People’s United Bank Review: Regional Bank Variety Meets Community Bank Customer Service
Breadth of Products
Range of Services
Opening Deposit Requirements
- Wide range of deposit accounts, loans and other services
- Perks and discounts available with select accounts
- No maintenance fees on select accounts
- Annual percentage yield on many products is below the national average
- Some accounts have high minimum balance requirements to avoid fees
- Service area restricted to the Northeast
About People’s United Bank
People’s United Bank is a subsidiary of People’s United Financial, a publicly traded company with more than $60 billion in assets. The bank is based in Bridgeport, Connecticut, and has more than 400 branches and 600 ATMs in the Northeast. People’s United also has 148 Stop & Shop branch locations in Connecticut and New York. GOBankingRates has ranked it as one of the Best CD Accounts of 2021.
People’s United Bank Products
People’s United Bank offers a wide range of banking, borrowing and investing products. In addition to checking, savings and money market accounts, the bank also offers retirement and education savings accounts and mortgages. Here’s a quick rundown:
One of the main strengths of People’s United Bank is its diverse range of products. Customers can choose from several checking, savings and money market accounts, as well as a variety of CDs.
People’s United Bank Checking Accounts
People’s United Bank offers three traditional checking accounts and two specialized accounts. The top-tier Premier Advantage Checking account rebates third-party ATM fees — even internationally. See how these accounts compare with the best checking accounts.
- Digital identity protection
- Mobile check deposit
- Cash-back rewards on select accounts
- International ATM fee rebates available with some accounts
- Range of extras for certain accounts, such as discounts on loans and safety deposit box rentals
- High monthly fees for top-tier checking accounts, though these can be waived
People’s United Bank Savings Accounts
People’s United Bank offers three savings accounts: Plus Savings, Advantage Savings and Premier Advantage Savings. You won’t pay a monthly service fee on any of them, and they all have the same $50 minimum opening deposit. Compare these accounts with the best savings accounts.
- APY between 0.01% to 0.02%
- Mobile banking
- Fast transfers between accounts
- Access to more than 600 ATMs and 400 branches
- No monthly service charges
- Low opening deposit minimum
- APY lower than the national average of 0.05%
People’s United Bank Money Market Accounts
People’s United Bank has three money market accounts — Plus, Advantage and Premier Advantage. Interest rates are tiered, so the largest balances earn the highest APY with these money market accounts.
- No monthly service fees
- APY between 0.01% to 0.10%
- Minimum opening deposit of $2,500
- Three accounts to choose from
- No maintenance fees
- Tiered interest rate encourages saving habits
- Must have a corresponding checking account
People’s United Bank CD Accounts
People’s United offers an impressive array of Plus CDs, with 16 maturities ranging from 91 days to five years. That’s one of the reasons why GOBankingRates has named it one of the Best CD Accounts of 2021. CDs at People’s United have different rates and terms at different branches, so be sure to check with your local branch to find out what it offers and get the best CD rates.
- Terms between 91 days to five years
- APY between 0.05% to 0.60%
- $500 to $1,000 minimum deposit
- Variety of CD terms available
- Premium rates for checking customers
- APY for most CDs is below the national average of 0.16% for a 12-month CD
People’s United Bank prides itself on providing top-notch customer service and convenient access to your accounts. When you need help, a representative can be reached by phone seven days a week. You can also visit a branch, use live chat or email customer service reps.
Customer service representatives are available by phone Monday through Sunday from 7 a.m. until 11 p.m. EST. Representatives also answer questions through the bank’s social media channels until 11 p.m. EST.
Accessibility and Branch Availability
People’s United is easily accessible to customers in its service area, which includes Connecticut, New York, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. It has more than 400 branches in the region. Customers also have access to 600 ATMs across the Northeast. In New York and Connecticut, the bank has 148 Stop & Shop locations.
Mobile and Digital Experience
People’s United customers can access their accounts online and through the bank’s mobile app. The app has a rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars on the App Store and a rating of 4.3 on Google Play. Highlights include the ability to manage debit cards, send money to family and friends and monitor accounts from other banks.
