Ease of Use
- Easy, online ordering
- Online pricing for many investment options
- AAA rating from the Business Consumer Alliance and 4.9 stars from TrustPilot
- Gold, silver and platinum only
- No option to open an account online
- Emerging from recent bankruptcy
Lear Capital Gold and Precious Metals Overview
Lear Capital has been open since 1997, longer than many of its contemporaries in the gold, silver and precious metals industry. The company boasts strong ratings from the Business Consumer Alliance and on TrustPilot, and it offers a wide variety of gold and silver investments, from rare coins to strict bullion purchases.
It’s important to note, however, that the company chose to file Chapter 11 bankruptcy in March 2022 after paying out $8.75 million to the New York Attorney General and the Los Angeles City Attorney’s Office. These payouts were in response to lawsuits accusing the firm of breaching state consumer protection laws. The firm noted at the time that it was filing bankruptcy to protect itself from additional future litigation. As a result, the firm has no rating with the Better Business Bureau.
- Easy, online ordering
- Online pricing
- 24-hour risk-free purchase guarantee
- Free IRA setup and storage
Easy, Online Ordering
Unlike with some of its competitors, Lear Capital lets you check out specific available investments right on its website. While you can assume that Lear Capital’s competitors offer the same type of bullion investments, Lear also offers specific coins that competitors may or may not offer — and it can be hard to find out, because they don’t all have those types of listings directly on their website.
In addition to showing what it has for sale directly on its website, Lear Capital also shows you the real-time pricing for many of its investments. This can make investing in precious metals with Lear Capital much easier, as you can see what you’d be paying for numerous choices instead of having to call a representative to get pricing every time you want to buy.
24-Hour Risk-Free Purchase Guarantee
Things can change fast in the precious metals world. If a macroeconomic event occurs that changes your outlook on your investment — or simply if you have a change of heart — you can take advantage of Lear Capital’s 24-hour, risk-free purchase guarantee. Regardless of why you no longer want to buy, Lear Capital guarantees that you can cancel any purchase orders within the first 24 hours and get your money back, no questions asked.
Free IRA Setup and Storage
If you invest between $25,000 and $50,000, Lear Capital will pay your first year’s IRA setup and storage fees. Other investment amounts may get you more or less by way of fee coverage, as follows:
- $50K to $75K: First and second year fees are free.
- $75K and up: First/second/third year fees are free.
- Over $10K: $50 set-up is fee covered.
Note that without these investment minimums, or after the stated time period has expired, Lear Capital charges an IRA fee of $280 for the first year and $200 for each successive year.
How Lear Capital Gold and Precious Metals Stands Out
Publicly displayed pricing and a 24-hour purchase guarantee help make Lear Capital stand out by taking the mystery out of buying precious metals. Unfortunately, the firm also stands out on the downside, as its Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing in early 2022 may give potential investors caution.
Comparable Gold and Precious Metal Options
Lear Capital Gold and Precious Metals is not the only game in town. Two of its most prominent competitors, American Hartford Gold and Advantage Gold, give the company a run for its money in terms of services and offerings.
American Hartford Gold
American Hartford Gold is the largest seller of gold and silver in America, despite having only been around since 2015. American Hartford Gold offers a price match guarantee for the products it sells, in addition to free IRA storage for up to three years, celebrity endorsements, and free shipping of orders.
Advantage Gold dubs itself the “#1 Rated Gold Company in America” and has been featured in USA Today, Forbes, Inc. 5000 and The Wall Street Journal. In addition to gold and silver, Advantage Gold also offers platinum and palladium investments, along with Precious Metals IRAs.
How To Apply
You can begin the account application process directly on Lear Capital’s website, by providing your first name, last name, email address and telephone number. Unfortunately, that’s where the convenience of the account-opening process vanishes. From there, you’ll be in a holding pattern until a Lear Capital representative contacts you directly for additional information.
Who Lear Capital Gold and Precious Metals Is Best For
If you want to primarily invest in gold and silver, Lear Capital Gold and Precious Metals might be a good option for you. The company offers upfront pricing on many products right on its website and has a good selection of gold and silver options. If you’re looking for palladium or other precious metals investments, it’s not the best choice.
Based on recent reviews, Lear Capital seems to have gotten its act together and now provides a solid offering for precious metals investors. However, some competitors may have the edge in terms of product depth and lower fees.
Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about Lear Capital.
- Is Lear Capital a legitimate company?
- Lear Capital is a legitimate company with high ratings on TrustPilot and the Business Consumer Alliance. While it did file bankruptcy in 2022, it did not liquidate and continues to operate fully.
- What is the minimum investment for Lear Capital?
- The minimum investment for Lear Capital is not disclosed on their website. You'll have to contact a representative to get current requirements.
- What is the Lear Capital lawsuit?
- Lear Capital filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy in Mar. 2022 after the Los Angeles City Attorney and the New York District Attorney filed lawsuits alleging the violation of state consumer-protection statutes. The bankruptcy filing came after the firm paid out $8.75 million to these two entities.
- What are the complaints against Lear Capital?
- Since the company filed bankruptcy, consumers have had mostly positive reviews of the firm. On TrustPilot, Lear Capital scores 4.9 stars. The company sports a 4.7 rating on ConsumerAffairs and a 4.8 rating from over 300 Google reviews. Complaints include aggressive salesmanship, poor pricing and high fees.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by any entity covered in this article. Any opinions, analyses, reviews, ratings or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any entity named in this article.
Our in-house research team and on-site financial experts work together to create content that’s accurate, impartial, and up to date. We fact-check every single statistic, quote and fact using trusted primary resources to make sure the information we provide is correct. You can learn more about GOBankingRates’ processes and standards in our editorial policy.
- The Wall Street Journal. 2022. "Lear Capital Files for Bankruptcy to Weather Potential Legal Claims."
- Better Business Bureau. "Lear Capital, Inc."
- ConsumerAffairs. "1248 Lear Capital Reviews: Is It legit?"