Investors Bank Review: Competitive Rates and Lots of Accounts to Choose From
Breadth of Products
- Large selection of deposit accounts
- Competitive rates on many accounts
- Debit card rewards rivaling some credit cards rewards programs
- Special perks for New York Giants and New Jersey Devils fans who open a team-themed checking account
- Lots of fees and account restrictions
- IRA CDs not available online
- No credit cards offered
About Investors Bank
Investors Bank is the official bank of the New York Giants and the New Jersey Devils, but you don’t have to be a sports fan to bank here. At its founding in 1926, the bank was committed to making mortgage loans to encourage home ownership in the Millburn-Short Hills area of New Jersey. Today’s Investors Bank has 155 branch offices located throughout New Jersey and New York. In addition to providing loans and deposit accounts to individuals, Investors Bank offers small business as well as commercial and institutional banking products and services.
Investors Bank Products
Investors Bank’s personal banking focuses on just a few things: deposit accounts, personal loans and, in keeping with its original mission, mortgage lending. However, you’ll find a comprehensive selection of products within those categories.
|Money Market Accounts||
Investors Bank Checking Accounts
Investors Bank offers five checking accounts serviced by its branch locations, plus an online-only account. The in-branch accounts range from a basic Consumer Checking account with no minimum balance requirements and a low monthly fee to the YourStyle Plus Checking account designed for YourStyle Plus Money Market or High Yield Savings account customers. Other options include New York Giants and New Jersey Devils themed checking accounts providing team-related perks such as merchandise discounts and exclusive event access.
- Free online banking, bill paying and e-statements
- YourStyle Perks such as cell protection, identity theft protection and mobile coupons for discounts on travel, leisure and shopping
- UChoose Rewards points on debit card purchases and mobile purchases from participating retailers
- Four free non-Investors Bank ATM withdrawals per month for team-themed accounts and YourStyle Checking and Consumer Checking accounts
- Good benefits with New York Giants Checking and New Jersey Devils Checking accounts
- YourStyle Perks cell protection with to $300 for repair or replacement costs for up to three stolen or damaged phones
- Competitive APY rates on YourStyle Plus Checking balances of $2,500 and over
- Valuable rewards programs
- Non-waivable Consumer Checking monthly fee of $3
- Just one interest-bearing account
Investors Bank Savings Accounts
Although Investors Bank has fewer savings accounts available online, the accounts it does offer cover all the bases for most customers. A basic Passbook Savings account and a Retirement Statement Savings account are available in-branch only. YourStyle Savings has a $5 monthly fee that’s waived if you maintain a $300 balance. The High Yield Savings account for YourStyle Plus Checking customers offers a premium rate.
- Standard and high-yield accounts
- Competitive rates on regular-yield account balances that earn interest
- Two free non-Investors ATM withdrawals per statement period with YourStyle Savings
- $5 monthly fee for YourStyle Savings waived for students, seniors and active-duty or retired U.S. military personnel
- Monthly fee can be waived with a $300 balance
- Limited free non-Investors ATM withdrawals
- Competitive rates on Retirement Statement Savings
- $50 minimum opening deposit for YourStyle Savings
- No interest on savings balances below $50
- Comparatively low rates on High Yield Savings account
Investors Bank Money Market Accounts
You’ll find no fewer than four money market accounts available online or in-branch at Investors Bank, plus an online-only eAccess Money Market account. Maximizer Money Market is essentially a promotional account that automatically converts to a Consumer Money Market account after one year. In the meantime, it earns Investors’ best non-Relationship rates. YourStyle Plus, the relationship account available to YourStyle Plus Checking account holders, pays the highest rates, currently 0.30% APY to 0.55% APY, depending on the balance. The eAccess account’s rate falls short of the relationship account’s, but you can open an account with $0 and earn interest on up to $2 million.
- Up to six transfers per month to other accounts
- Limited check writing
- Tiered interest rates
- All balances pay interest
- Two free non-Investors Bank ATM withdrawals from YourStyle Money Market account per statement cycle
- Low $50 minimum opening deposit for Edge Money Market and YourStyle Money Market accounts
- Waivable service fees
- YourStyle Plus relationship rate increase of 0.25% APY to 0.40% APY, depending on the balance
- Maximizer Money Market account requires a high $10,000 opening deposit
- No premium rate on balances less than $200,000 except with the Relationship account
Investors Bank CD Accounts
You can open most Investors Bank CDs with a $500 deposit, but you’ll need $10,000 for the 13-month Special CD, which offers the same annual percentage yield as the 36-month CD. The IRA version of the 13-month Special CD requires a $5,500 opening deposit. Investors Bank also offers an online-only eAccess CD with terms of six or 10 months. Most CDs have penalties for early withdrawal, but they’re a good choice for earning interest on longer-term savings.
- Terms from three to 60 months
- No-risk, tax-advantaged retirement savings with IRA CD
- eAccess CD allows no-penalty withdrawals for the first six months
- Special CD offers a comparatively higher rate with the convenience of a shorter term
- Reasonable $500 minimum deposit for all except Special CD
- High opening deposit for Special CDs
- IRA CDs not available online
Your experience with Investors Bank is likely to be a positive one as long as you have flexibility in where you bank — at a branch office or online. Although you can open and maintain most accounts either way, Investors does have in-branch-only accounts and online-only accounts that might work better for you than the hybrid offerings.
