Social Security: When To Inform the SSA of Life Changes

Senior couple with computer.
NI QIN / Getty Images

If something big happens in your life, it could affect your Social Security benefits. According to the Social Security Administration, you have a legal responsibility to report changes no later than 10 days after the end of the month in which the change occurred. Certain life changes could affect your eligibility for disability, retirement and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits or it could affect your benefit amount.

Discover: 10 Reasons You Should Claim Social Security Early
More: 20 Best Places To Live on Only a Social Security Check

The SSA must be notified if any of these common life changes occur:

  • You moved.
  • You recently married or divorced.
  • You changed your name.
  • You adopted a child.
  • You’re no longer caring for a child who receives benefits.
  • If you are a non-citizen and your status changes.
  • If you start getting a pension from work not covered by Social Security.
  • If you leave the United States for more than 30 days.
  • If you become unable to manage your funds.
  • If you are convicted of a criminal offense.
  • If the beneficiary dies.
Retire Comfortably

POLL: Do You Think Student Loan Debt Should Be Forgiven?

Any changes could mean you’re due additional benefits or you may have to pay back some of those benefits. If you fail to report a change in a timely manner, a penalty may be applied that will reduce your monthly benefit amount. Failure to report changes or intentionally making a false statement could result in SSI, disability and retirement benefits being withheld.

The SSA may also impose a sanction against payments. The first sanction is a loss of payments for six months and additional sanctions are for 12 and 24 months.

Read More: 6 Bad Habits That Hike Up Your Grocery Bill
Find Out: How To Get Rich With a Normal Job

You can report any changes to the SSA online at or by calling 1-800-772-1213 or TTY 1-800-325-0778 if you’re deaf or hearing impaired. You can also mail information to your local Social Security office or visit in person. If you need to change your address or direct deposit information, you can do so through your mySocialSecurity account.

Retire Comfortably

More From GOBankingRates

Share this article:

Retire Comfortably

About the Author

Josephine Nesbit is a freelance writer specializing in real estate and personal finance. She grew up in New England but is now based out of Ohio where she attended The Ohio State University and lives with her two toddlers and fiancé. Her work has appeared in print and online publications such as Fox Business and Scotsman Guide.
Learn More

Best Bank Accounts for September 2022

Untitled design (1)
Close popup The GBR Closer icon

Sending you timely financial stories that you can bank on.

Sign up for our daily newsletter for the latest financial news and trending topics.

Please enter an email.
Please enter a valid email address.
There was an unknown error. Please try again later.

For our full Privacy Policy, click here.