It’s tough to build credit when you don’t have a credit history. The OpenSky credit card is a financial product that aims to help those who are in that situation. With no credit check and an 87% acceptance rate, this secured credit card is designed for people who need to build or improve their credit scores.
The OpenSky credit card might be a great fit if you’re looking for a straightforward secured credit card from a reputable company. There’s no minimum credit score requirement, and the credit limit is flexible. Here’s everything you need to know to help you decide whether it’s right for you.
Is OpenSky a Good Way To Build Credit?
The OpenSky credit card is secured, meaning you have to provide a deposit in the amount of your credit limit. For example, if you want a $300 credit limit, you need to give a cash deposit of $300.
The deposit minimizes the risk for the lender — if you don’t pay your balance, the lender can use the deposit to pay it off. For people with bad credit or no credit history, a secured credit card is a straightforward way to build credit.
As you pay your monthly balance, the bank reports your payment history to the three major credit bureaus. Payment history is one factor that impacts your credit score.
Is OpenSky a Legitimate Company?
The OpenSky credit card is legitimate. Capital Bank, an FDIC-insured bank, issues it.
The Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. provides insurance coverage that offers reimbursement if there is a bank failure. FDIC insurance does not impact credit cards, but the insurance highlights that the bank is legitimate.
The OpenSky card is also a Visa-branded credit card. Because of that, it has additional protections through Visa, including zero-liability protection, which ensures you are not responsible for any fraudulent charges.
Does OpenSky Require a Credit Check?
The OpenSky credit card does not require a credit check. To apply, you must answer a few questions and provide information like your name, address and proof of identification.
You don’t need a credit check to get the card because you have to give a refundable deposit for the amount of your credit limit.
Credit checks are a way for lenders to minimize risk and ensure customers do not default on payments. But thanks to the deposits, secured cards reduce risk as well. The OpenSky credit card is secured, which is why it does not require a credit check.
Does the OpenSky Secured Credit Card Charge Fees?
The OpenSky secured credit card charges an annual fee of $35. Late payment fees are up to $38, and returned payment fees are $25.
There’s also a 3% foreign transaction fee. The fees are relatively standard for similar secured cards in this category.
What Are the Pros and Cons of the OpenSky Credit Card?
The OpenSky secured credit card offers unique benefits that generally outweigh potential drawbacks.
Here are some pros and cons you might want to consider.
- Flexible credit limit: You can have a credit limit between $200 and $3,000, depending on the size of your deposit.
- No credit check: Because it’s a secured credit card, there’s no credit check required, which is excellent news for people with low credit scores or no credit history.
- No checking account required: Unlike most credit cards, you don’t need a checking account to open the credit card. You can send your deposit in the mail.
- Annual fee: The card charges a $35 annual fee. It’s not a hefty fee, but it’s important to note before signing up.
- Foreign transaction fee: You’ll pay a 3% foreign transaction fee for international purchases.
- No additional perks: Most secured cards don’t come with other perks like welcome bonuses or the option to earn points. This secured card is no exception.
The OpenSky credit card is a solid choice if you need to build credit. It offers a flexible credit limit that makes it easier to maintain a reasonable credit utilization rate.
Plus, there are no credit checks required. OpenSky stands out as a user-friendly option compared to other secured cards on the market.
- Is the OpenSky secured credit card legitimate?
- The OpenSky secured credit card is a legitimate choice for people who need to build credit. Capital Bank is insured by the FDIC. Plus, because the OpenSky card is a Visa-branded card, it offers extra protection against fraud.
- What is the phone number for OpenSky customer service?
- You can contact an OpenSky customer service representative by calling 855-763-6736.
- Is OpenSky owned by Capital One?
- Capital Bank issues the OpenSky secured credit card. Capital Bank is a different company than Capital One.
- What is the credit limit for the OpenSky credit card?
- Your credit limit can be between $200 and $3,000, depending on the size of your deposit. OpenSky cardholders are required to provide a refundable deposit of at least $200. But if you want a higher credit limit, you can deposit up to $3,000.
Information is accurate as of May 31, 2023.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by any entity covered in this article. Any opinions, analyses, reviews, ratings or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any entity named in this article.