Customer support is available by phone at 855-422-6548 during the hours of 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday, and from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays.
Current customers can chat with customer service reps or use secure messaging through online banking. If you’re not yet a customer, you can use the email form on the Investors Bank website to send a general question or support request.
Investors Bank has 155 branch offices in New Jersey and New York, concentrated in North Jersey, the northern beach areas and the Interstate 95 corridor. New York branches extend across to the western half of Long Island and into the boroughs.
Appointments are recommended due to restrictions on the number of customers permitted in branch offices. Use the appointment request form on the bank’s website to schedule a visit.
Mobile and Digital Experience
Manage your accounts, pay bills, check your credit score, review statements, send money, manage YourStyle Perks security features and connect to your Quicken software through Investors Bank’s online banking. Most online banking services are available 24/7.
Use mobile banking to access and manage your accounts on the go, send money with Zelle, deposit checks and pay for purchases using a mobile wallet. Facial and fingerprint recognition give you fast and secure access to your accounts. The app gets 3.9 out of five stars on Google Play and 4.8 stars in the App Store.
Customers who do some banking online and live near a branch office should find Investors to be a highly convenient place to bank.
How To Open an Account
You can open most accounts online using your computer, smartphone or tablet. Have the following items ready before you start:
- Contact information
- Physical address
- Valid email address
- Social Security number
- Government-issued ID, such as driver’s license or passport
- Current bank account information to make the opening deposit in your new Investors Bank account
Customer Service Number: 855-422-6548
Routing Number: 221272031
Investors Bank Fees
Most Investors Bank accounts have monthly service fees, which you can avoid by meeting minimum balance and transaction requirements. Other fees, such as overdrafts and out-of-network ATM transactions, can be avoided by keeping track of your balances and minimizing the number of withdrawals you make.
Here are fees you might encounter at Investors Bank:
|Overdraft and non-sufficient funds||$30|
|Excess withdrawals||-$3 after four allowed with most checking accounts
-Two allowed from Statement Savings and YourStyle Money Market accounts
|Wire transfers||-Incoming: $10
-Domestic outgoing: $25
-International outgoing: $45
|Inactivity fee||$5 per month|
Investors Bank vs. Competitors
It pays to compare several banks before deciding which is the best bank for you. Here’s a look at how Investors Bank stacks up against other community banks located in the New Jersey or New York area.
|Investors Bank||Selection of accounts and account perks|
|OceanFirst Bank||Free rewards checking|
|ConnectOne Bank||Competitive rates|
|Columbia Bank||Free high-yield checking|
Investors Bank vs. OceanFirst Bank
OceanFirst has a free rewards checking account with unlimited U.S. ATM use. But when it comes to rates, Investors Bank is the clear winner.
Investors Bank vs. ConnectOne Bank
ConnectOne Bank’s rates for online savings accounts beat Investors Bank savings account rates by a wide margin on balances of $2,500 and up. However, you won’t earn any interest at all unless you have a $2,500 balance. Most Investors Bank accounts earn interest from the first dollar you deposit.
Investors Bank vs. Columbia Bank
Columbia Bank offers a Yield Plus Checking account that outearns Investors Bank’s rates on balances of $1,000 or more — and it’s free. That said, Investors Bank comes with perks that can save you more money in the long run than you’re likely to earn in interest — especially if you take advantage of the exclusive benefits offered by the Giants- and Devils-themed accounts.
If you’re looking for a community bank focused on serving New Jersey and New York residents, Investors Bank could be the one for you. Solid account choices and a robust digital platform make this an excellent choice, especially for customers who might need other bank services, such as a home loan.
More Banks With Competitive Rates
- Ally Bank
- Amboy Direct Bank
- Barclays Bank
- Comenity Direct
- CIT Bank
- Marcus by Goldman Sachs
- Bellco Credit Union
- Eastman Credit Union
- Lake Michigan Credit Union
- Security Service Federal Credit Union
- State Employees’ Credit Union
- Wright-Patt Credit Union
Investors Bank’s team-themed accounts are standouts. The perks they offer are certain to appeal to Giants and Devils fans.
Investors Bank FAQHere are the answers to some commonly asked questions about Investors Bank.
- How does the Investors eAccess bonus work?
- The Investors eAccess Checking bonus rewards new checking customers with a bonus of $25 per month for up to 10 months after you open your account. To be eligible, you must maintain an average balance of $1,000 each month. You must also receive $500 in automated clearing house or mobile deposits or make 10 point-of-sale debit purchases each month.
- What is the Investors Bank customer service number?
- The customer service number is 855-422-6548.
- How do I find an Investors Bank near me?
- Visit the branch locator page on the Investors Bank website to find a location near you.
- Where is the Investors Bank headquarters?
- Investors Bank's corporate headquarters is located in Short Hills, New Jersey.
- Does Investors Bank offer free money for signing up for an account?
- Yes. Investors Bank is offering the same bonus described above, for Investors eAccess Checking, to customers who open a YourStyle Checking account. You must be a new Investors Bank checking customer to qualify.
Rates are subject to change. Information on accounts is accurate as of Feb. 3, 2021.
This content is not provided by Investors Bank. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by Investors Bank.