Whether you have excellent credit, average credit or are rebuilding your credit, Capital One offers a range of credit cards with perks like no annual fee, low introductory rates, unlimited Capital One rewards miles and unlimited cash back. Here’s what you need to know in order to apply and get approved for a credit card from Capital One.
Capital One Mastercards
Capital One has several Mastercard options. Here are some of the most popular:
- The Savor Card, offering 3 percent cash back on dining, 2 percent on groceries and 1 percent on all other purchases.
- The Venture Rewards card with unlimited double miles per dollar spent and 50,000 bonus miles when you spend $3,000 within 90 days of opening your Capital One account.
- The Capital One secured credit card, which comes with unlimited credit monitoring, for individuals looking to improve their credit.
- The BuyPower Card, a Capital One partner card that allows you to earn rewards toward the purchase of a new Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac.
All Capital One credit cards offer personalized account alerts and allow you to pick the due date for your Capital One payments. To take advantage of balance transfers, 24/7 customer service and Capital One online banking with the Capital One mobile app, you’ll need to first get approved for a card.
How to Apply and Get Approved for a Capital One Credit Card
Applying for a Capital One credit card is straightforward. Follow these steps to improve your chances of getting approved:
1. Choose Your Card
Individuals who have received a Capital One credit card preapproval might — and likely will — qualify for other Capital One rewards cards.
Capital One has an informative comparison tool that lets you review the credit card options side-by-side. You can sort by card type, rewards type, rates and fees and credit level — excellent, average or rebuilding.
2. Choose How to Apply for the Credit Card
You can apply for a Capital One credit card online or in person at a Capital One branch:
- Online: Fill out the full application on Capital One’s secure website. You will receive an answer the same day with instant approval. You can also get a Capital One pre-approval with the company’s “Find My Card” tool to instantly see if you’re prequalified, with no impact on your credit.
- Local Branch: A banker can help you complete and process your Capital One credit card app. Find a location near you on the Capital One website or call 877-383-4802.
3. Review the Terms and Conditions
All Capital One credit cards, including the Capital One Platinum Mastercard, have full rates and disclosures that clearly state annual fees, cash advance fees and penalty fees, and explain how your balance is calculated and what your grace period is to pay. Review these terms carefully, as you are agreeing to them — and agreeing that you understand them — when you submit your Capital One credit card application.
Find Out: 5 Tips to Avoid Credit Card Late Fees
4. Wait for Approval and Set Up Your Account
When you apply for a credit card, Capital One will check your credit report to determine your credit history. You will disclose your income and ability to pay and receive an immediate answer on your Capital One credit card status. Applicants who don’t qualify for a credit card can set up a secured card with a deposit. Once your account has been approved, you’ll be able to set up your Capital One login and establish your account.
Along with credit card miles and cash back rewards, banking with Capital One might have other benefits, such as low rates on car purchases with Capital One auto finance.