US Bank Review: In-Branch to Google Home Banking Options
Mobile App/Digital Experience
Breadth of Products
- Variety of checking and money market accounts
- Four CD types
- Multiple credit card types
- Full-service banking
- Physical locations in only 25 states
- Low interest rates
About US Bank
U.S. Bank is the fifth-largest bank in the country, and it offers a number of products and services to meet the banking needs of personal and business customers, including wealth management services. If you’re looking for a one-stop-shop for all your money management needs, U.S. Bank is worth considering. GOBankingRates has named U.S. Bank the Best National Bank of 2021 in its annual Best Banks rankings.
U.S. Bank has about 2,800 branches and 4,500 ATMs, primarily in the Midwestern and Western regions of the U.S. It also offers online and mobile banking options that allow you to make deposits with mobile deposit, send money through Zelle, pay bills and transfer money, all from your computer or mobile device or even through Google Home, Siri or Amazon Alexa.
US Bank Products
Whether you want to save, borrow or invest money, U.S. Bank has a product or service to meet your needs. Here are the details on its offerings.
|Savings Account||Interest-bearing account with easily avoidable monthly fee|
|Money Market Accounts||Several money market options available|
|CDs||Multiple CD variations available|
|Checking Accounts||Five levels of checking accounts available, from student accounts to premier options; interest checking accounts available|
|IRAs||Self-directed, automated and professional-directed IRAs available|
|Managed Portfolios||Automated or professionally managed portfolios available|
|Self-Directed Trading||$4.95 online trades, with 100 free trades per year|
|Loans||Personal loans and lines of credit|
|Credit Cards||Variety of cash-back and rewards cards, including options with a 0% intro APR|
US Bank Savings Account
U.S. Bank offers a single savings account. The account earns interest — albeit at a meager rate — and offers online access, automated savings options, eStatements and overdraft protection service.
- No ATM fees at U.S. Bank ATMs
- $25 minimum opening deposit
- $4 monthly maintenance fee waived with a $300 minimum daily ledger balance, a $1,000 average monthly collected balance, or account holder(s) under age 18
- Easy to avoid small monthly maintenance fee
- No ATM fees at U.S. Bank machines
- Very low 0.01% annual percentage yield
US Bank Money Market Accounts
U.S. Bank offers several money market account options, including the Elite Money Market Account, which GOBankingRates has ranked as the Best Money Market Account of 2021. The fee for the Elite Money Market account can be waived, and the Platinum Select Money Market Savings and Package Money Market Savings accounts have no monthly fees.
Additional money market account types might be available in some locations.
- Basic money market account offers competitive, high-yield interest rate with check-writing access
- Tiered rates with Elite Money Market account for customers with larger balances
- Package relationship customers eligible for top-tier money market options
- Minimum opening deposit of $25 for Platinum Select and Package accounts or $100 for Elite account
- $10,000 minimum daily ledger balance to avoid $10 monthly fee for Elite account
- Several types of money market accounts
- Tiered interest rates
- Check-writing privileges
- High $10 monthly maintenance fee on Elite Money Market
US Bank CD Accounts
U.S. Bank offers four certificate of deposit categories: Step Up, CD Special, Trade Up and regular CDs.
- Regular CDs have a minimum deposit of $500
- Step Up and CD Special have a minimum deposit of $1,000
- CD Specials have four terms: 11 months, 19 months, 27 months and 59 months
- Varying types of CDs to choose from
- No fees to invest in a U.S. Bank CD
- Rates rise every seven months for 28 months with the Step Up CD
- Low APYs, with a top rate of 0.50% APY on the 59-month CD Special
US Bank Checking Accounts
U.S. Bank has five tiers of checking accounts available. All monthly maintenance fees can be waived if you meet certain requirements, such as minimum balance requirements or multiple accounts. GOBankingRates has ranked U.S. Bank’s Easy Checking account among the Best Checking Accounts of 2021.
- Gold Checking with extra benefits for U.S. Bank credit card and loan customers
- Free student checking
- Top-tier Platinum Checking with U.S. Bank’s best rates and perks
- Multiple checking account types
- Low $25 minimum deposit for all checking accounts
- Monthly maintenance fees as high as $24.95 per month if not waived
As a national bank, the strength of U.S. Bank lies in its in-branch services and thousands of ATMs. Its 24/7 customer service is befitting a full-service, national institution, as is its wide range of accounts and services.
