- No annual fee
- 3X rewards on restaurants, travel, gas stations, transit, popular streaming services and phone plans
- Generous introductory offer on purchases
- May be difficult for those with lower credit scores to qualify
Wells Fargo occasionally releases new credit cards to keep up with the ever-changing needs of the market. In 2021, Wells Fargo released the Active Cash and Reflect Cards. For 2022, the financial institution released the to help cardholders maximize reward points on everyday spending categories such as restaurants, travel, gas stations, transit, popular streaming services and phone plans.
Krista Phillips, EVP, head of Branded Cards and Marketing for Wells Fargo Credit Cards says, “Now more than ever, consumers want a card that lets them go their own way, from everyday adventures to annual escapes. This card complements our other credit cards so that we can offer customers real, transparent value no matter what they’re looking for in their credit card.”
Wells Fargo provides an enticing introductory offer of 0% APR for the first 12 months after approval, an excellent opportunity to make major purchases and pay them off in installments for the first 12 months with no finance charges. After the introductory period, a rate of will apply.
One of the biggest selling points of the new card are the signup perks and cardholder benefits. New cardholders can kickstart their rewards journey with the chance to earn a limited time offer of 30,000 bonus points when you spend $1,500 in purchases in the first 3 months. This rewards bonus has a $300 cash redemption value.
Even without the signup bonus, this credit card still has some impressive cardholder benefits. Cardholders get up to $600 of cell phone coverage — subject to a $25 deductible — when you pay your monthly wireless bill associated with your cell phone with your eligible Wells Fargo credit card. The free coverage reimburses you for repairs or the replacement of your mobile device if it’s lost or damaged. However, cosmetic damage such as scratches or cracked screens, or any other type of damage that doesn’t affect the phone’s functionality isn’t covered.
As for travel, the Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver is a secondary form of vehicle insurance to cover damages or losses caused by theft or an accident involving a rental vehicle for up to $50,000. Your rental vehicle is protected for 15 days in the U.S. or 31 days overseas.
Travel and Emergency Assistance Services is available to assist and provide referrals while you’re out of town regarding lost luggage, medical or legal issues and more. Visa Signature Concierge Services will assist you with travel and entertainment bookings.
Once you spend $1,500 in the first three months, you’ll receive a bonus of 30,000 points in rewards, which has a $300 cash redemption value. Besides the signup bonus, all purchases earn at least 1X. Plus, you can earn an elevated 3X points on restaurants, travel, gas stations, transit, popular streaming services — whether or not you’re at home — and phone plans with no rewards caps or limits on rewards and points.
You won’t have to worry about having to activate the categories or follow a quarterly rewards calendar as with other rewards cards. The categories outlined above will always earn 3X. All charges made on the Autograph Visa will earn at least one point for every dollar spent.
Autograph cardholders can redeem points through My Wells Fargo Rewards. According to the financial institution, it’s a merchant-funded platform of offers presenting cash back in the form of statement credits for dining, shopping or experiences. You’ll need to activate the deal in Online Banking first and then make the purchase using the card. Plus, the Wells Fargo Autograph Card is integrated with the Wells Fargo Rewards platform to make other point redemption possible.
Wells Fargo is well known for its customer service through the presence of local branches nationwide as well as online and phone support. For card support, log in to your account or call 1-800-642-4720. You can also redeem rewards by calling 1-877-517-1358.
How Wells Fargo Autograph Card Stands Out
The Wells Fargo Autograph Card stands out for several reasons. There is a lucrative signup bonus, the chance to earn 3X points on some of the most popular spending purchases such as travel, gas and restaurants and no annual fee. Redeeming the rewards is possible as statement credits, applying points towards purchases at participating merchants or redeeming for travel, entertainment, merchandise and more at the Wells Fargo Rewards portal.
Wells Fargo Autograph Card vs. Competitors
Take a look at how the Wells Fargo Autograph Card compares to other established rewards cards.
Wells Fargo Autograph Card vs.
The Wells Fargo Autograph Card and Discover it are both cash rewards cards that earn a 1% or 1X base rate on purchases plus additional earnings on select categories. However, the Autograph card provides you with more flexibility with the option to redeem for more than just cash. Points can be redeemed for merchandise and travel as well. The Discover it card’s cash rewards balance can be applied towards select purchases such as Amazon or towards your statement balance.
