- Supports multiple cryptocurrencies
- Generous crypto rewards
- Intuitive mobile app
- Contactless payments
- Robust security
- Ability to transform crypto account to a spendable bank account
- 2.49% cryptocurrency liquidation fee
The cryptocurrency industry has gained much traction in recent years, with cryptocurrency exchanges introducing better ways for consumers to get the most out of their preferred coins.
Coinbase is one of the largest cryptocurrency exchanges in the U.S., offering a broad selection of digital assets. It currently offers a debit card that allows users to earn rewards and other perks whenever they spend.
Find out more about what the card offers in this Coinbase Card review.
What Is Coinbase Debit Card?
Coinbase debit card is a Visa card that allows you to earn up to 4% back in rewards each time you make a purchase. This card is like any other traditional debit card, but it allows you to make purchases using cryptocurrency instead of cash.
It’s essentially a Visa debit card linked to your Coinbase crypto account balance that you can use anywhere that accepts Visa cards. You don’t have to liquidate your digital assets every time you visit a store — Coinbase does this for you. For every transaction, the card automatically converts digital assets into U.S. dollars.
When signing up for a Coinbase debit card, you’ll have an option to choose your preferred rewards. You can choose between 1% back in Bitcoin or 4% back in Stellar Lumens. However, you can switch between the two reward structures whenever you find one more appealing than the other. Once you set up your preferred reward offer, Coinbase can credit your rewards to your account after each transaction.
Coinbase Card Features
Take a look at some of the features that the Coinbase card offers.
$0 Annual Fee
The Coinbase debit card has no annual fee, making it one of the most preferred crypto debit cards. You can shop at your favorite stores and earn rewards, and you don’t have to pay an annual fee.
Supports Multiple Cryptocurrencies
The Coinbase wallet supports a broad selection of cryptocurrencies, including:
- Stellar Lumens
- Bitcoin Cash
Even though the Coinbase wallet supports several coins, keep in mind that you can only earn rewards for bitcoin (BTC) and Stellar Lumens (XLM).
With the Coinbase debit card, you don’t have to worry about losing your digital assets because Coinbase has extensive security to keep your coins safe. Plus, it has a two-step verification and you can instantly freeze your account if you suspect it has been compromised.
As mentioned earlier, the Coinbase card lets you earn rewards every time you purchase at your preferred stores. You can earn up to 4% crypto-related rewards, including 1% back in Bitcoin and 4% back in XLM.
Coinbase will disburse your rewards once a transaction is complete. It will typically take anywhere between one to five days for the rewards to hit your account, but it the exact times will depend on the merchant.
What’s more, Coinbase gives you the flexibility to choose your preferred reward structure, with the ability to toggle between the two whenever you see fit.
You can make contactless payments using the Coinbase card at your favorite stores, provided that the store has a near-field communication, also known as NFC, terminal enabled.
When it comes to fees, the Coinbase card stands out. From the no card issuance fee to no annual fee, you’re likely to get the most out of it without racking up yearly charges. However, you’ll still incur some fees based on how you use the card.
Coinbase will charge you a 2.49% transaction fee for every purchase, including ATM withdrawals. For example, if you spend $200 of Bitcoin using your Coinbase card, you’ll incur a 2.49% fee, which is $4.98.
Coinbase has an intuitive mobile app that makes it easy to manage your spending on the go. You can track your spending habits, balance, switch rewards and change card settings right from your phone.
Another interesting feature about the Coinbase card app is the ability to choose the crypto you want to spend. You can also turn on app notifications so that you don’t miss out on any important information.
Advantages of Coinbase Card
- Almost no fees: Coinbase card has no annual fee, sign up fee or card issuance fee.
- Robust security: With the Coinbase debit card, you can rest assured that your digital assets are safe. The two-step verification, instant card freeze and other security features will protect your card and digital assets.
- Generous rewards: The card offers up to 4% of crypto-related rewards, including 4% back in Stellar Lumens and 1% back in Bitcoin.
- Contactless payments: You can pay with a contactless payment method at your preferred stores and even withdraw money from any ATM.
Disadvantages of Coinbase Card
- 2.49% cryptocurrency liquidation fee: One of the significant drawbacks of the Coinbase card is the high cryptocurrency liquidation fee. You’ll incur a 2.49% transaction fee for all purchases.
Is It Safe?
Coinbase is among the safest debit cards on the market today. With two-step verification, instant card freeze and other security features, both your coins and card are secure.
You can contact Coinbase customer service via phone, email and through the mobile app. If you suspect that your account has been compromised, you can call Coinbase through its automated phone support to disable your account.
For anything apart from that — including recovering your account after being disabled — you’ll need to submit an email request. What’s more, Coinbase has a help center where you can get answers to most of your queries.
Although Coinbase doesn’t have live chat support, you’ll likely get the help you need with the available customer service options.
Who Is It Best For?
If you’re an active crypto trader, the Coinbase Card might be the crypto debit card you’ve been looking for. The card is also ideal for anyone who wants to earn rewards for everyday purchases.
The Coinbase card is undoubtedly one of the most popular crypto debit cards on the market. The card has almost no fees, supports multiple cryptocurrencies and offers generous rewards for everyday spending, making it the go-to option for many traders and investors.
Coinbase Card FAQHere are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about the Coinbase card.
- Is the Coinbase card free?
- The Coinbase card does not charge fees, provided you spend on USDC. Other transactions attract a 2.49% liquidation fee or on purchases such as ATM withdrawls when using another form of crypto.
- How does a Coinbase card work?
- The Coinbase card allows you to draw your Coinbase account balances of cryptocurrencies to make purchases. For every transaction, the exchange automatically converts crypto into U.S. dollars.
- Can I use my Coinbase card anywhere?
- The Coinbase card is a Visa card and you can use it anywhere Visa is accepted.