NBKC Bank Review: Low Fees and Plenty of Banking Options
- No minimum balance requirements
- Competitive APY of 0.40% on the Everything Account
- Large network of over 34,000 ATMs
- Also offers mortgages, credit cards and other loan products
- Brick-and-mortar locations limited to Kansas City, Missouri metro
- Higher APYs available at some other online banks
About NBKC Bank
NBKC Bank was founded in 1999 as Horizon National Bank. In 2004, the bank’s name was changed to National Bank of Kansas City, and in 2015, rebranded as NBKC Bank. The bank is headquartered in Overland Park, Kansas, and it has four locations across the greater Kansas City, Missouri, area.
What really stands out about NBKC Bank is the wide variety of products it offers. The bank has checking, savings, money market accounts and CDs. And if you want to expand your banking relationship, it also offers mortgages, credit cards and personal loans. Also, GOBankingRates has ranked the bank as one of the Best Savings Accounts, Checking Accounts, CD Accounts and Money Market Accounts of 2021.
Though it has brick-and-mortar locations, NBKC Bank operates primarily as an online bank. You can use the mobile app to make deposits, transfer money and monitor your accounts. And if you need to withdraw cash, you can access the bank’s network of MoneyPass ATMs.
NBKC Bank Products
|Everything Account||Generous APY and no monthly account fees|
|Personal Money Market||Low minimum deposit balance|
|CDs||Flexible terms and low minimum balance requirements|
NBKC Checking Account
The Everything Account is designed to be everything you want in a checking and savings account. There’s no minimum opening balance requirements, and the bank doesn’t charge any fees. In addition to this, GOBankingRates has ranked it as one of the Best Checking Accounts as well as one of the Best Savings Accounts of 2021.
- No minimum opening balance requirements
- Competitive 0.50% APY
- Comes with a free Mastercard debit card
- Use the mobile app to pay bills and transfer money
- Schedule automatic bill pay
- The Everything Account comes with a generous APY
- No overdraft fees
- No fees for cashier checks or money orders
- No fees for incoming wire transfers
- Branch locations located only in the Kansas City, Missouri, area
- Fees for outgoing wire transfers
NBKC Money Market Account
NBKC’s Personal Money Market account is meant to take the place of a traditional savings account. The money market account comes with a 0.50% APY, no matter what the balance. GOBankingRates has ranked it as one of the Best Money Market Accounts of 2021.
- Very accessible money market account
- Low opening balance requirements
- Come with a free debit card and check writing capabilities
- Competitive 0.50% APY
- Low minimum deposit of $0
- 0.50% APY
- You’ll receive a free book of checks and a debit card for opening the account
- The APY and many of the terms are similar to what you’ll receive with the Everything Account
NBKC CD Accounts
NBKC offers CDs with term limits ranging from three months to five years. Any funds that you deposit in a CD are subject to a 72-day hold. GOBankingRates has ranked the bank as offering one of the Best CD Accounts of 2021.
- Term limits ranging from three months to five years
- Competitive APYs offered
- Minimum balance requirement of $1,000 to open three-, six- or 12-month CDs
- Minimum balance requirement of $250 to open CDs for terms of two years or longer
- A wide variety of term limits
- Relatively low minimum opening balance requirements
- Competitive rates
- Funds subject to a 75-day hold after the account is opened
- Early withdrawal penalties may apply
Unless you live in the Kansas City, Missouri, area, you won’t have access to a physical bank branch and will be able to bank digitally only. However, the bank offers a free mobile app that allows you to deposit funds and monitor your accounts at all times. And if you need to withdraw money, NBKC gives its customers access to more than 34,000 MoneyPass ATMs.
You can open an account either online or at one of the bank’s branch locations. You’ll need to have your Social Security number and a government-issued ID to open the account.
NBKC provides a free mobile app to all of its customers, which is available for both iOS and Android devices. The mobile app is fairly intuitive to use and lets customers deposit checks, manage their accounts and transfer funds between accounts.
For general account support, you can call NBKC Bank at 888-905-2165 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. CT. If you need help with mobile and online banking, you can call 866-931-0850 during those same hours.
The bank provides 24/7 phone support at 800-528-2273 if your debit card is lost or stolen. And the bank offers chat support on its website during normal business hours.
Customer Service Hours: Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. CST
Customer Service Number:
- 888-905-2165 for general account support
- 866-931-0850 for mobile and online banking support
- 800-528-2273 for lost or stolen debit cards
Routing Number: 101014869
NBKC Bank Fees
NBKC Bank does charge a few fees, but they are minimal compared to what traditional banks charge. There are no opening balance requirements, minimum balance fees, monthly maintenance costs or overdraft fees.
|Minimum balance fee||$0|
|Monthly maintenance fee||$0|
|Incoming domestic wire transfers||$0|
|Outgoing domestic wire transfers||$5|
|Incoming international wire transfers||$45|
|Outgoing international wire transfers||$45|
NBKC Bank vs. Competitors
NBKC Bank vs. Capital One
Capital One offers an interest-bearing savings account for children with a 0.30% APY. But NBKC offers better rates for its checking account, and its interest rates aren’t tiered.
NBKC Bank vs. Ally Bank
Unlike NBKC, Ally offers separate checking and savings accounts and 24/7 customer service. However, NBKC’s APY is higher than what Ally offers, and it offers limited branch locations while Ally has none.
NBKC Bank vs. Wells Fargo
Wells Fargo’s Everyday Checking can be opened with just a $25 deposit, and the bank has more than 5,200 branches in the United States. However, if online banking suits you, NBKC offers a higher APY on its banking products and zero fees.
|NBKC Bank||Zero fees and competitive APY|
|Capital One||Wide variety of accounts and competitive rates|
|Ally Bank||Robust customer service and online banking features|
|Wells Fargo Bank||Wide variety of banking and lending accounts|
NBKC Bank is a great option for anyone looking for an online bank with no fees. The checking account comes with a generous APY and is easy to manage with the bank’s mobile app.
If you’re a Kansas City, Missouri, area resident, you can bank at any of the four branch locations. But if you don’t live in the region, you’ll still have access to the bank’s large ATM network.
NBKC Bank provides the best of both worlds in that it offers both in-person and online banking. The Everything Account offers everything you could want from a checking and savings account. And you won’t get stuck with the usual fees that you’ll find at traditional banks.
NBKC FAQHere are answers to some of NBKC Bank's more commonly asked questions.
- What does NBKC stand for?
- NBKC stands for National Bank of Kansas City.
- How much does online banking cost at NBKC?
- Online banking is free with an NBKC Everything Account.
- Is NBKC Bank FDIC insured?
- All accounts are insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. for up to $250,000, per depositor.
- Does the bank offer branch locations?
- NBKC has two locations in Kansas City, Missouri, plus one location in Leawood, Kansas, and another in Overland Park, Kansas. If you live outside the area, you can take advantage of the bank's mobile app and network of ATMs.
- Does NBKC offer free money for signing up for an account?
- Not at the moment, but in 2019, the bank did offer a limited time promotion where you could earn a 1.77% APY for opening a money market account.
Rates are subject to change. Information on accounts is accurate as of Dec. 28, 2020.
This content is not provided by NBKC Bank. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by NBKC Bank.