Earning rewards from either card depends on your spending category. The Wells Fargo Autograph Card lets you earn 1X on all spending and 3X on restaurants, travel, gas stations, transit, popular streaming services and phone plans. The Discover it card earns 1X on all spending and 5X cash back at different places each quarter. The 5X cash back has a quarterly maximum and you must activate your 5x rewards each quarter.
With the Discover it card, you’ll get a dollar-for-dollar cashback match at the end of your first year with the credit card. That’s an opportunity to double your rewards.
Wells Fargo Autograph Card vs.
The Chase Freedom Unlimited credit card offers a higher base rate of 1.5% cash back. You’ll also earn 5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3% cash back on drugstore purchases and dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery service. As mentioned, the Wells Fargo Autograph card offers 1X on all spending and 3X on restaurants, travel, gas stations, transit, popular streaming services and phone plans.
Both cards have no annual fee and are backed by two of the largest financial institutions in the country. The Chase Freedom Unlimited card is a great choice if you spend broadly across many categories to earn the 1.5% cash back. If the bulk of your card spending is in the categories that earn 3X through the Autograph Visa such as gas or travel, it may be the better option of the two.
If you spend $500 on purchases within three months of opening this Chase card, you’ll score a $200 bonus. Plus, you’ll get 5% cash back on your grocery store purchases up to $12,000 for the first year.
How To Apply
To apply, head over to the Wells Fargo website, navigate to the credit card listings and click “Apply Now” on the listing for the Wells Fargo Autograph Card. From there, fill out the required information and click “Submit.”
Who Wells Fargo Autograph Card Is Best For
The Wells Fargo Autograph Card is best for individuals in search of a no-annual-fee card that provides some of Visa’s best services such as phone protection, travel concierge, secondary car rental coverage and emergency travel assistance. Earning 3X on categories such as gas, travel and dining is the icing on the cake.
Wells Fargo Bank’s latest credit card introduction is the Wells Fargo Autograph Card. The financial institution looked at what categories cardholders most typically spend on and designed a card that earns triple the points in those categories. These extras make it an excellent option when you’re in search of a rewards Visa with a $0 annual fee.
Wells Fargo Autograph Card FAQHere are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about the Wells Fargo Autograph Card.
- When can I apply for a Wells Fargo Autograph Card?
- The Wells Fargo Autograph Card is the bank's latest release and is currently accepting applications on their website.
- Is there a Wells Fargo Autograph Card signup bonus?
- The Wells Fargo Autograph Card has a signup bonus of 20,000 rewards points -- a $200 cash redemption value. To earn the bonus, you'll need to spend $1,000 or more in purchases within the first three months.
- What is a Wells Fargo Autograph Card?
- The Wells Fargo Autograph Card is a rewards credit card issued by Wells Fargo. You can earn 3x points on every dollar spent at restaurants, travel, gas, transit, phone plans, and streaming services. Plus, 1x points per dollar on all other purchases.
- What credit score is needed for Wells Fargo Autograph Card?
- Wells Fargo doesn't publish credit score requirements for the Autograph card. However, this rewards credit card is aimed at consumers with good credit. With that, you may need a credit score of around 670 or higher.
- Should I get a Wells Fargo Autograph Card?
- The decision to add a rewards credit card to your wallet is based on your personal spending habits. Take a look at the rewards-earning opportunity and see how much you would earn based on your average spending. If you compare your potential rewards across multiple credit cards, you'll find the most lucrative option for your situation.
- Does Wells Fargo have a Visa Signature Card?
- Yes. The Wells Fargo Autograph card enjoys Visa Signature benefits, such as extended warranty protection; reimbursement for lost luggage, trip cancellation, trip delay/interruption reimbursement, travel accident insurance, emergency medical or dental care, and more.
- What is the Wells Fargo Autograph Card offer?
- New cardholders will receive a generous introductory offer on purchases. There is also a welcome bonus of 20,000 rewards points cardmembers can earn after spending $1,000 in the first three months.
Sarah Sharkey contributed to the reporting for this article.
Rates are subject to change; unless otherwise noted, rates are updated periodically. All other information on accounts is accurate as of Jan. 5, 2023.
The information related to Chase Freedom Unlimited was collected by GOBankingRates and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this product/card. Product details may vary. Please see issuer website for current information. GOBankingRates does not receive commission for this product.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by any entity covered in this article. Any opinions, analyses, reviews, ratings or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any entity named in this article.