capital One Quicksilver a hard card to get?
- The Capital One Quicksilver credit card requires an excellent credit score. With that, it can be difficult for some borrowers to get approved for this credit card.
- Is Capital One Quicksilver worth getting?
- If you are looking for a cash-back credit card with attractive rewards, the Capital One Quicksilver is worth considering. You'll earn 1.5% cash back on your purchases without getting stuck with an annual fee.
- What is the max credit limit on the Capital One Quicksilver card?
- The maximum credit limit for the Capital One Quicksilver credit card varies based on your income, creditworthiness and other financial details. It's possible your credit limit will be thousands of dollars. But Capital One doesn't list its maximum credit limit.
- What is the minimum limit for the Capital One Quicksilver card?
- The maximum credit limit for the Capital One Quicksilver credit card varies based on your income, creditworthiness and other financial details. But you can expect an initial credit limit of at least several hundred dollars.
Rates are subject to change; unless otherwise noted, rates are updated periodically. All other information on accounts is accurate as of June 15, 2023.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by any entity covered in this article. Any opinions, analyses, reviews, ratings or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any entity named in this article.
All information about the Blue Cash Everyday Card has been collected independently by GOBankingRates. Blue Cash Everyday Card is not available through GOBankingRates.
The information related to Chase Freedom Unlimited was collected by GOBankingRates and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this product/card. Product details may vary. Please see the issuer’s website for current information. GOBankingRates does not receive commission for this product.
Discover the Best Banks of 2024: Unveiling Our Top Picks!
We've compiled a list of the top banks for this year!
Here Are the Pros and Cons of Using Multiple Banks
Many banks are one-stop-shop financial institutions...