U.S. Bank offers cutting-edge banking technology. In addition to advanced facial and fingerprint authentication on its mobile apps, U.S. Bank offers voice banking via Alexa, Siri and Google Home. The bank’s iOS and Android apps are popular, receiving a 4.8 rating on the App Store and 4.6 stars on Google Play.
One of U.S. Bank’s strengths is in its customer service. You can reach the bank 24/7 at 800-872-2657. You can also email the bank at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Availability of Funds
Funds at U.S. Bank are immediately available for the following types of deposits:
- Cash (if deposited in person with a U.S. Bank employee)
- Electronic direct deposits
- Wire transfers
The first $225 from the total of all other deposits made on any given day is immediately available. Delays may apply to various forms of deposits.
Customer service number: 800-872-2657
Routing number: See routing numbers by region
Promotions: See Newest U.S. Bank Promos and Bonuses
Hours: See U.S. Bank’s Hours
Login: U.S. Bank Login Help
US Bank Fees
U.S. Bank doesn’t charge fees for withdrawals from its ATMs, but non-U.S. Bank ATM transactions may face fees of $2.50. Wire transfers incur charges that range from $20 for incoming domestic wires to $50 for outgoing international wires. For all accounts, the U.S. Bank overdraft fee is $36 for items above $5, although that can be reduced to $12.50 for standard overdraft protection or $0 for Platinum Checking customers. Monthly service fees for checking, savings and money market accounts range between $0 and $24.95, although most can be eliminated with qualifying activities or balances.
US Bank vs. Competitors
When you’re shopping for a bank, it’s helpful to evaluate several to see how their products and services compare. Here’s a look at how U.S. Bank measures up to three of its competitors.
|U.S. Bank||24/7 customer service, breadth of accounts|
|Chase||Credit card lineup, branch access|
|Bank of America||Slightly higher savings rates|
|Wells Fargo||Slightly lower checking account fees|
US Bank vs. Bank of America
Bank of America has slightly higher APYs available on some of its relationship savings accounts, but otherwise, there are many similarities between Bank of America and U.S. Bank. U.S. Bank does currently offer bigger incentives than Bank of America does to sign up for some of its accounts.
US Bank vs. Wells Fargo
Wells Fargo has slightly lower checking account fees than U.S. Bank and more ways to avoid them. U.S. Bank has lower minimums for some accounts, such as its line of CDs.
US Bank vs. Chase
Chase has more ATMs and branches than U.S. Bank, with over 4,700 locations vs. about 2,800 for U.S. Bank. U.S. Bank has slightly higher CD yields and offers many of the same services as Chase.
Like most national banks, U.S. Bank has a host of monthly maintenance and service fees. However, most of these can be avoided, particularly by active clients, and the breadth and quality of product and service offerings at U.S. Bank are first-rate. Those looking for a completely fee-free experience with high APYs may be happier with an online bank, however.
U.S. Bank’s breadth of services and 24/7 customer service make it an interesting choice for those who prefer traditional banking.
US Bank FAQHere are the answers to some commonly asked questions about U.S. Bank.
- Is U.S. Bank the same as U.S. Bancorp?
- U.S. Bancorp is the parent company of U.S. Bank.
- Does U.S. Bank have 24-hour customer service?
- Yes, you can reach U.S. Bank customer service 24/7 at 800-872-2657.
- What does the "U.S." stand for in U.S. Bank?
- The "U.S." in U.S. Bank comes from an early incarnation of the bank, the United States National Bank of Portland, which was chartered in 1891.
- How do I check my balance with U.S. Bank?
- You can check your U.S. Bank balance on the website, via the mobile app or by phone.
- Does U.S. Bank offer free money for signing up for an account?
- Through Dec. 14, U.S. Bank offered a bonus of up to $500 for signing up for a checking account and completing qualifying activities. Check the U.S. Bank website for updated bank promotions and to take advantage of credit card bonus offers that can earn you up to 25,000 bonus points.
Gabrielle Olya contributed to the reporting for this article.
Rates are subject to change; unless otherwise noted, rates are updated periodically. All other information on accounts is accurate as of Dec. 13, 2020.
This content is not provided by U.S. Bank. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by U.S. Bank.