People’s United is most convenient for customers who live in the bank’s Northeast service area, though you can also conduct bank business anywhere and anytime online or with the mobile app.
How To Open an Account
You can open a People’s United Bank account at a branch, online or via the mobile app. You must be 18 or older to apply. Here’s what you need to do:
- Provide personal information such as your name, Social Security number and date of birth.
- Present your driver’s license, which you can scan if you are using the mobile app.
- Fund your account with a check or transfer from another account.
Customer Service Number: 800-894-0300
Routing Number: 221172186
Promotions: See Newest People’s United Promos and Bonuses
Login: People’s United Login Help
People’s United Bank Fees
Like most banks, People’s United charges fees for certain activities and services. Here’s a rundown:
|Monthly maintenance||$10 to $30|
|Outgoing wire transfer||$30 to $40|
|Incoming wire transfer||$15|
|Dormant account||$5 per month|
You can avoid paying these fees by monitoring your balances and not using the services. Monthly maintenance fees can be waived if you meet the minimum balance requirements.
People’s United Bank vs. Competitors
When checking out a People’s United Bank review, see how the bank compares to other financial institutions. Here’s how it stacks up to some of its rivals:
|People’s United Bank||Customers in the northeast who want one-stop banking|
|Ally Bank||Customers comfortable with completely online banking|
|Synchrony Bank||Customers interested only in high-yield savings options|
|Discover Bank||Customers who want to earn cash back on everyday purchases|
People’s United Bank vs. Ally Bank
If you like knowing you can walk into a local branch to speak with a banker, then People’s United Bank gets the nod. But Ally, an online-only bank, is a better choice for customers who are willing to trade the convenience of local branch access for a higher APY on savings accounts.
People’s United Bank vs. Synchrony Bank
People’s United has three different money market accounts designed to meet the needs of different customers. Synchrony Bank offers just one money market account, but it comes with an impressive 0.40% APY.
People’s United Bank vs. Discover Bank
People’s United Bank offers a greater variety of accounts, so every customer can find an account that meets their needs. Discover Bank has the edge with its cash-back debit card, which lets customers earn cash back on all their purchases, regardless of the merchant. The Peoples United cash-back program is restricted to select merchants.
Is People’s United Bank Good?
If you live or work in People’s United Bank’s six-state service area, it might be the right place to put your money. The bank is a good choice for those who enjoy numerous deposit accounts and investment and loan options, and it delivers most of these products with additional perks and without monthly fees.
People’s United’s Debit Rewards program gives you cash back when you use your debit card at select merchants. The program is free, and you’re automatically enrolled when you open a Plus, Student Plus or ePlus checking account. If your favorite merchants are part of the program, you can bank some extra cash when you shop.
People's United Bank FAQHere are the answers to some commonly asked questions about People's United Bank.
- Is Peoples Bank the same as People's United Bank?
- There are several banks in the U.S. under the "Peoples" brand. These banks are not the same as People's United Bank.
- How Many People's United Bank locations are there?
- People's United Bank has more than 400 branches in the Northeast. It also has more than 600 of its own ATMs for customers to use.
- Does People's United Bank use ChexSystems?
- People's United Bank does use ChexSystems to assess an applicant's risk. ChexSystems is a consumer reporting agency that assigns a score to individuals, similar to a credit score. Scores range from 100 to 899, with a higher score indicating a lower risk.
- What time does direct deposit hit People's United Bank?
- Funds from direct deposits are available the same day they are received. The bank's website does not list a specific time when the money hits the account.
- Does People's United Bank offer free money for signing up for an account?
- Yes; the People's United website recently ran a promotion offering up to $400 in bonus money for opening a new checking account and adding a savings and money market account.
This article has been updated with additional reporting since its original publication.
Rates are subject to change. Information on accounts is accurate as of Jan. 27, 2021.
This content is not provided by People’s United Bank. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by People’s United Bank.