You might feel like summer is just heating up, but it’s already time for back-to-school shopping. According to historical data from shopping site RetailMeNot, the back-to-school sales season spans nearly three months, with peak demand for school items coming on the weekend of Aug. 5. Sixty-six percent of school shopping occurs between July 4 and Labor Day.
However, it pays to wait for cheap school supplies like discounted clothing and software. Last year, the average discount school supply deal was 30 percent.
School Supplies and Back-to-School Essentials
With all these deals, you have a good shot at finding a discount on every item on your school supplies list.
- Amazon: When it comes to back-to-school essentials, Amazon has it all — and the retailer has it for up to 73 percent off. No coupon code is needed to save on a huge range of items at your online school supply store.
- JCPenney: No coupon code is needed to take up to half off back-to-school essentials.
- Office Depot and OfficeMax: Use coupon code 92128439 to take 30 percent off orders of $30 on back-to-school items, with some exclusions.
- Target: No coupon code is needed to take up to 30 percent off lunch bags, backpacks and more.
- Walmart: Back-to-School Smart Rollbacks are happening now for back-to-school classroom essentials at Walmart.
Keep on Saving: Walmart Shopping Tricks to Get the Most Bang for Your Buck
School Clothing and Shoes Savings
Send your kids to school with all the best shoes and gear without paying full price.
- Gap: The Gap back-to-school sale gives shoppers up to 50 percent off sitewide, plus an extra 20 percent off with coupon code MORE. Some exclusions apply.
- Sears: Use coupon code SUMMER17 to take an extra 20 percent off back-to-school apparel or 25 percent off with Sears card purchases.
- Shoe Carnival: Print this coupon to take $5 off purchases of at least $39.98 at the Shoe Carnival back-to-school event, which ends Sept. 5.
- Wayfair: The Best Deals on Campus event offers 70 percent off back-to-college items.
Back-to-School Discounts for Teachers
From teacher supplies and classroom gear to clothes and kicks, educators know that summer is the season of saving. Here’s how to save on school supplies for teachers.
- Aerosoles: No coupon code is needed for teachers to take 15 percent off footwear over $39.99.
- Anthropologie: Teachers with valid ID can take 20 percent off full-price items.
- Family Christian: Get half off a standard lesson commentary when you purchase a teacher’s study Bible.
- Jo-Ann Fabric and Crafts: Educators get 15 percent off all purchases everyday when they sign up for the Teacher Rewards Discount Card.
- Lakeshore Learning: Print this coupon or use code 6769 to get a free teacher’s plan book with any $20 purchase through Sept. 3.
- Mardel: Take 20 percent off select classroom resources and decor.
- Mead: Teachers can take 25 percent off sitewide. No coupon code needed.
Discounts for Both Teachers and Students
If a business offers a teacher store discount, chances are good students can benefit, too.
- Adobe: No coupon is needed for students and teachers to take 60 percent off Creative Cloud software.
- Banana Republic: The Style With Class discount lets both students and teachers with valid ID take 15 percent off full-price, in-store purchases.
- J.Crew: Teachers and college students with valid ID can take 15 percent off in-store purchases without needing a coupon or code.
- Red Giant: Both students and teachers can take 50 percent off regular store prices.
- Tommy Hilfiger: Students, teachers and military personnel can take 15 percent off their orders without any coupon code.
For students, parents and teachers across the country, summer is the time for back-to-school savings.
Summer’s Not Over Yet: 25 Destinations to Visit With Your Kids