Is Disney+ Worth the Cost or Should You Save Your Money?
Over the past year, many people have streamed more content than ever before. Since COVID-19 regulations closed movie theatres, there are a ton of streaming services that offer both series reboots and original content.
There are so many streaming options, so people have some hard choices to make. How do you know if Disney+ is worth the cost?
How Much Is Disney+?
You can get Disney+ for $6.99 a month. Disney+ now offers a deal where you can get Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+ for as low as $12.99 a month. However, the price for this package will be going up to $13.99 a month by March 26, 2021. The price of Disney+, by itself, will go up to $7.99 a month on the same day.
Your budget probably doesn’t allow you to subscribe to every streaming service, so you may be asking yourself if Disney+ is worth it. It depends on what kind of content you like to watch.
What Does Disney+ Offer?
Disney has a huge advantage as a streaming service due to the vault of Disney films they have. Disney+ also offers movies and shows from the Marvel Universe, Star Wars, National Geographic and Pixar.
Disney Plus spent $71.3 billion to acquire the film and TV rights to Twentieth Century Fox, so they could add those titles to their offerings. Disney has also invested in a ton of original programming so they can compete with Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.
With Disney Parks shuttered for part of 2020 due to the coronavirus, Disney is hoping the streaming service can pick up the slack. It seems to be working. Disney Plus is ranked #3 in streaming services, despite only being available since November of 2019.
Disney+ offers you Star Wars content, the Marvel Universe, The Simpsons and National Geographic, as well as the vault of Disney movies and original content they’re investing in.
How Does Disney Plus Stack up Against Competitors?
If you’re considering Disney+, perhaps it would help to compare it to what other streaming services offer.
Netflix offers a wide variety of both original and licensed content. The base price is $8.99 a month and it’s the most popular streaming service.
- Wide variety of movies and series, both original and licensed
- Plans start at $8.99 a month, up to $17.99 a month for 4K Ultra HD
- No original sports content
- Popular films and TV series leave Netflix programming–such as “The Office” in December 2020
- The basic plan includes ads
Amazon Prime Video offers hits such as “The Expanse” and “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.”
- Amazon has the most shows of any streaming service
- Great original content
- Plans start at $8.99 a month
- Planning to start offering NFL games on Thursday nights in 2021
- Supports 4K Ultra HD
- Not as much kid-friendly content as Disney
- Some content still needs to be rented or bought separately to be watched
HBO Max has a huge variety of movies and shows, including some original content.
- No ads
- Parental control features
- Warner Brothers will release original movies directly to HBO Max in 2021
- At $15 a month, HBO Max is one of the most expensive streaming services
- HBO Max can be added to your Hulu account instead of being a separate streaming service you pay for.
Peacock is the subscription version of NBC. They offer a ton of NBC series and premium subscribers have access to over 20,000 programs. The recent hit “Yellowstone” is available on Peacock.
- Free version available
- Flexible pricing options
- Live sports
- If you get the free version, you’ll still have ads
- No offline downloads
- Not all NBC shows are available
What’s Next for Disney Plus?
Like many companies, Disney has had to adjust to the post-pandemic world. Disney gets much of its revenue from Disney Parks and cruise ships, which have suffered during the pandemic.
On investor day, Disney confirmed six live-action series and several animated projects and movies coming in 2021. Many new Star Wars series and season three of “The Mandalorian” have been greenlit. Recognizing a hit when they see one, Disney Plus has a slew of new Star Wars content coming up for 2021 and beyond.
A Treat for Marvel Fans
If you’re a Marvel fan, you can look forward to “The Falcon and the Winter Soldier,” “Loki,” and “What if?”–and “WandaVision” is shaping up to be Disney’s next big hit. Some theatrical releases Disney has in the works will go straight to Disney+.
Is Disney+ Worth It?
Whether or not Disney+ is worth it to you or not comes down to content. Will you watch what’s on Disney+? Would you watch more of a different streaming service?
Disney has announced a new streaming service aimed at adults called Star, but you can’t get it in the U.S. However, you can bundle Hulu together with ESPN+ for other content that isn’t specifically geared towards children. If you have any sports fans in your house, bundling Disney+ with Hulu and ESPN+ is a no-brainer.
Disney Plus offers a lot of movies and a few original series. Disney appears to be beefing up their original content for 2021 and beyond, especially with new series. “The Mandalorian” was a huge hit, and Disney would like to repeat that same success.
If you have children, there’s plenty to keep them entertained on Disney+. For adults, Star Wars and Marvel fans will find plenty to keep them interested. There is a lack of entertainment aimed at adults, although you could argue that Disney is generally aimed at kids and kids-at-heart.
At $6.99 a month, Disney Plus is one of the cheaper streaming services available. For the money, Disney+ offers good value.
Our in-house research team and on-site financial experts work together to create content that’s accurate, impartial, and up to date. We fact-check every single statistic, quote and fact using trusted primary resources to make sure the information we provide is correct. You can learn more about GOBankingRates’ processes and standards in our editorial policy.
- Cable TV. "Netflix Review: Plans, Costs, Shows and Movies."
- The Sacramento Bee. 2020. "How Can You Watch 'The Office' Once It Leaves Netflix?"
- U.S. News. 2020. "Best Streaming Services of 2021."
- PC Mag. "The Best Video Streaming Services for 2021."
- Inside The Magic. 2020. " Disney+ Will Be Offering More Adult Content Very Soon."
- Cable TV. 2021. "Best TV Streaming Services for 2021."