Gemini Review 2022: Should You Trade Crypto With Gemini?
Earning Rewards and Interest
- Intuitive platform for trading cryptocurrencies
- Get up to 8.05% APY with Gemini Earn
- Earn crypto rewards with the Gemini Credit Card
- Get a limited-time bonus offer of $7 in ETH just for signing up
- Gemini is a licensed New York trust company
- Hardware security keys are available for enhanced security
- Only around 85 altcoins available for trading
- Trading fees are on the high end of the spectrum
Gemini is a premier cryptocurrency exchange that gives traders all the tools they need to succeed in the industry. The company’s website makes it easy for beginners to access cryptocurrency and visualize their holdings, while its ActiveTrader platform offers all the tools professional crypto traders could want.
Users can earn up to 8.05% APY with Gemini Earn by parking their crypto holdings, much like they would park fiat currency in a savings account. This APY offering is more than 200 times the national average savings account interest rate of 0.04%. Users can also take advantage of a credit card that offers up to 3.00% back in crypto rewards with no annual fee.
As a limited-time offer, new users receive $7 in ETH just for signing up, and the security features on the platform lead the industry.
Trading fees are the primary drawback to the service, as they tend to be on the high side. Also, some users may find limitations to access since there are only around 85 cryptocurrencies available.
Here are some of Gemini’s most important features.
Gemini offers a simple exchange for beginners where users can easily access and manage crypto investments. However, more active traders can opt to use Gemini ActiveTrader, a robust trading platform designed with the professional crypto trader in mind. Some of the most compelling perks of using the ActiveTrader platform include:
- The ability to execute trades in milliseconds
- Access to multiple order types and execution options
- Access to advanced charting features to take advantage of technical indicators
- Intuitive ease of use on both the mobile and desktop versions
High fees hurt Gemini’s GOBankingRates score. Here’s a look at the platform’s fee schedule.
|$10 or Less||$0.99 (9.90% or greater)|
|$10.01 to $25.00||$1.49 (5.96% or greater)|
|$25.01 to $50.00||$1.99 (3.98% or greater)|
|$50.01 to $200||$2.99 (1.495% or greater)|
|More than $200||1.49% or less|
The fee schedule may seem minimal at first glance. However, these fees are high compared to competitors like Crypto.com, which charges fees ranging from 0.04% to 0.40%.
The Gemini exchange provides access to around 85 different altcoins, including popular coins like Bitcoin, Ether and Bitcoin Cash. Gemini received a 4-rating here because the available cryptocurrencies are a good starting point for beginner traders, but more advanced traders may look to other exchanges for access to a wider range of altcoins.
Earning Rewards and Interest
Members can put more cryptocurrency in their digital wallets using Gemini thanks to additional perks that lead to reward coins and interest payments. These perks include:
- The Gemini Credit Card. Gemini credit card members will earn up to 3% cryptocurrency back when using their cards.
- Bonus ETH: New members earn $7 in ETH when they complete the onboarding process.
- Gemini Earn: Users can park their crypto holdings with Gemini Earn and earn up to 8.05% interest.
Here’s a look at some of Gemini’s other features.
Ease of Use
Gemini exchange members enjoy a streamlined view of their cryptocurrency holdings and all the tools they need to become successful crypto traders. The platform is far from convoluted, even though it features a robust set of trading tools. Everything seems to be where the user needs it, when they need it, making the exchange a great option for beginner traders.
Gemini exchange users can rest assured their money is in safe hands thanks to the company’s industry-leading focus on security. The exchange offers the following security features:
- Gemini is a licensed New York trust company. This means the company undergoes routine bank exams and the occasional cybersecurity audit to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Users can secure their Gemini accounts with hardware security keys.
- Gemini was the first-ever cryptocurrency exchange to become SOC 1 Type 2 and SOC 2 Type 2 compliant.
- Leading insurance providers insure all cryptocurrency holdings on the Gemini platform.
Good To Know
Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies are speculative investments and come with a relatively high level of risk. The fact that the market is highly unregulated expands the risk of investing in cryptocurrency. Those interested in investing in and trading altcoins should ensure they understand the risks before getting involved.
Comparable Crypto Exchanges
While Gemini offers several features that attract many investors, it may not be for everyone. Those who want to trade crypto but aren’t impressed with the Gemini exchange might want to consider the following options.
Crypto.com offers access to more than 250 different cryptocurrencies, and it does so while charging some of the most competitive fees in the industry. Crypto.com also offers a rewards credit card that gives cardholders the ability to earn up to 8% back in cryptocurrency and a crypto parking feature that makes it possible for members to earn up to 14.5% on their holdings.
Binance offers access to more than 80 cryptocurrencies and a robust community of cryptocurrency enthusiasts. Like Gemini, the company offers a trading platform that comes with all the tools pros would need, set up in a way that even beginners will understand.
This platform has a far more competitive fee structure than Gemini, but it doesn’t offer a crypto rewards credit card. Money earned from staking or saving cryptocurrency is also minimal compared to the 8.05% APY Gemini exchange users can earn.
How To Sign Up
Anyone interested in signing up with the Gemini exchange should take the following steps.
After completing these steps, a user will have access to a new Gemini account. They can then deposit funds into it and start trading.
Gemini: Best for New Investors Staking Cryptocurrencies
Gemini is a great option for beginner cryptocurrency investors, especially those who want to take advantage of staking altcoins to earn interest on their holdings. Gemini’s limited number of available altcoins and its high fees may make more advanced traders turn to other crypto exchanges, though.
Start Investing With Gemini
Gemini FAQIt's common to have questions about anything new — especially cryptocurrency. Here are answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about the Gemini exchange.
- Is Gemini a good exchange?
- Gemini is a great exchange for the right person. The exchange offers up to 8.05% APY on cryptocurrency holdings, access to more than 85 altcoins, and $7 in ETH when new users sign up. However, it may not be a good fit for highly active traders because the platform charges high trading fees.
- Is Gemini an exchange or a wallet?
- Gemini is a cryptocurrency exchange that's coupled with a secure cryptocurrency wallet. Users can further secure their wallets by using WebAuthn hardware security keys.
- What coin trades does Gemini support?
- More than 85 different altcoins are available on the Gemini exchange. These coins include popular options like Bitcoin, Ethereum and Bitcoin Cash, as well as less popular coins like Orchid and 0x.
- Can I transfer from Coinbase to Gemini?
- Yes — cryptocurrency is easy to send from one wallet to another, so it is easy to transfer crypto holdings from Coinbase to a Gemini wallet.
- Do investors own crypto on Gemini?
- When users purchase cryptocurrency on Gemini, the altcoins go into their personal Gemini wallets, meaning they do own the cryptocurrencies they've purchased.
- Is the Gemini app legit?
- Gemini is the 10th most used cryptocurrency trading app online, with more than $110 million in altcoins traded on the platform daily. This high level of popularity is not achieved without legitimacy.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by Gemini. Any opinions, analyses, reviews, ratings or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by Gemini.
GOBankingRates maintains editorial independence. While we may receive compensation from actions taken after clicking on links within our content, no content has been supplied by any advertiser prior to publication. We always recommend reviewing the terms and conditions of any offer before signing up or applying.
Information on promotions is accurate as of April 25, 2022. Additional requirements may apply. Offers and terms are subject to change.
Our in-house research team and on-site financial experts work together to create content that’s accurate, impartial, and up to date. We fact-check every single statistic, quote and fact using trusted primary resources to make sure the information we provide is correct. You can learn more about GOBankingRates’ processes and standards in our editorial policy.